Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-01-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Question PRS-650 to iPad move

Hey all,
I'm being gifted a iPad in the near future (birthday) and i'm going to give it a go as a reader.
Currently i manage my Sony PRS-650 via Calibre and i'm wondering if there are any special steps i need to take before i upload my books to the iPad; i.e. is there a conversion i should do dedicated to iPad etc etc.

Any help, comments, flames, hugs appreciated.
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
I use a free Dropbox account to sync my book files to the Ipad. I upload ebook files to the Dropbox folder and when I open them in the Dropbox app on the Ipad it asks if I want to use my reader apps to view it.

This works for any undrmd epub files.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If books are in ePub format and DRM free then they should work without issues in iBooks, Stanza, Bluefire or Quickreader on the iPad (there is a wide choice of eReader apps that can handle ePub). You also have vender specific apps for Kindle (Amazon), Kobo, B&N. The Sony app has, I hear, been rejected.

Calibre has specific integration feature for working with iBooks.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Do i need to reconvert the epubs with the iPad output for best results?
Old 02-02-2011, 12:45 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_steve View Post
Do i need to reconvert the epubs with the iPad output for best results?
Unless they are something like comics which are image heavy (and you want to take the screen resolution into account) then there should be no need to reconvert. I have used the same ePub book on both the Sony and iPad without issues.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2011, 04:51 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Make sure you read this thread first. Take note that to use the Connect to iTunes (recommended) feature you need to got to Preferences - Plugins - Device interface plugins and disbale the Apple plugin.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:44 PM   #7
digital_steve
Muppet

Thanks
Rep added