Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #16
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

It was interesting to see how many books I read each year, and something slightly more than 100 seems to be typical. I will finish this year with about 115 books read. I don't think I will set an exact numerical goal next year.

So my challenge for next year is two four fold:

My Calibre library of unread books currently numbers 760, a daunting and in fact impossible goal for next year. However, of these I have currently flagged 124 as of great interest to me. Considering that I typically add 4-8 new books to the second of these lists monthly, my first goal for 2012 is to end the year with my of interest list at no more than 50 books.

The second goal is to read every book of the month for both the MR Book Club and the MR Literary Book Club.

I realized that I should also include another couple of items in my 2012 goals. To read all of the books selected for the afternoon and evening book clubs at my local library. That's an additional 22 books; both clubs skip December, the holidays.

Last edited by Hamlet53; 01-01-2012 at 08:23 AM. Reason: add more goals
Old 12-17-2011, 07:26 PM   #17
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
(or have due Real Soon at the library, which is actually the deciding factor in most cases).
I've decided fewer elibrary books next year for pretty much this reason. It drives my reading choices far too much.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2011, 09:51 PM   #18
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
I am so impressed with everyone who reads so many books a year! I know from experience that I can't come close to matching any of those numbers, despite my love of reading. I'm also a little wary to actually have a goal number since I'll be spending most of my next year taking care of a newborn and a toddler. I'm thinking I might not have a lot of reading time.

The goal I am setting for myself however is to read 50% Canadian content. At one point I considered doing an all-CanLit year, but I knew I would be cutting myself off from some other books that I wanted. So, 50% is a goal that I am comfortable with!
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:56 PM   #19
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I always start out with good intentions to keep a journal of books read and a short review, but, as the year moves on, I get lazy and don't keep up with it.

This year, I reserved a spot in the List thread and hope to have that as a reminder to keep up with my listing, even if I don't write a short review of each one.

I plan on not purchasing any new books for the first six months. That way I can catch up with my pile of pbooks and start reading a lot of the free and purchased books in my TBR list. That way, if I don't like a book, I can just delete it and move on and it will be out of my library files.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:01 AM   #20
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I plan on not purchasing any new books for the first six months.
Wow. Cold turkey for six months! That'll take a lot of will-power. I do suggest that you allow yourself to make an exception for any books from favourite authors/series that are on temporary very good discounts (say, 50% off or more).
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2011, 05:46 AM   #21
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Wow. Cold turkey for six months! That'll take a lot of will-power. I do suggest that you allow yourself to make an exception for any books from favourite authors/series that are on temporary very good discounts (say, 50% off or more).
That has been my problem with purchasing, so I have decided to read what I have to get the list down to manageable size. Of course, that goal does not include not using my already in-hand gift cards to purchase something. I just plan on not spending any non-gift card money.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:40 AM   #22
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraPony View Post
The goal I am setting for myself however is to read 50% Canadian content. At one point I considered doing an all-CanLit year, but I knew I would be cutting myself off from some other books that I wanted. So, 50% is a goal that I am comfortable with!
Are you affiliated with the CRTC?

I don't read enough Canadian content either, but given that Canada's population is somewhere around 0.5% of the world population, I don't feel bad that I've only put 3 of the 26 goal books I have on my list from Canada.

I usually only read about 20 books a year so 26 is still a healthy number. You can find the list on Goodreads or here.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:41 AM   #23
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Are you affiliated with the CRTC?

I don't read enough Canadian content either, but given that Canada's population is somewhere around 0.5% of the world population, I don't feel bad that I've only put 3 of the 26 goal books I have on my list from Canada.

I usually only read about 20 books a year so 26 is still a healthy number. You can find the list on Goodreads or here.
LOL - not in the least. I just really love 1) supporting and 2) engaging in content from my country. This year I have read 30 books (so far), 13 of which were written by Canadian authors. I follow the #CanLit hashtag on Twitter, Canada Reads, as well as all of the major Canadian awards (GG, Giller). It is what interests me!
Old 12-18-2011, 07:18 PM   #24
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
I have over 800 books in my calibre library so should have no problem finding 100 to read in 2012. This year I reread a lot of books so for 2012 I am only going to count books I've never read. I'm with Nyssa, I want to read the entire Honor Harrington series next year. Only the first would count as a re read so there's 9 right there. Also want read the JD Robb In Death series up to and including the new one. Good luck to everyone. Happy New Year of Reading!
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:25 PM   #25
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Like last year, I'm not going to have a set goal. Well, unless "List all my first-time-reads" counts as a goal :-D

I had no idea how many new books I read in a year (rather than reread). It looks like I'm going to break 60. How interesting!
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:51 PM   #26
narflet
narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 3
I set my self a challenge of 52 books this year - a book a week. That seems to have worked well. My goodreads stats is recording 98 books, but once graphic novels/comics and shorts have been removed that leaves me with 49 actual books (currently on my 50th).

So, I'm going for 52 again next year. It's a nice, comfortable amount.

As for specific things I'd like to read. This year I read all the James Bond books (and watched the film of the same name (for books only, not short stories)); Next year I'd like to read more non-fiction titles. I read 4 this year, I'd like to double that next. Other than that, whatever takes my fancy I guess. Although I've already got 6 shelved as 'to read' that are either part of ongoing series or from authors I like.

I'm also trialling the MR book club this month, so if I like it then I'll do that next year too.
narflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:49 AM   #27
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
100 didn't happen in 2011 and won't happen in 2012 either but let me see what I can do about the 15K pages and probably around 90 books. Since my current two are likely to finish after the new year they will count twoards the 2012 total not the 2011 total, that takes 167 away from the 15K to get to 14835, will check back at least once a week to see how far I have gotten.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:37 AM   #28
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraPony View Post
LOL - not in the least. I just really love 1) supporting and 2) engaging in content from my country. This year I have read 30 books (so far), 13 of which were written by Canadian authors. I follow the #CanLit hashtag on Twitter, Canada Reads, as well as all of the major Canadian awards (GG, Giller). It is what interests me!
I'll have to keep an eye on your reading list if you're posting it because I should read a few more Canadian authors. This year I read Douglas Coupland, Steven Galloway and Edward Riche.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:18 AM   #29
LauraPony
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I'll have to keep an eye on your reading list if you're posting it because I should read a few more Canadian authors. This year I read Douglas Coupland, Steven Galloway and Edward Riche.
Definitely! I'll try to stay on top of listing them. Also, if you're interested, check out my Goodreads profile (in my siggy). I have a CanLit shelf that I've been keeping track of my reads on.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:31 AM   #30
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I did not reach my goal of 100 books in 2011. I got a really late start (April). This year I plan to reach it. I am reading a lot of the classics (Dickens and Jane Austen at the present), so that might hold me back. I would really like to make a dent in my TBR list that I have on Goodreads.

I hope the new year refreshes all of us and we get off to a good start.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote