Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-06-2018, 07:23 AM   #76
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ka1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk-71 View Post
Thanks, how do I get the values for H2O2 "Snow"?
It depends on you. Is Dragon (46-29), change to bigger (50-32) or smaller (36-23) one as you like/need.
Good luck.

Last edited by jcn363; 10-06-2018 at 07:29 AM.
jcn363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 12:22 PM   #77
Dirk-71
Connoisseur
Dirk-71 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Dirk-71 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Dirk-71 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Dirk-71 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Dirk-71 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Dirk-71 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Dirk-71 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Dirk-71 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Dirk-71 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Dirk-71 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Dirk-71 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kobo: Aura H2O 2nd Edition (V1), Aura One, Glo HD
Example of "Footnotes and alike"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcn363 View Post
Put into nickel.yaml file
Spoiler:
Code:
Footnotes and alike:
  - Enabled: no
  - Description: |
      Change footnotes and alike font-size
#        - Touch # Trilogy
#        - Touch2 # Pika
#        - Mini # Pixie
#        - AuraHD # Dragon
#        - Aura # Phoenix
#        - Aura2 # Star
#        - Glo # Kraken - uses the values of Phoenix
#        - H2O # Dahlia - uses the values of Dragon
#        - H2O2 # Snow
#        - GloHD # Alyssum
#        - ClaraHD # Nova
#        - AuraOne # Daylight
  - FindZlib:  "QWidget[small"
# Pop-up header (footnotes and alike)
  - ReplaceZlib:
      Find:    "HeaderMediumElidedLabel[qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true],\n\
                HeaderMediumTouchLabel[qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true],\n\
                HeaderMediumLabel[qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true] {\n  font-size: 30px;\n}\n\
                HeaderMediumElidedLabel[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true],\n\
                HeaderMediumTouchLabel[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true],\n\
                HeaderMediumLabel[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true] {\n  font-size: 36px;\n}\n\
                HeaderMediumElidedLabel[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true],\n\
                HeaderMediumTouchLabel[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true],\n\
                HeaderMediumLabel[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true] {\n  font-size: 46px;\n}\n\
                HeaderMediumElidedLabel[qApp_deviceIsAlyssum=true],\n\
                HeaderMediumTouchLabel[qApp_deviceIsAlyssum=true],\n\
                HeaderMediumLabel[qApp_deviceIsAlyssum=true] {\n  font-size: 50px;\n}\n\
                HeaderMediumElidedLabel[qApp_deviceIsNova=true],\n\
                HeaderMediumTouchLabel[qApp_deviceIsNova=true],\n\
                HeaderMediumLabel[qApp_deviceIsNova=true] {\n  font-size: 50px;\n}\n\
                HeaderMediumElidedLabel[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true],\n\
                HeaderMediumTouchLabel[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true],\n\
                HeaderMediumLabel[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {\n  font-size: 60px;\n}"
      Replace: "HeaderMediumElidedLabel,HeaderMediumTouchLabel,HeaderMediumLabel{font-size:60px;}"
# Pop-up text (footnotes and alike)
  - ReplaceZlib:
      Find:    "RegularTouchLabel[qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true] {\n  font-size: 19px;\n}\n\
                RegularTouchLabel[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true] {\n  font-size: 23px;\n}\n\
                RegularTouchLabel[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true] {\n  font-size: 29px;\n}\n\
                RegularTouchLabel[qApp_deviceIsAlyssum=true] {\n  font-size: 32px;\n}\n\
                RegularTouchLabel[qApp_deviceIsNova=true] {\n  font-size: 32px;\n}\n\
                RegularTouchLabel[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {\n  font-size: 37px;\n}"
      Replace: "RegularTouchLabel{font-size:37px;}"

Good luck.
Here is an example how it looks like on Aura H2O Edition 2. I just activated the patch without any changes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Footnotes-and-alike.png
Views:	164
Size:	323.0 KB
ID:	166782  

Last edited by Dirk-71; 10-07-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Dirk-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:31 AM   #78
Vetchy
Vetchy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Can anybody help me. I was patched my KA1, with next patches to 4.9.11311 version of firmware

Quote:
nickel.patch:
Dictionary pop-up frame size increase: yes
Reading stats/Author name cut when the series is showing bug fix: yes

libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch:
Freedom to advanced fonts control: yes
Set KePub hyphenation: yes
Allow searches on Extra dictionaries: yes
Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height - beta: yes
Clock display duration: yes
Cyrillic Keyboard (GloHD/ClaraHD/AuraOne/H2O2): yes
Today, my Kobo was updated to 4.10.11655.
How to patch it correctly? I create a new kobopatch.yaml and push this patches to override section. But not sure, that created patch can be flash by puttin in .kobo folder.
Vetchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:07 AM   #79
stuartjmz
Contrarian
stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O2 v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
I just tried to patch my KA2v1 (upgraded with currently unsupported 4.10.11655) using this patch method.

