Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-30-2018, 10:52 AM   #226
CharredScribe
Addict
CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Aura ONE
I'm doing ok. Goal is 50 books and I'm at 36 (and also pretty sure I have forgotten to include a couple in my tracking list). Better than last year where I barely tracked anything. I've travelled a lot for work this year which means more reading (airports, planes etc.), but also means that I re-read books or stick to what I consider light reading (mysteries and thrillers). Books that require intense concentration are not a safe bet as while I get lots of reading done when travelling, it is usually in small snippets or with big gaps so following the threads of more complex, 'literary' books can be a challenge. I think I will reach my goal this year.
CharredScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:16 AM   #227
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Yotaphone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
August was a good month. 16 books read and only 6 bought!

My TBR is still up on the year, but if I can do half as well in September, I'll be pleased.
September: 12 books read, but 26 bought. The Rebus novels were too good to miss.

At least I am enjoying my reading!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:37 AM   #228
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
It was a much better month for me: 8 read and 8 added, so a break-even overall, but only 2 of the additions were purchases, and I've already read one and started the other.

I've pretty much equalled the 2 purchases already, in October. I bought a book this morning, and I've got a crowd-funded book coming in soon. (I didn't really know how to account for the latter, since I paid for it over a year ago, but I decided I would count it when it was actually a book.)

It's just August that's ruining my year, thanks the cheap omnibuses. I think I'll just pretend it never happened. Like Highlander 2.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:13 AM   #229
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab A, iPad (1st gen)
My reading has come to a relative halt. I was reading a dozen books or so every month, and now I only finished one book early in September (and don't see myself completing *any* books in October). I'm still reading, but the books are longer and my time spent reading is shorter.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:46 AM   #230
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Glo HD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
but the books are longer
A major reason why book tallies are a crude measure at best.

I'm on track to set a new record for books read this year, but I know it reflects that my reading has been lighter this year and I don't consider that a good thing.

Or, in other words, it's fine to keep track, but don't kid yourself and don't make the number itself an obsession. This is directed at me! Obviously everyone will do what works best for her/him.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:37 PM   #231
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3, PPW 2 3, HDX, KBasic 4, 5, 7 & 8, Nook ST, Glo, HD+, Echos
Quote:
My reading has come to a relative halt. I was reading a dozen books or so every month, and now I only finished one book early in September (and don't see myself completing *any* books in October). I'm still reading, but the books are longer and my time spent reading is shorter.
Life happens. Don't beat yourself up about it. That is very frustrating to go from 10 or more a month to zero, but I've done that a couple of years. In my case, it's usually because I'm sick or on a medication that makes reading retention harder. Sometimes, I just watch Netflix.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:22 AM   #232
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Goals:

Total Books: 50 (stretch goal of 100) | Total Pages: 25,000 | TBR Reduction: 25 (stretch goal of 50)
Read at least 51% non-American authors | Read more female/gender-fluid authors than male | Read at least 52 short stories | Read at least 10 of the New Leaf Book Club selections | Complete a re-read of the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation of War and Peace

Aggregate Totals (Updated through September):
  • 100 books - 200% of my goal (100% of stretch goal) - GOAL MET
  • 53 short stories - 102% of my goal - GOAL MET
  • 25,855 pages - 103% of my goal - GOAL MET
  • 53% female/nonbinary authors / 47% male authors - on target
  • 52% US authors (up from 47%) / 48% non-US authors (down from 52%) - off target - I read too many things with my wife that I hadn't planned on and it skewed this number.
  • 293 of 365 chapters of War and Peace complete - on target
  • TBR Reduction: Reduced by 46 - 192% of my goal (96% of stretch goal) - on target
  • New Leaf Book Club selections - 9 for 9 - on target

I am glad to see all those GOAL MET tags as I am starting a new job next week and I know my reading numbers will be impacted.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:29 AM   #233
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Yotaphone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
At least I am enjoying my reading!
Although my change in commuting has certainly cut down on the number of books I'm reading. I'm on track for just under 140 this year, while a couple of years ago I was running at 200+ per year.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:46 AM   #234
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab A, iPad (1st gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
A major reason why book tallies are a crude measure at best.

I'm on track to set a new record for books read this year, but I know it reflects that my reading has been lighter this year and I don't consider that a good thing.

Or, in other words, it's fine to keep track, but don't kid yourself and don't make the number itself an obsession. This is directed at me! Obviously everyone will do what works best for her/him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Life happens. Don't beat yourself up about it. That is very frustrating to go from 10 or more a month to zero, but I've done that a couple of years. In my case, it's usually because I'm sick or on a medication that makes reading retention harder. Sometimes, I just watch Netflix.
I appreciate the encouragement, but I'm only tallying for the sake of tallying. Goodreads requires a goal, and while it is interesting to track my reading pace, I find that my lists themselves are more interesting than the quantity that is in them. Some months I'm reading a lot of romance or cozy mysteries, other months I'm spending more time on a longer or more complicated story and I only read a book or two.

Typically, I read one long book (over several months) alongside several shorter books (over a few days), depending on my free time and mood. Lately I've been reading just one book all of the time and it's a long one!

I'm just surprised that I've been in that sort of mood, to just stick with one book all of the time. It's really not like me to do that!
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:59 AM   #235
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Glo HD, Aura One
Quote:
I appreciate the encouragement, but I'm only tallying for the sake of tallying. Goodreads requires a goal, and while it is interesting to track my reading pace, I find that my lists themselves are more interesting than the quantity that is in them.
I agree with this. My own "goal" is really just a benchmark, i.e., if I fall below it, I'd have to consider what was going on as it's a number that shouldn't be hard for me to reach. But by the same token, too high a number (as in truth I'm experiencing now) also is an indication of an underlying change. This is helpful info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
as I am starting a new job next week
Yay for you! Congratulations!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:37 AM   #236
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage,Kindle PW, Fire HD 8.9, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
... I am starting a new job next week and I know my reading numbers will be impacted.
I hope the new job is as exciting and challenging as you hope it will be, and I fully 'get' the reading numbers impact -- having just started a new job a couple of weeks ago and finding it increasingly difficult to read and/or keep up with MR.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:32 AM   #237
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
27 books finished after April. Thus making a total of 69 for this year. Not a bad progress against my target of 80. I'll comfortably reach the mark and even go on to extend my target to 90, if I find enough reading time in the winters (which I am highly suspicious about).

I bought only two ebooks in last quarter, bravo!

TBR stands at 828 ebooks and 15 pbooks. 30 in wishlist.
I finished 12 more books during August and September making a total of 81 for the year. My target for this year (80) has been achieved and I can anticipate further reading of about 20 books during the last quarter.

TBR status - 819 ebooks and 13 pbooks. 27 in wishlist.
drjd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:50 AM   #238
stuartjmz
Connoisseur
stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
My 2018 Reading Challenge is to read just one book, The Jungle Book. Or rather जंगल बुक. I've been looking for a Hindi translation of this classic for years, delighted to have one on my new Clara now. Kipling's India was my Dad's India, and for all his colonialist/imperialist leanings, he lvoed the land of his birth, which is why I've always felt this book belonged in Hindi. As a plus, I'm delighted that the translator has kept it at a kid-friendly vocabulary and grammar level, since that means it's also non-L1 learner-friendly If I can finish it, the first Hindi fiction I've ever attempted, I'll be content wityh callling my 2018 Reading Challenge a success
stuartjmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:16 PM   #239
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S7 Edge, Galaxy Tab 4 7.0, Galaxy Tab A (2017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
My 2018 Reading Challenge is to read just one book, The Jungle Book. Or rather जंगल बुक. I've been looking for a Hindi translation of this classic for years, delighted to have one on my new Clara now. Kipling's India was my Dad's India, and for all his colonialist/imperialist leanings, he lvoed the land of his birth, which is why I've always felt this book belonged in Hindi. As a plus, I'm delighted that the translator has kept it at a kid-friendly vocabulary and grammar level, since that means it's also non-L1 learner-friendly If I can finish it, the first Hindi fiction I've ever attempted, I'll be content wityh callling my 2018 Reading Challenge a success
Welcome, Stuart. Yours is a great personal challenge.

I hope you enjoy The Jungle Book. I have several copies of both volumes and it is a wonderful set of stories.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:43 PM   #240
stuartjmz
Connoisseur
stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
Welcome, Stuart. Yours is a great personal challenge.

I hope you enjoy The Jungle Book. I have several copies of both volumes and it is a wonderful set of stories.
Indeed it is, as are Kim and the Just So stories, and your comment has reminded me I need them all on my new Kobo, in English I did laugh when I first started learning Hindi years ago and realised that the names of the characters are simply the Hindi/Urdu words for the animal in question - VERY inventive on his part
stuartjmz is offline   Reply With Quote