Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-23-2011, 08:19 AM   #1
lorraineg57
Enthusiast
lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Iphone 4
drm and library book

I posted about not being able to open a book that I'd checked out via the library. I've had the book checked out for 4-5 days now and was unable to open it (no record for this loan if found on this machine, blah..blah). I'm waiting for the library to get back to me on this.

Just for the heck of it last night I tried stripping the drm and voila! the book opened in ADE. Now what happens when I want to return it? Will it be returned stripped? I only need a few more days to finish it if that. I have no need to keep it past the due date or keep a copy (why I don't have an issue with stripping drm on a book on loan but have an issue keeping it past the due date I don't know, doesn't make much sense, I've already done the deed). I never reread books and none of my friends even have nooks/ereaders. I was so shocked that it opened, I really didn't think past that step. (I've never stripped drm before and actually hadn't much of an idea what I was doing hence the shock when it worked and the book opened.)
lorraineg57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I believe that if you return the book that you stripped it will be sort of putting yourself on report that you stripped the book of the DRM. My recommendation is to take the file that you got initally from the library and return that and do not tell them that you stripped the DRM from the book. Quietly file the stripped book away and don't tell anyone that you did that, however I would recommend that any and all books that you borrow from the library you automatically stripp the DRM from all books and return the non-stripped file when the time comes. The library has already demonstrated to your satisfaction that they are not capable of providing functioning books and you need to stripp the books to cope with their inability to do their jobs.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2011, 08:41 AM   #3
hgwlackey
Zealot
hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle Touch, HTC Thunderbolt
I doubt that the file itself--stripped or otherwise--actually gets returned to the library. Pretty sure that if you just let the loan period run out, the lending database updates itself with the info that you're no longer allowed access to the (DRM'd copy of the) book, and if you manually return it early, some bytes of data head over to the lending database to tell it the same.
hgwlackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:54 AM   #4
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorraineg57 View Post
Now what happens when I want to return it? Will it be returned stripped?
There is no return as such. Your lending period expires, and you're supposed to not be able to read the file any longer, but that's it. You don't have to do anything, it will become available automatically to the next on the list once your time is up.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #5
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
There is no return as such. Your lending period expires, and you're supposed to not be able to read the file any longer, but that's it.
Doesn't that just sound absurd? To me it is CRIMINAL. Here we are, able to spread knowledge so easily and yet we continue to lock it up. WHY?? To protect theoretical income from theoretical authors?

I've seen massive content usage and payments flowing continuously. All with no copyright protections.

Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Every book I have borrowed still shows up in my ADE Library. Some show " x days left" and most now show "expired". I guess it is up to me to clean up the expired ones. But no ebooks are actually returned in any fashion - they are merely tagged as "expired."

Oh, ENJOY the rest of the book.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Even after the get tagged as "Expired" or if you manually returned them using Adobe Digital Editions, it will leave that file in your Adobe Digital Editions folder on your computer, even if it isn't showing up in ADE software anymore - if you look on your computer the file is still in that folder. I go in and clear that folder out occasionally. Those are the original DRMd files.

If you used Calibre to handle the liberation - you'll need delete from there as well as from any devices you put the book on once you are finished reading.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:12 PM   #8
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
When this library expiration topic first came up my curiousity got the best of me. I went to the ade library and dragged one of the EXPIRED books into Calibre. With the appropriate plugin, it was still able to remove the drm from the expired book. So the book itself is not changed in anyway as it "expires." The reader finds some "key" in the book or the reader keeps its own "table" and then expires the book.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:36 PM   #9
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Well, I am about to finish my first library eBook, the excellent Pub Walks in Underhill Country, so I'll see how my library works. I use ADE, too.

I have checked out eAudiobooks from the library on my iPod many times. I just delete them when I'm done. It is probably the same with eBooks. It isn't a file that is returned to the library, it is just your right to read/listen that expires (as best I can tell, I'm not an expert). Anyway, 71 more pages for me and I'll deletethe eBook, like I have the eAudiobooks.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:23 PM   #10
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
OMG, I just checked, I have 302 library books I checked out just sitting there, some of them I didn't finish when I checked them out, what to do what to do????

unlike liberating books I paid for, I think it is probably unethical to liberate them. But...my test shows that it works.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:24 PM   #11
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
There is no return as such. Your lending period expires, and you're supposed to not be able to read the file any longer, but that's it. You don't have to do anything, it will become available automatically to the next on the list once your time is up.
Mobipocket books cannot be returned. ADE epubs and PDFs can be returned. In the library view, click on the little arrow on the book's icon then select return. If you don't return the book, it expires at the end of the loan period and you cannot open it in ADE any more. All this happens outside of the file. It's not sent back. ADE just tells the server the patron doesn't want the book any more.
Barty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:57 PM   #12
lorraineg57
Enthusiast
lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Iphone 4
Wow...thanks for all the responses. Just to be on the safe side I moved the stripped copies (I think it actually stripped all the books in the directory) from to another folder and redownloaded from the library into ADE.

If I understand correctly, as long as I don't reconnect my nook to ade the books should stay on the nook even after they expire?
lorraineg57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:17 AM   #13
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Mobipocket books cannot be returned.
it will depend on your library and their settings. That said, even in this case it's just an instant expiration of your reading rights. No actual files are "returned", is the poin't I'm trying to make.

Quote:
ADE just tells the server the patron doesn't want the book any more.
Exactly.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #14
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorraineg57 View Post
Wow...thanks for all the responses. Just to be on the safe side I moved the stripped copies (I think it actually stripped all the books in the directory) from to another folder and redownloaded from the library into ADE.

If I understand correctly, as long as I don't reconnect my nook to ade the books should stay on the nook even after they expire?
They will remain on there, but will be unusable. Your nook has a clock too, so simply not reconnecting it won't change anything.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:21 PM   #15
TamBee
TamBee began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3, won it now love it
if the DRM is removed, is the lending period still in effect or will the book be available past the 14 or 21 day limit?
TamBee is offline   Reply With Quote