It worked great , but I think some text clarifications are needed for the not so bold casual user (See the red additions)

Just my 2cts.
Keep up the good work

I am DEFINITELY one of those not so bold casual users, but my desire to be able to use the Advanced controls on my sideloaded fonts is prompting me to check this out. A question, from an excess of caution perhaps: If my Clara is showing "4.10.11655" as its currently installed firmware version, am I safe to assume that I can start from step 3 in the list?
stuartjmz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:21 AM   #80
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
my Clara is showing "4.10.11655" as its currently installed firmware version, am I safe to assume that I can start from step 3 in the list?
No doubt.
Good luck.

EDIT: I recommend you to follow the process from the beginning and change kobopatch.yaml accordingly.
Don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited by jcn363; 10-11-2018 at 12:59 PM. Reason: misunderstood
Old 10-11-2018, 11:37 AM   #81
jcn363
absolute beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetchy View Post
Can anybody help me. I was patched my KA1, with next patches to 4.9.11311 version of firmware

How to patch it correctly? I create a new kobopatch.yaml and push this patches to override section. But not sure, that created patch can be flash by puttin in .kobo folder.
I don't know if you copy all the 4.9.11311 files into 4.10.11655 folder. If so, kobopatch.yaml must have
Code:
version: 4.10.11655
and you must put kobo-update-4.10.11655.zip into src folder (and erase kobo-update-4.9.11311.zip).
I recommend you to follow the process from the beginning and change kobopatch.yaml accordingly.

Good luck.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:48 AM   #82
jackie_w
Wizard
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony:PRS-350, Kobo:Aura6"/H2O/GloHD/KA1/ClaraHD/Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetchy View Post

I see that you had patch Dictionary pop-up frame size increase enabled for your old firmware 4.9.11311. For firmware 4.10.11655 please note that Kobo made some changes to the dictionary pop-up so there was an enforced change to the patch code. See here for more details.

You will need to make sure you are using the nickel.yaml file contained in the download from post #1 step 1 for 4.10.11655 and that you reflect this patch name change in your kobopatch.yaml file.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:38 PM   #83
jackie_w
Wizard
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am DEFINITELY one of those not so bold casual users, but my desire to be able to use the Advanced controls on my sideloaded fonts is prompting me to check this out. A question, from an excess of caution perhaps: If my Clara is showing "4.10.11655" as its currently installed firmware version, am I safe to assume that I can start from step 3 in the list?
Quote:
No doubt.
Good luck.
@stuartjmz,

I'm not really sure what jcn363 is trying to say there. If your Kobo is already running fw 4.10.11655 you definitely need to do all steps from post #1 except step 3.

Step 1 downloads all the patch code for fw 4.10.11655. Some patches change with every firmware, some hardly ever change and some are somewhere in the middle. The patch you said you are interested in 'Freedom to advanced fonts control' is one of the ones which changes with every firmware.

Step 2 provides a copy of the whole of fw 4.10.11655 on your local PC/Mac so that kobopatch.bat/kobopatch.sh can:
- extract unpatched copies of 1, 2, 3 or 4 files (depending on which patches you have enabled)
- apply patches from step 1 to the local copies of the 1-4 files
- package up the patched files into a single file (KoboRoot.tgz) ready for step 6.

As this is your first foray into patching don't hesitate to ask questions if you're not sure about something. Good luck

Last edited by jackie_w; 10-11-2018 at 12:51 PM. Reason: more detail
Old 10-11-2018, 12:55 PM   #84
jcn363
absolute beginner

As I said before
Quote:
I recommend you to follow the process from the beginning and change kobopatch.yaml accordingly.
Don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:32 PM   #85
stuartjmz
Contrarian
stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@stuartjmz,

I'm not really sure what jcn363 is trying to say there. If your Kobo is already running fw 4.10.11655 you definitely need to do all steps from post #1 except step 3.

Step 1 downloads all the patch code for fw 4.10.11655. ...

Step 2 provides a copy of the whole of fw 4.10.11655 on your local PC/Mac so that kobopatch.bat/kobopatch.sh can:

Thank you so much for the very clear explanation of what the process involves. I have downloaded the two zips, now I will re-read the instructions many times before proceeding further
Old 10-11-2018, 05:04 PM   #86
stuartjmz
Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIPG-reader View Post
Well, finally I´ve become brave and have installed the last fw 4.10.11655 patching it with kobopatch

Everything is running fine, so to geek1101, GeoffR, Jackiew and all people contributing to the patches.

No Overdrive option
Thank you so much for mentioning this JIPG. I was all set to give patching a try when I carefully re-read the entire thread and saw your post properly. Overdrive support is more important to me than font weight controls, it was a delightful bonus when setting up my new Clara yesterday. I was delighted when I saw that I can finally access my library's ebook collection on an e-ink device (no Kindle support from my local libraries) so I guess I won't be installing this patch if it removes Overdrive functionality.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:23 PM   #87
jackie_w
Wizard

Quote:
Thank you so much for mentioning this JIPG. I was all set to give patching a try when I carefully re-read the entire thread and saw your post properly. Overdrive support is more important to me than font weight controls, it was a delightful bonus when setting up my new Clara yesterday. I was delighted when I saw that I can finally access my library's ebook collection on an e-ink device (no Kindle support from my local libraries) so I guess I won't be installing this patch if it removes Overdrive functionality.
I don't think patching does remove Overdrive support I thought JIPG-reader was just saying that there was no Overdrive support for Spanish users. Kobo's Overdrive support is only present in certain countries.

Your country location is missing from your MobileRead header info so it's hard to give you more specific help and I don't use Overdrive myself so hopefully someone who does use it on a patched ClaraHD will chip in with definitive info.

For what it's worth, I'm in the UK, I have a patched (to death) ClaraHD on firmware 4.10.11655 and I do have a Settings - Overdrive menu option.

ETA: according to the Kobo website:
Quote:
*Dependent on library participation, available throughout most public libraries in Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand. eBook availability will vary based on library.

Last edited by jackie_w; 10-11-2018 at 05:30 PM. Reason: ETA: Overdrive countries
Old 10-11-2018, 05:35 PM   #88
stuartjmz
Contrarian

Thanks Jackie! I must have misread JPIG's post - I thought they meant "no Overdrive support but it doesn't matter because it's not in Spain anyway". It is great to know that I can keep my Overdrive after patching to give me font weight controls I have updated my profile to include location information, using my country's name as it appears first on my passport, not named after a province of a country ~12,000 km away.

Last edited by stuartjmz; 10-11-2018 at 05:40 PM. Reason: fix typo
Old 10-11-2018, 05:38 PM   #89
JIPG-reader
Connoisseur
JIPG-reader has a certain pleonastic somethingJIPG-reader has a certain pleonastic somethingJIPG-reader has a certain pleonastic somethingJIPG-reader has a certain pleonastic somethingJIPG-reader has a certain pleonastic somethingJIPG-reader has a certain pleonastic somethingJIPG-reader has a certain pleonastic somethingJIPG-reader has a certain pleonastic somethingJIPG-reader has a certain pleonastic somethingJIPG-reader has a certain pleonastic somethingJIPG-reader has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Ed2, Onyx Boox C67ML
Quote:
Patching does not remove Overdrive. Simply I stated that no Overdrive option was available in my reader, because I live in Spain, and here there are no libraries attached to the Overdrive "ecosystem".

Last edited by JIPG-reader; 10-12-2018 at 05:39 AM.
JIPG-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:04 PM   #90
stuartjmz
Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIPG-reader View Post
Patching does not remove Overdrive. Simply I stated that no Overdrive option was available in my reader, because I live in Spain, and here there is no libraries attached to the Overdrive "eco-system".
Yes, thank you. Jackie parsed your post correctly. One more reminder for me not to attempt to fake sentience before the first coffee of the day.

Tags
kobopatch, patch32lsb, patches, patching