Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-15-2020, 08:06 PM   #31
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Or you can copy the files to an SD card on the PC.
Once you mount the card most reader apps will see the files.
It's faster than USB for large transfers.
Older Fires DONT have SDCards!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:10 PM   #32
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I have no problems reading on the Kindle HD8 screen. Yes, my iPad mini has a much nicer screen...but for reading books...both are fine for me.

And there are numerable ways of getting books onto a Kindle Fire. You don't have to use the Kindle book app. My favorite app is FBREader as it sync's well on iOS and Android. I load books up to my FBReader Network (stores the books in your google drive). Nice web interface.

Then from within the fbreader app, it sync's to the web. Easy peasy.

I buy my books from Amazon. Liberate them with Calibre. Load them into the FBReader network on the web, then have access to them in my fbreader app on iPhone, iPad, and Android.

You do have to take a few steps to install the Google App Store on the Kindle fire tab...a quick google search will show you how.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2020, 08:24 PM   #33
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I’ll pass, I’m waiting for a USB D port.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:48 PM   #34
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I’ll pass, I’m waiting for a USB D port.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:57 PM   #35
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Actually it looks like there are two new HD 8s (my apologies if someone already mentioned this). The HD 8 and HD 8 Plus. It looks like the only differences are that the HD 8 Plus has 3 GBs of RAM (rather than 2) and it can use wireless charging.

The 189 ppi screen wouldn't be a deal killer for me (if I was in the market) but what is "HD" supposed to mean when attached to this device? Definitely not an HD screen. (I guess I'm confusing "HD" with "HDX" but the non-HD Amazon 7 is 171 ppi compared to 189 "HD" 8?)

And have Amazon Fire warranties always been only 90 days? That seems odd for a new device.

Last edited by rcentros; 05-15-2020 at 09:02 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2020, 10:30 PM   #36
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
And have Amazon Fire warranties always been only 90 days? That seems odd for a new device.
The Fire 7, Fire HD 8, and Echo Dot all have 90-day warranties. Amazon has been doing this for years in order to sell these devices at lower prices. You have the option to purchase extended warranties, but then, that drives your costs up.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 05-16-2020 at 02:42 AM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 12:37 AM   #37
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Actually it looks like there are two new HD 8s (my apologies if someone already mentioned this). The HD 8 and HD 8 Plus. It looks like the only differences are that the HD 8 Plus has 3 GBs of RAM (rather than 2) and it can use wireless charging.

The 189 ppi screen wouldn't be a deal killer for me (if I was in the market) but what is "HD" supposed to mean when attached to this device? Definitely not an HD screen. (I guess I'm confusing "HD" with "HDX" but the non-HD Amazon 7 is 171 ppi compared to 189 "HD" 8?)

in marketing speak
HD= 720p, Full Hd (FHD) = 1080p
so a 720 x 1280 screen is "HD"
the fire 7 is <720 so not HD

90 days warranty is what they use for refurbs, warehouse deals...
the new HD8 has 1 year warrantty in Uk ( where a 90 restriction is probably illegal)

Fire HD 8 tablet is sold with a limited warranty of one year provided by the manufacturer. If you are a consumer, the limited warranty is in addition to your consumer rights and does not jeopardise these rights in any way. This means you may still have additional rights at law even after the limited warranty has expired (click here for further information on your consumer rights)....

Last edited by stumped; 05-16-2020 at 12:39 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:14 AM   #38
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
1 year only is also illegal in the UK. It's two in all of the EU and many other countries. Apple was prosecuted in Italy for their 1 year and and offering to sell a second.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:18 AM   #39
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
in marketing speak
HD= 720p, Full Hd (FHD) = 1080p
so a 720 x 1280 screen is "HD"
the fire 7 is <720 so not HD

90 days warranty is what they use for refurbs, warehouse deals...
the new HD8 has 1 year warrantty in Uk ( where a 90 restriction is probably illegal)

Fire HD 8 tablet is sold with a limited warranty of one year provided by the manufacturer. If you are a consumer, the limited warranty is in addition to your consumer rights and does not jeopardise these rights in any way. This means you may still have additional rights at law even after the limited warranty has expired (click here for further information on your consumer rights)....
& here I thought the only differance was the Dock!

Any information on the Speakers? sound wise....
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:46 AM   #40
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
& here I thought the only difference was the Dock!

Any information on the Speakers? sound wise....
you could dock the previous gen tablet, if you bought the add on kit.

no audio mention in the blurb probably means no change -
when they reckoned that they had improved the audio in the echo devices they made a big thing of that, marketing wise. In fact a basic mono echo has much better sound than a docked fire tablet.

I don't rate the amazon tablets for sound. its basic tinny stereo, other more expensive brands do it better.

They'd be ok for a long journey, with headphones, as you have the up to 12 hour battery life.

if i needed to play music on one, I'd bluetooth it into something better. there's no cast for video [ another feature cut to lower the price] but I think you can "cast" bluetooth audio OK
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 07:57 PM   #41
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
When I'd travel with my Amazon tablets, I'd take along a bluetooth speaker for sound. I really found watching movies on the plane or in the hotel room wasn't so bad. Of course, in the plane I'd use headphones.

You have to as "for the money" to one's expectations. They are decent devices for the money that meet, for me, the following use cases:

For travel, I can load books, tv shows and movies and watch where internet connection is spotty or non-existent.

Social media - keeping up on Facebook, twitter etc.

Browsing the web. Particularly any place that I wouldn't consider safe for my PC.

NOT so great - is participating on forums for the web. Don't like 16:9 in a table for participating here. And the responsiveness of the typing just hasn't been up to snuff.

I don't really game. But you can assume it's just fine for CandyCrush type games but not good enough for 3D shooters and the like.

For reading? I really have had no problem reading on them.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 08:51 PM   #42
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
A Fire HD tablet has been my primary reader and main internet consumption device for several years now.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:02 PM   #43
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm seriously considering the new HD 8. Hopefully, Prime Day won't be delayed too long.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 05-16-2020 at 09:48 PM. Reason: removed incorrect info on Prime Day
Old 05-16-2020, 09:23 PM   #44
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Heads Up

Based on previous years, my best guess is that Prime Day 2020 will occur on Mon 13 July. A dedicated thread for the event will be started around the first of July.

I'm seriously considering the new HD 8.
I actually thought Amazon had postponed this year's prime day
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:46 PM   #45
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
I actually thought Amazon had postponed this year's prime day
You're correct. I missed the announcement. Looks like it MIGHT happen in August?