Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #91
arneb
arneb began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M92
Getting notes and highlighted text from pdf

I got a M92 device 2 weeks ago, unfortunatly it was broken so i had to send it back and only got a quick look.

But: Getting the notes and especially the highlighted text from the device is mandatory for me. As i want to use the device to manage my scientific papers. I could live with a solution to run a program to include the internal sketch/sqlite db into the pdf and vice versa (For managing the papers on PC, i will use docear). But as the sketch file seems to include some binary blob for the actual highlighting i wonder if the internal structure of that records is known or if the upcoming firmware is addressing this issue?

I really like the display of the onyx and it would be a pity to be forced to use an android tablet just because of the pdf-readers that support correct highlighting on that platform...
arneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:40 AM   #92
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by arneb View Post
I got a M92 device 2 weeks ago, unfortunatly it was broken so i had to send it back and only got a quick look.

But: Getting the notes and especially the highlighted text from the device is mandatory for me. As i want to use the device to manage my scientific papers. I could live with a solution to run a program to include the internal sketch/sqlite db into the pdf and vice versa (For managing the papers on PC, i will use docear). But as the sketch file seems to include some binary blob for the actual highlighting i wonder if the internal structure of that records is known or if the upcoming firmware is addressing this issue?

I really like the display of the onyx and it would be a pity to be forced to use an android tablet just because of the pdf-readers that support correct highlighting on that platform...
As I have been saying for quite some time: unfit for serious work.
To implement decent PDF handling is just not enough.
But wait, there is hope - or another bait to attract guinea pigs ...

Ectaco Color
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=167587
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:34 AM   #93
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
As I have been saying for quite some time: unfit for serious work.
To implement decent PDF handling is just not enough.
But wait, there is hope - or another bait to attract guinea pigs ...

Ectaco Color
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=167587
I am closely watching that one too.
It is interesting that the latest review is saying that the resolution is higher than 800x600 which seem to be a surprise for everybody.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:15 AM   #94
LovePlanetEarth
Connoisseur
LovePlanetEarth began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92 Black (Finally!!!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
-when you highlight something it would be nice to have the highlighted text added automatically as comment.
This is exactly what I want as well!!!

Hope for better
LovePlanetEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:18 AM   #95
LovePlanetEarth
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy View Post
I had a lot of large readers yet and for me, the M92, is the really best. Kindle DX has no folders, so you have to search around all times, and no scribbling in the text,PDF reading doesent work. PB is well I think, very good TTS in many languages!! but too slow, the M92 is really quick in searching contents, books underlining, etc. The Entourage edge is really interesting but the boot time is too long. So I really would like to scribble in the epub format and export annotations too, but for scientific reading (mostly text pdfs) the M92 fits.
This is very reassuring!!!
Old 02-04-2012, 02:31 AM   #96
LovePlanetEarth
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backi View Post
A new, faster (not necessarily color) ereader from PocketBook will overtop Onyx.
But there is NONE!!!

I'm about to buy my first e-reader ever and I've been meaning to do this for 2 months already...
Can't wait longer!

So, the only option is M92!
Old 02-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #97
Backi
Connoisseur
Backi has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: PB912 Matt White
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovePlanetEarth View Post
But there is NONE!!!

I'm about to buy my first e-reader ever and I've been meaning to do this for 2 months already...
Can't wait longer!

So, the only option is M92!
I returned my M92 and bought PB912 instead. I am very happy with it (it's my first ereader, too).
I am not concerned about PDF cropping, because I'm reading PDFs in landcape mode, which has its advantages: I read text in chunks and don't feel overwhelmed by too much text at once, the font is bigger and thus lets ignore the bit older Vizplex display. Moreover the PocketBook cover allows me to place the device like a book:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02652.JPG
Views:	505
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	82113  

Last edited by Backi; 02-04-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Backi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:24 AM   #98
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
I returned my M92 and bought PB912 instead. I am very happy with it (it's my first ereader, too).
I am not concerned about PDF cropping, because I'm reading PDFs in landcape mode, which has its advantages: I read text in chunks and don't feel overwhelmed by too much text at once, the font is bigger and thus lets ignore the bit older Vizplex display. Moreover the PocketBook cover allows me to place the device like a book:
Are you saying that reading PDFs in landscape mode is not possible with M92??
There must be other reasons why you returned the M92
I am not very familiar with PB ..in what respect is better than M92?/ according with jbaach M92 is better and I tend to believe him, he did a pretty good job reviewing M92

http://baach.de/Members/jhb/-compari...-onyx-boox-m92
Old 02-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #99
Backi
Connoisseur
Backi has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Quote:
That's not what I said. PB has no "Hide margins" zoom option (yet ) like M92 and you have to use briss for PB, but it's irrelevant for me, because I read PDFs in landscape mode, so I can ignore the margins.

Quote:
I am not very familiar with PB ..in what respect is better than M92?/ according with jbaach M92 is better and I tend to believe him, he did a pretty good job reviewing M92

I wrote some thoughts about M92 already here. The hardware is good, but not the software quality. PB makes a more matured impression.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #100
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
I wrote some thoughts about M92 already here. The hardware is good, but not the software quality. PB makes a more matured impression.
Not very convincing.
From my point of view the only need I have is to decently read and annotate PDFs. That seems to be fine. Although you see to use it mainly for the same purpose you are not very clear what was wrong with M92 in this respect or maoby I don't understand it...
Old 02-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #101
Backi
Connoisseur

Quote:
Not very convincing.
From my point of view the only need I have is to decently read and annotate PDFs. That seems to be fine. Although you see to use it mainly for the same purpose you are not very clear what was wrong with M92 in this respect or maoby I don't understand it...
Why should I have to convince you? It feels, like you're trying to defend M92.
Instead if relying on somebody's clips, you should make your own opinion: Buy both devices and compare. That's what I've done and I decided for PB. That was an overall personal impression and I think, it's hard to mediate it. Found bugs on M92, the issue with dead pixels etc. made my decision more intense towards PB and more cautious towards Onyx overall.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #102
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
Why should I have to convince you? It feels, like you're trying to defend M92.
Instead if relying on somebody's clips, you should make your own opinion: Buy both devices and compare. That's what I've done and I decided for PB. That was an overall personal impression and I think, it's hard to mediate it. Found bugs on M92, the issue with dead pixels etc. made my decision more intense towards PB and more cautious towards Onyx overall.
Ups! Perhaps it was wrong wording ...otherwise I can't explain why you would refuse a dialogue on this.... Continuing your logic ..why bother to post any opinion here, we should all buy the device and see for ourselves.

I am not trying to defend anything... just trying to decide based on arguments.
If it wouldn't be for my eyes I would rather buy Asus slate e121 ..that is windows, has a pen and I don't need to bother with ereader to PC transfering. For 600$ you can get a factory refurbished Asus and you get much more functionality than you get from M92/Pocketbook/Jetbook (400-500$).
That is my opinion for now. Since I need eInk I will have to bite the bullet and buy an M92...

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 02-04-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #103
Backi
Connoisseur

Quote:
Ups! Perhaps it was wrong wording ...otherwise I can't explain why you would refuse a dialogue on this.... Continuing your logic ..why bother to post any opinion here, we should all buy the device and see for ourselves.
I don't refuse the dialog. You seem to like to put words in the other's mouth. You should make a final decision for yourself by regarding personally both devices and test your use cases on them. Based on jbaach's videos I would have bought only M92 and nearly dropped PB.

Quote:
I am not trying to defend anything... just trying to decide based on arguments.
OK, that's common sense. But how many arguments do you need for a buying decision? Color ereaders may come out this year, or a new PB model better than M92. You could wait forever for a killer argument.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #104
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
I don't refuse the dialog. You seem to like to put words in the other's mouth. You should make a final decision for yourself by regarding personally both devices and test your use cases on them. Based on jbaach's videos I would have bought only M92 and nearly dropped PB.

OK, that's common sense. But how many arguments do you need for a buying decision? Color ereaders may come out this year, or a new PB model better than M92. You could wait forever for a killer argument.
I was just waiting for better jetBook reviews. the contradicting statements regarding the resolution and nobody being very clear on the PDF annotating makes me reject that one so ...next week I will buy M92.

Edit: some clarification have been posted in the mean time in regards to PDF annotations on Jetbook. Now I am, again, split between the two

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 02-04-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #105
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:

If you watch the videos carefully you will notice a complete lack of mentioning any of the general shortcomings of the M92 software. It is a very thorough comparison of some aspects, particularly concerning handling PDFs, which most people are interested in.
Both devices are only at the beginning of a beginning ...
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote