Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your level of fitness?
I work out almost eveyrday and consider myself "in-shape." 15 18.07%
I work out a few times a week. 28 33.73%
I don't work out but feel pretty "in-shape" 10 12.05%
Working out? Surely you jest. 30 36.14%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2011, 08:16 AM   #61
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Pookeysgirl I will be happy to give you 20 pounds, if you wanted 20 kilos I think I could just handle that

Working at a desk all day takes a lot of work to keep in shape, maybe not work, but motivation.
You got that right. I try to walk around as much as I can. Walking from and to the trainstation instead of talking the bus. It's a relief when I can go running in the evening, I hate sitting still all day.

Quote:
I broke right my shoulder, right wrist, 8 ribs, collapsed lung and a minor fractured skull 10 years ago in a stupid motorcycle accident (woman hit me on the rear right side, and didn't even stop, would have been dead if I wasn't wearing a helmet and gear). I was in great shape for a 36 year old guy when I had the accident and recovered well, I was back in the pool swimming within 6 weeks and back wall climbing in 8 weeks, my regular routine in the winters.
I applaud you for wearing motorcycle gear! I don't see many motorcyclists with the right gear, sometimes even shorts and a t-shirt in the summer. Motorcycle accidents are a big problem in Belgium, it's one of the theme's that reoccur every year in our (road safety institute) campaigns.

Oh yeah, I can donate a couple of pounds to pookeysgirl as well
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:22 AM   #62
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridal View Post
Motorcycle accidents are a big problem in Belgium, it's one of the theme's that reoccur every year in our (road safety institute) campaigns.
A senior traumatologist in the town of my birth said one day:
As long as there are bikers, I will never be out of job.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:35 AM   #63
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia
Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
Quote:
I applaud you for wearing motorcycle gear! I don't see many motorcyclists with the right gear, sometimes even shorts and a t-shirt in the summer. Motorcycle accidents are a big problem in Belgium, it's one of the theme's that reoccur every year in our (road safety institute) campaigns.
I follow a simple rule, I only count on myself, so I wear everything that will help, even here where it gets very hot an humid in riding gear. We have a saying, "If you don't wear a helmet, please sign the organ donor card, you're nothing more than a future donor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
A senior traumatologist in the town of my birth said one day:
As long as there are bikers, I will never be out of job.
You know I agree with that statement despite still riding whenever I can, I see there is a huge difference between good and bad riders, the same difference between good and bad drivers of cars. The problem is that when you hit a light standard in a car you generally walk away if you were wearing your seatbelt, on a bike it's best not to hit roadside furniture (lights, signs, park benches etc.). When I was hit by a car I blame myself, I should have seen it coming, I think, I don't remember starting out for work that day or the hospital the first day. I'm not bitter, the woman that hit me was caught, here excuse for not stopping was, "I was scared". Gee thanks!

Last edited by Mortis; 02-09-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:42 AM   #64
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I follow a simple rule, I only count on myself, so I wear everything that will help, even here where it gets very hot an humid in riding gear.
Sounds like a good rule to me. Especially on a motorcycle, car drivers generally have very little attention for them.

Quote:
You know I agree with that statement despite still riding whenever I can, I see there is a huge difference between good and bad riders, the same difference between good and bad drivers of cars. The problem is that when you hit a light standard in a car you generally walk away if you were wearing your seatbelt, on a bike it's best not to hit roadside furniture (lights, signs, park benches etc.). When I was hit by a car I blame myself, I should have seen it coming, I think, I don't remember starting out for work that day or the hospital the first day. I'm not bitter, the woman that hit me was caught, here excuse for not stopping was, "I was scared". Gee thanks!
In Belgium motorcyclists get their license fairly quickly, at least compared to obtaining a driver's license for a car. They have to take a couple of lessons, but not enough to learn how to drive properly. And then there's also the spring phenomenon. Lots of motorcyclist don't drive in the winter, and when they start driving again in spring they are a bit rusty. Making accidents more likely. Also because the car drivers have to adapt to lots of motorcyclists on the road again as well.

I once saw a motorcylist fall on a highway with lots of traffic. Immediately 5 other motorcyclist were standing around the guy, protecting him when he was down. Very impressive.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:59 AM   #65
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia
Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I always thought that Belgium had a graduated licensing system, in Canada, where I learned to ride, any kid can go out and get his license on the smallest moped he can find and then go straight to the bike shop and buy the biggest fastest bike, this usually ends in a very expensive, if not fatal, lesson.

Here in malaysia more than 3500 riders are killed a year, and they sell 500,000 bikes a year! A lot of people here refuse to wear helmets and this is the biggest reason for the deaths. Drivers here don't pay attention to motorcycles and motorcyclists tend to ride like they stole the bikes, so all in all the deaths are low.

Sorry, this is a topic I tend to get on the soapbox.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:26 AM   #66
Iridal
Mysteriarch

Quote:
I always thought that Belgium had a graduated licensing system,
I had to look this up. Age limit for moped is 16. Theoretical exam only.

Age limit for motorcycle is 18 (and 21 for motorcycles +25 kW). There are 2 options after theoretical exam:
  1. 8 hours with a driving school
  2. Lessons with a 'private' teacher

No minimum number of months of driving experience specified (so you can have 8 hours with the driving school and go straight to the pratical exam). People who obtained their driver's license before 1985 can drive a motorcycle without any examinations or lessons!

So all in all not what you call a high-quality education.

Quote:
Sorry, this is a topic I tend to get on the soapbox.
And rightly so, there's no need to apologise (not to me at least)! There's a reason I work at a road safety institute you know
Old 02-09-2011, 10:14 AM   #67
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia

Quote:
And rightly so, there's no need to apologise (not to me at least)! There's a reason I work at a road safety institute you know
Nope didn't know that
Old 02-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #68
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I bought myself a Kettle Bell. I read it somewhere on the forum and that name just stuck. It should be good for a workout, I think.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:15 AM   #69
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
I bought myself a Kettle Bell. I read it somewhere on the forum and that name just stuck. It should be good for a workout, I think.

Nice!
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:20 AM   #70
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia

Referring to the previous post by obs20, I love the bit: "Train like an athlete" I would class anyone thats working out like that to be an athlete already, I could be wrong though
Old 02-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #71
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
Just be wary of overswinging. Without a kettle bell, some of the motions would result in a muscle pull, with one, you can get full muscle tears.

But once you get used to it, it can be a nice combination of cardio and lifting.

Good luck!
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:08 PM   #72
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
I looked at the body mass index data a while back. It's truly shocking how fat Americans have gotten over the last 25 years, especially at middle age. It's getting to the point where normal weight people are having a hard time buying clothes that fit since the average American is so disgustingly overweight. I live in NYC so it's not that bad....but once you drive out to the suburbs or countryside it's a whole different story.

It has more to do with eating habits than exercising. At some point, people forgot about the importance of a balanced diet.

My female friends typically gain weight because of cookies and ice cream. They then complain to me for getting fat. They stare long and hard at the ice cream frig in the grocery store....before walking away...but then later going back to grab a small pint of sugar and fat.

It's pretty sad. And it's getting worse.

To America's women: STOP EATING ICE CREAM! I beg you.

Last edited by markbot; 02-14-2011 at 08:10 PM.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #73
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
I used to spend 6 hours a week at squash (like racquet ball for those in the US ), it was intense, it burned up a lot of energy and I loved it... but then the courts were closed down and there was nothing else in the town that I had the same passion for (been doing it since I was 13). Within 6 months I had popped up a size and my mind started crashing on me due to anxiety disorder. 18 months later I've got chronic health issues related to persistent stress/anxiety and the spiral gets steeper.

Never in my life have I been this bad (I'm in my late 30's) and to be honest I'm downright scared of what my 40's will be like. I'm not "fat" yet but I am sporting a bit of a spare tyre around the waist and I know that there's (excess) fat building up around my organs. It feels -wretched- to not be active like I used to be - I want to get back but the drive has been sapped out of me.

Paul.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #74
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

So my answer was I work out almost eveyrday (sic) and consider myself "in-shape." The thing is that unfortunately age plays such a part in things. I am in good shape for my age, but have less stamina and peak levels than when I was in my 20s and did not work out at all. Curse father time.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:15 PM   #75
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
(I should point out, I don't eat junk-food, salads, home cooked food, no "deep frying", well balanced meals etc - the problem in this case is sheer lack of activity and pleasure in life).
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote