Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-31-2019, 12:34 PM   #76
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
It's the end of March. The only goal I'm doing well on is that I've read 46 of my goal of 100 books, so nearly half at the end of the first quarter. I'll be moving on to some longer books in April.

As to TBR reduction, not going so well yet. I've added 70 books/audiobooks since the beginning of the year (some being Storybundles) and have read 28 owned books. The majority of recent purchases are audiobooks of series I'm already reading such as Diskworld. But, I'm being terribly tempted by the current Audible sale.

Now that I'm done with the 3 month Whispersync deal, I can focus more on books that I already own, so that should help knock down this year's acquisitions on the TBR provided I can stop being tempted by sales.

Last edited by Tarana; 03-31-2019 at 06:55 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 04:33 PM   #77
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It wouldn't have been so bad, but my reading was down this month too - only seven books read, compared to 14 in January. My time for reading in February was restricted, and looks to be even more restricted in March. I'll just have to try to be even more discerning about any purchases.
March was actually a bit better than February - nine books finished. I should have even more reading time in April, I hope.

But purchases keep coming even quicker, and they're all good buys. My TBR is now 22 higher than at the start of the year, or seven higher than at the end of February.

I have, at least, finished all my new purchases from January.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2019, 05:22 PM   #78
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I finished 15 books in March which is phenomenal, my third most ever, until I note that they were mostly short stories or novellas (only 3 novel length books - all Discworld) which add up to only 1,750 pages, well below the pace I need to have in order to hit my yearly goal.

Oh well, at least I am reading something again and enjoying it.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:25 PM   #79
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I've read nine books in March, which means I'm now, according to Goodreads, 5 books ahead of schedule. Page count is slightly lower than average, but I'm still about 1000 pages ahead in total this year.

This surprises me, since I've read a couple of long books this month. For April I have high hopes, extra free days and at the end of the month I'm house sitting.

On my series challenge I was less successful, I did manage to read the final book in The Void trilogy, but I only finished two other books of my active series list, and they were short. I did start a new series and read the latest release of a series I'm up to date with. So in April I'll be focusing more on my series, I'll aim to finish at least four series books.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:18 AM   #80
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
March was a tricky month for me. I picked up quite a lot of freebies and loans, so the only way I could stay ahead of my TBR was to delete some old junk. It was kind of nice that I was able to go through and prune some of my old freebies, but it still feels a bit like cheating.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2019, 08:47 AM   #81
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I've read 6 books for March including one for my sci fi challenge. I'll pick a 1st in series book for my sci fi challenge, it worked well for my fantasy challenge last year.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:38 AM   #82
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
I've gotten to the point where I am no longer looking at the bargains emails... my TBR is too large as it is.

I think I am right on track for my reading target, and me new read to re-read ratio is pretty good.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:46 AM   #83
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
I've gotten to the point where I am no longer looking at the bargains emails... my TBR is too large as it is.

I think I am right on track for my reading target, and me new read to re-read ratio is pretty good.
I gotta get to that point too. I have a ridiculous amount of books.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:02 AM   #84
rainerm
Addict
rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't have a particular number in mind as a target, but I do aim to alternate between fiction and non-fiction whenever I read. Mostly I read two books a month; sometimes I start a third, but I don't finish it in the same month.

This March I read:

Fiction: Hanif Kureishi's short story collection titled "Love In a Blue Time." Kureishi has always been keen on the underside of London and Britain. His Britain is not a peaceful multicultural haven. It is a place wrestling with problems that we don't really associate with Britain: unemployment, vandalism, anti-immigration impulses, and more. At the same time, he also never fails to deal with the underside of the human condition. Love and living, in Kureishi's works, are not all-redemptive; they are ugly, painful, and tinged with a lot of despair. It's not a sad read, just a very truthful one.

Non-Fiction: Been reading "Introduction to Physical Anthropology" since last month. I don't buy biological determinism, and there's a lot of that in physical anthro., but the book gives me enough to speculate.
rainerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 03:53 PM   #85
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
I quit those mostly because I already spend enough from Audible sales, Storybundles, Baen Bundles and recommendations from here and Reddit that I don't need to be wasting time and money looking for bargains for mediocre authors. I think I have 5-6 years of reading already between audiobooks, ebooks and magazines. I'm trying VERY HARD to limit my purchases until November solely on series that I'm reading/listening.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:35 PM   #86
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've read 24 books so far this year, it looks like I'll meet my challenge of 52 books if I keep up this pace. I still need a sci fi series first book for May. Once again I stayed on Earth for the most part in April. Gotta get into an interstellar sci fi or deep space this time.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:21 PM   #87
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm dragging... only 26 so far.

DO you need recommendations, @Wearever?
Old 04-26-2019, 10:39 AM   #88
Wearever
Wizard

Quote:
I'm dragging... only 26 so far.

DO you need recommendations, @Wearever?
I could always use recommendations Dngrsone

Still searching for a sci-fi book for May. I'm still not sure how I've only gotten to the moon so far in my challenge. The rest all took place on earth, I liked them all.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:00 PM   #89
Dngrsone
Almost legible

The Martian is a little farther away, but still close to home.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:31 AM   #90
Wearever
Wizard

Quote:
The Martian is a little farther away, but still close to home.
Thank you Dngrsone for the Martian suggestion. I have read it a couple years ago and loved it ! I was on the moon with Artemis this year. I'm thinking maybe Pluto ? There is potential for life on one of it's moons. A frozen moon of course. I don't mind the cold. Lol. I'll see if I can find a sci-fi book on Pluto. At least it's the last of the planets ( I still think it's a planet) in the solar system.