Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What layered book shall we examine in November?
Why Shoot a Butler? by Georgette Heyer 6 60.00%
The Night Watch by Sarah Walters 3 30.00%
The Overstory by Richard Powers 4 40.00%
Once Upon a River by Diane Setterfield 6 60.00%
Ever After by Graham Swift 3 30.00%
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë 8 80.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2019, 07:56 AM   #16
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I'm intending starting the Brontë shortly, but while on holiday, I read Once Upon a River, and enjoyed it very much.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:05 PM   #17
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
but while on holiday, I read Once Upon a River, and enjoyed it very much.
I'm in the middle of listening to this now. I'm enjoying it, and it's perfect for long sleepless nights, but I do think it's a little longwinded. More than once I've found myself thinking, "Just get on with it!"
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2019, 05:50 PM   #18
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah well, I enjoyed the length because of the various interweaving stories. And I loved the look at Victorian photography. Rather harder to do than digital photography!
Old 10-21-2019, 09:49 PM   #19
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I was delightfully surprised at the incorporation of the real-life Victorian photographer, Henry Taunt, as a character. What I liked most about the book was its slow meandering journey like the path of a river and the weaving of stories within stories. It does get mixed reviews on Goodreads though due to its slow pacing. I can understand why.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:36 PM   #20
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm switching back and forth between listening to and reading Wildfell Hall and in one of those situations that recur with prolific narrators, I keep wondering why Richard Sharpe has shown up. Frederick Davidson's voice for Gilbert Markham is very similar to his voice for Sharpe in Bernard Cornwall's eponymous series.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2019, 02:40 PM   #21
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
That's funny, issybird. I haven't hit it, primarily I suspect because I haven't been listening to either Sharpe or Davidson recently. But I have certainly hit similar before!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:36 PM   #22
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

I am reading an ebook, downloaded from the MobileRead library. I had started the book with a version from the University of Adelaide website (normally very reliable), but was a bit surprised by the slightly odd beginning and only at the end of the first chapter realised that it was supposed to be a letter.

Apparently some versions are missing the actual opening of the book, and maybe other parts of it also, so I do recommend the MR version, which is complete.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:29 AM   #23
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
I'm intending starting the Brontë shortly, but while on holiday, I read Once Upon a River, and enjoyed it very much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm in the middle of listening to this now. I'm enjoying it, and it's perfect for long sleepless nights, but I do think it's a little longwinded. More than once I've found myself thinking, "Just get on with it!"
Quote:
Ah well, I enjoyed the length because of the various interweaving stories. And I loved the look at Victorian photography. Rather harder to do than digital photography!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I was delightfully surprised at the incorporation of the real-life Victorian photographer, Henry Taunt, as a character. What I liked most about the book was its slow meandering journey like the path of a river and the weaving of stories within stories. It does get mixed reviews on Goodreads though due to its slow pacing. I can understand why.
Well, I agree with all this. There were indeed times I felt the story dragging (try too hard to maintain the mood was my thought), but while the mood was on me the meandering style fit the story and setting really well. The integration of Daunt/Taunt and photography was wonderfully done; I especially liked him identifying the images he wanted ("I want that look" and so on), it also gave an excuse for some of the descriptions of light and shadow - imagery that fit both his mind and the story. I'm looking forward to revisiting this sometime: one (big for me) advantage of re-reading is being able to settle down right at the start, knowing what to expect and being prepared to enjoy it for what it is rather than what you think it is supposed to be. (I find it can be very difficult to come to a story without preconceptions of one sort or another ... perhaps because so much of my reading is driven by mood.)

I only fear that my taking time over this may mean I am a bit late finishing up with Anne Brontë.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote