Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 12-02-2019, 04:43 PM   #16
samcohen
Connoisseur
samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post

I'm happy with current CC for Android (I was happy on IOS too until the last update, now switched to Libreca). If the monthly subscription reaches android I will release an opensource alternative which would implement a subset of what current CC does, as a minimum viable product for everybody.
That's awesome! Excited to see what you make!
samcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:04 PM   #17
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcohen View Post
That's awesome! Excited to see what you make!
Why can't you answer those Android users who have asked you about their version?
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2019, 08:44 PM   #18
samcohen
Connoisseur
samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
And Android?

Please inform us if that platform has been abandoned and if not, what to expect and when.
Android is not abandoned. Android will be worked on next.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:30 PM   #19
mdclanahan
Connoisseur
mdclanahan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad 6th Gen
Will the new update fix author sort? The current version is borked.
mdclanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:51 PM   #20
samcohen
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdclanahan View Post
Will the new update fix author sort? The current version is borked.
Yes, it will!
Advert
Old 12-07-2019, 07:33 AM   #21
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Yes, it will!
Well whenever you have nothing better to do, some people need it a.s.a.p.

Or should we more realistically expect sometime in 2020?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 03:35 PM   #22
OldLincoln
Zealot
OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FBReader
I will appreciate the fix when it arrives, but life isn't a video game and work takes real earth time. In the mean time just breath in and breath out. If you think this is taking a long time try carrying a baby full term!
OldLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 04:30 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
iOS 13.3 was recently released.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 04:40 PM   #24
OldLincoln
Zealot
OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FBReader
Guess I didn't mention I'm using a current version of Android.
OldLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:28 AM   #25
samcohen
Connoisseur

Quote:
Well whenever you have nothing better to do, some people need it a.s.a.p.

Or should we more realistically expect sometime in 2020?
I should not have said a date to expect this. I don't want to rush the development team. Apologies again for it taking a while.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:53 PM   #26
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I should not have said a date to expect this. I don't want to rush the development team. Apologies again for it taking a while.
I take it this is your wriggle out of

"we should be able to release it before Christmas"

and that nothing will happen this year

[begin rant]
What bugs me most is that there's no longer even a pretence of on going support - when did you last respond, to a please help post here - and that its been 8 weeks since you admitted author sort was broken in IOS and yet you still don't even have an eta for fixing it.

Did you miss the class on how to release a hotfix ?

You do know that this forum is the publicized official place to come to for app support?

If you only plan to show up once a month, then change that.

And as for android, have the decency to release the source code so that others can improve it, because you are never going to get around to it.
[ end rant]
Old 12-18-2019, 12:14 PM   #27
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
And as for android, have the decency to release the source code so that others can improve it, because you are never going to get around to it.
While the app needs to be updated to fix a few things that Google broke, the database, opds, wireless device and most widgets are still working fine on latest android versions. The source has a lot of value and opensourcing is a good way for destroying it from the finantial pov.

BTW, if the developer is reading this, the android version should probably be updated before November 2020 to be able to update against API28. See https://github.com/termux/termux-app...ment-474087248

If not then the new update would destroy current CC workflow (API29 introduces scoped storage, so you'll need to implement Storage Access Framework to deal with files).
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 12:31 PM   #28
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
While the app needs to be updated to fix a few things that Google broke,...

and DROPBOX
and AMAZON DRIVE

BTW, if the developer is reading this, the android version should probably be updated before November 2020 to be able to update against API28. See https://github.com/termux/termux-app...ment-474087248

If not then the new update would destroy current CC workflow (API29 introduces scoped storage, so you'll need to implement Storage Access Framework to deal with files).
I think that's a known issue . Chaley posted 18 months ago that the way CC hands of book files needs to be re-written for Android 7+ , unless this is another issue that needs attention
see here: post#2.https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=300234

based on performance to date by the new "devlopment team" for IOS there's little or no change of android work happening in time for a Nov 2020 fix. The app will probably just die or be kicked out of play store

its funny that when the "development team" was just Chaley , stuff got done.

the current team - size unknown - has achieved nothing praiseworthy in the last year

and the monthly excuses updates are wearing thin
Old 12-18-2019, 12:56 PM   #29
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
I think that's a known issue . Chaley posted 18 months ago that the way CC hands of book files needs to be re-written for Android 7+ , unless this is another issue that needs attention
see here: post#2.https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=300234

based on performance to date by the new "devlopment team" for IOS there's little or no change of android work happening in time for a Nov 2020 fix. The app will probably just die or be kicked out of play store

its funny that when the "development team" was just Chaley , stuff got done.

the current team - size unknown - has achieved nothing praiseworthy in the last year

and the monthly excuses updates are wearing thin
Nope, they're not the same issue. Chaley was talking about how file providers are left into the void in 7.1, so CC, as any other program, is not able to pass a File in a intent. That's not enforced on some vendors and still works for me on 8.1 in a Huawei tablet. In fact koreader does open files fine from CC and does not support VIEW intents that don't feed files.

The issue that I'm talking about is related with how CC, and any other program, sees the "shared storage" when building against API29+. It does need serious rework to be done.

CC won't be kicked out the Play Store. Just newer versions will require API29 on November 2020. If a new version is shipped before that date then it will work with API28 and CC will still work as intended.

So, any bugfix attempt, without changing the way CC handles the shared storage, needs to be done before scoped storage strikes in.

About the rest of your comments: they're exactly the reason most developers, with the help of app stores, delegate support forms to an email contact. I share with you the worry about the future of CC but bashing the people in charge won't help in any way.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 01:19 PM   #30
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
[I]Nope, they're not the same issue. Chaley was talking about how file providers are left into the void in 7.1, so CC, as any other program, is not able to pass a File in a intent. That's not enforced on some vendors and still works for me on 8.1 in a Huawei tablet. [/I..

yes I did some testing on my Huawei running android 8, or 9, and proved to my own satisafaction that CC does not pass a copy of the book to a reader, it tells the reader where to look to open it. I could not find any scenario that led to having the book in 2 locations.

The issue that I'm talking about is related with how CC, and any other program, sees the "shared storage" when building against API29+. It does need serious rework to be done.

ok - good to know. Well bad to know actually given my concerns below...

I share with you the worry about the future of CC but bashing the people in charge won't help in any way.
true, except it makes me feel better to rant a bit
..and its really frustrating not to be able to log in to dropbox( with a non gmail address) on my two most recent tablet purchases. I am having to use calibre box and direct moon reader access as workarounds - both of those can log in with no issues