Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-22-2020, 08:23 AM   #46
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The Kindle DXG B009 and Kindle Keyboard B008 still work, though inexplicably the smaller Keyboard B008 got AZW/KF8 / publisher font support and the stock DXG B009 is stuck with original file formats, though the Jailbreak font patch is pretty.

I only object to companies switching off validation servers (Hudl from Tesco bricks if resetted) or deliberately bricking devices. If it actually works they don't need to be doing new firmware.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:31 AM   #47
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
Has Amazon actually announced that updates for the PW3 have ceased?
It is possible that the PW3 update is just delayed. The Source Code Notice page has an entry for 5.12.5 firmware in the Kindle Paperwhite (7th Generation) section.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2020, 11:58 AM   #48
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The Kindle DXG B009 and Kindle Keyboard B008 still work, though inexplicably the smaller Keyboard B008 got AZW/KF8 / publisher font support and the stock DXG B009 is stuck with original file formats, though the Jailbreak font patch is pretty.

I only object to companies switching off validation servers (Hudl from Tesco bricks if resetted) or deliberately bricking devices. If it actually works they don't need to be doing new firmware.
The Kindle Keyboard has double the amount of firmware memory than the Kindle DX per what I have read. 256 MB versus 128 MB per the Wikipedia Kindle reader history article tables (good info). All units starting with the PW3 and Voyage have had 512 MB of firmware memory, allowing more features and continued updates theoretically. The DXG is basically second generation hardware while the Keyboard is third generation. I have both, still working. So basically the DX white and DXG are memory limited as to what features can be built-in compared to the Kindle Keyboard. The Kindle 1 and 2 are even more memory limited.

Last edited by Richwood; 04-22-2020 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Expanded
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 12:57 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why can't Amazon create a firmware for the DX that drops Mobi and adds KF8?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 12:58 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
It is possible that the PW3 update is just delayed. The Source Code Notice page has an entry for 5.12.5 firmware in the Kindle Paperwhite (7th Generation) section.
Why would Amazon release 5.12.5 for all the other Kindles that are getting it and yet delay the PW3?
Advert
Old 04-22-2020, 01:38 PM   #51
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why can't Amazon create a firmware for the DX that drops Mobi and adds KF8?
Because it would be a ridiculous use of scarce development resources. Despite your dislike for MOBI it is still Amazon's universal fallback format and is not going away anytime soon.

Quote:
Why would Amazon release 5.12.5 for all the other Kindles that are getting it and yet delay the PW3?
Most likely because a bug was discovered that only impacts that platform.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 02:32 PM   #52
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
The Kindle Keyboard has double the amount of firmware memory than the Kindle DX per what I have read.
And the DXG basically adds a better contrast screen at same DPI, hence the B009 code vs B008 of Keyboard, because apart from the screen and colour, it's the older DX which is B004 and B005 models.
Now I understand.
It's good that all the later firmwares that do azw3/KF8 still support older mobi because most people don't have Calibre and would have no idea how to convert their existing files that might not be from Amazon.

Quote:
Kindle Keyboard (3rd Generation)
Your serial number starts with B008 download this file.
Your serial number starts with B006 download this file.
Your serial number starts with B00A download this file.

Note: If your device is on a version older than 3.4.2, please visit Previous software versions for Kindle Keyboard (3rd Generation) for instructions.

Kindle DX (2nd Generation)

Your serial number starts with B004 download this file.
After your device has fully updated, download and install the Kindle Services Update.

Your serial number starts with B005 download this file.
After your device has fully updated, download and install the Kindle Services Update.

Your serial number starts with B009 download this file. (The DXG)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...MQC26VQQMM8XSW

Last edited by Quoth; 04-22-2020 at 02:39 PM. Reason: DXG earlier AND later than Keyboard B008
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 04:08 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

IMHO (and a lot of others right Hitch ) it's time for Mobi to go away.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:15 PM   #54
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
But KF8 is proprietary. That would mean many sellers of DRM-free ebooks (Baen, Smashwords) could no longer sell their books in Kindle format. Yes, we MR members know how to convert, but many people don't.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 04:22 PM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
But KF8 is proprietary. That would mean many sellers of DRM-free ebooks (Baen, Smashwords) could no longer sell their books in Kindle format. Yes, we MR members know how to convert, but many people don't.
For Tor's free eBook giveaway includes ePub and a dual-mobi. For all we know, some are already selling KF8 in the guise of a dual-format mobi.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:18 PM   #56
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
I personally find Mobi files to be fine on Kindle readers. They may not allow some of the fine adjustment tweaking that later formats do but provide a perfectly readable book. Maybe I am just not so picky about exact page layouts and fonts. I still have the Kindle DX which has ONE default font. With thousands of paperback and hard cover books published over the last 100+ years in my library, which cannot change fonts or layout, I am pretty tolerant as long as the book does not have too many typos.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:26 PM   #57
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
That happens all the time. They'll post updates for a few readers and then in a week or a month they'll add a few more. Patience, Grasshopper!

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:30 PM   #58
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Since Kindles still exist that only support Mobi and since the code to convert books to Mobi has been in place at Amazon for a long time, eliminating Mobi would accomplish little and hurt quite a few people with older devices.

I see no problem with a company supporting older devices. It costs us nothing. Ereaders should be about reading, not about fashion.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 11:37 PM   #59
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I personally find Mobi files to be fine on Kindle readers. They may not allow some of the fine adjustment tweaking that later formats do but provide a perfectly readable book. Maybe I am just not so picky about exact page layouts and fonts. I still have the Kindle DX which has ONE default font. With thousands of paperback and hard cover books published over the last 100+ years in my library, which cannot change fonts or layout, I am pretty tolerant as long as the book does not have too many typos.
I don't use mobi myself, because I am extremely picky about fonts and layout, despite having read immutable paper books for most of my life (I still have about a thousand of paper books, but I'm afraid I'll never touch most of them again. Nowadays I only read a paper book when there's no ebook available at all). Still, I don't think mobi should vanish just yet. It may be an old and crude format, but it's perfectly readable for the not-so-fussy (which probably is the majority of users).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 06:38 AM   #60
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
I'm guessing you don't read any periodicals. Those *only* work on mobi. (Yes, this is annoying since it means no hyphenation etc in periodicals, but it looks like the code to handle periodicals' structure only exists in the mobi reader, which is written in an entirely different language to the KF8 and KFX readers, and I guess they didn't spend the time to reimplement it.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote