Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-10-2019, 09:38 PM   #46
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
If I pay 350 for a phone, I want it to do all the bells and whistles, not a minimalist design.
Ditto. If I wanted a minimalist phone I would get a cheap flip phone.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:34 PM   #47
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I use a flip phone for calls and texting. I always carry it.

I use a non-activated smartphone for music, audiobooks, OTR, podcasts, and cartoons. I rarely carry it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2019, 02:42 AM   #48
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
I like the idea of the Light Phone, but the price is a barrier. I understand the economy of scale is working against this small company, but I personally can't toss $350 at a phone when I'm already making payments on the one in my pocket. However, I do love the idea of the minimalist phone.

Good article.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:53 AM   #49
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
You all have valid points, but most of the people who pre-ordered or are going to buy it at $350 have already exhausted all those options and they're still reinstalling apps they told themselves they weren't going to. Features like Screen Time on iOS is just another thing they figure out how to get over or eventually turn off.

The price tag keeps the tinkerers and people not really serious about using the phone the way it's intended out of the picture for now.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:08 AM   #50
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
About Android and Google apps:
The google apps are what (contractually) allow the use of the Android name.
They are an integral part of the Android OS, as ANDROID™.

A manufacturer can remove them and stick to the open fork of the OS (like Amazon and others do) but tbey can't call the OS Android.

At the user level you can uninstall *upgrades* and revert to the factory-installed version but it will still be there.

Google is *doing* with Chrome (and Gmail, Play, etc) what Microsoft *wanted* to do with Internet Explorer that got them dragged into court. I wonder what (if anything) the 50 AGs will do about that...

(I'm betting "nothing".)

As to the price of the eInk minimalist phone, the non-minimalist price is unavoidable. eInk screens are more expensive than LCD. So are reflective LCDs. It's because of the size (as in, not ereader) and the volume. Which is why even non-minimalist low-end Android phones cost way less than the Light Phone.

For those interested in a cheap LIGHT Phone, a better solution might be a minimalist/essentialist replacement Launcher.

Of note, there is this...

https://m.apkpure.com/indistractable...uncher.android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid&hl=en_US
...inspired by tbe LIGHT phone.

A search for minimalist Launchers brings in dozens of candidates, some more minimalist than others.

This one is pretty basic:
https://lessdroid.com

And even open source, for those where that matters.

I favor the Microsoft launcher in minimal config.
It hides everything except phone, messaging, browser, and the apps button. And even those can be removed.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...launcher&hl=en

Really good if you're setting up a phone for a parent.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2019, 12:05 PM   #51
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
My mistake. It's Verizon's LG 4G LTE-Only Exalt I'm thinking of. $170.
I got mine (flip phone) at Amazon for $10.54 and it works just fine.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:25 AM   #52
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I use a flip phone for calls and texting. I always carry it.

I use a non-activated smartphone for music, audiobooks, OTR, podcasts, and cartoons. I rarely carry it.
They are hard to find and no longer cheap. I found that out when my mom's flip phone died. She didn't want a smart phone. I didn't want to spend near $200 for a "dumb phone". And there was only 1 offered by her carrier at $179
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:50 AM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think a reasonably priced simple smartphone would do very well. For example, I find the phone app on my iPhone much easier to use then my Dad's flip phone. We did go to Sprint and AT&T to see what phones were available and almost nothing and nothing better. What I'd like is a phone that has the phone app and maybe a few other apps. And it would be good to have a GPS so it can be tracked. You cannot o that with flip phones.

I was hoping the Motorola Razor was going to make a comeback, but I find that if it does, it will not be the same. It will be useless for my father. He doesn't need a foldable android smartphone.

The problem we have is that phones these days are not geared to people who do not want a smartphone or people who cannot use a smartphone. It's unfair really.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:12 AM   #54
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
They are hard to find and no longer cheap. I found that out when my mom's flip phone died. She didn't want a smart phone. I didn't want to spend near $200 for a "dumb phone". And there was only 1 offered by her carrier at $179
I have Verizon and they're going to make my 7-yo flip phone obsolete at the end of either 2019 or 2020. Their lowest price for a phone compatible on their 4G network is $100. That's too much, so I'll wait for Black Friday and get a cheaper one from someone else and activate it at Verizon.

I have several smartphones that I paid less than $20 for and I don't want to pay much more than that for an old school phone.

Time will tell...
Old 09-12-2019, 11:14 AM   #55
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem we have is that phones these days are not geared to people who do not want a smartphone or people who cannot use a smartphone. It's unfair really.
Dumb Phone Users of the World Unite
Old 09-12-2019, 11:21 AM   #56
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I have Verizon and they're going to make my 7-yo flip phone obsolete at the end of either 2019 or 2020. Their lowest price for a phone compatible on their 4G network is $100. That's too much, so I'll wait for Black Friday and get a cheaper one from someone else and activate it at Verizon.

I have several smartphones that I paid less than $20 for and I don't want to pay much more than that for an old school phone.

Time will tell...
Why buy another phone when you have several smartphones already available? You can just delete/disable apps you don't want to use and spend nothing.

I have a nice little Alcatel something or another that I bought on the cheap and use as an MP3 player. The thing barely could function as a smart phone because it is so underpowered, but as a replacement for a flip phone (so it would just make phone calls and text) it would work just fine.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:34 AM   #57
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
I switched to a small smartphone (iPhone SE, $350) in 2017 when I learned that Verizon was phasing out the band that most flip phones use. Then my family got on board doing the same thing. I used to laugh when I heard a family would spend $100 a month on a family cell phone plan. Now I do :/
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:03 PM   #58
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by harriska2 View Post
I switched to a small smartphone (iPhone SE, $350) in 2017 when I learned that Verizon was phasing out the band that most flip phones use. Then my family got on board doing the same thing. I used to laugh when I heard a family would spend $100 a month on a family cell phone plan. Now I do :/
most carriers are phasing out 2G/2.5G or have already done so. so when looking a a flip phone, you have to make sure that it is at least 3G compatible (4G if you are looking to future proof for a while longer).
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:07 PM   #59
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Why buy another phone when you have several smartphones already available? You can just delete/disable apps you don't want to use and spend nothing.

I have a nice little Alcatel something or another that I bought on the cheap and use as an MP3 player. The thing barely could function as a smart phone because it is so underpowered, but as a replacement for a flip phone (so it would just make phone calls and text) it would work just fine.
I know, but I don't like carrying smartphones. They're too big and fragile for front pocket carry in my jeans and a flip phone isn't. Additionally, I very rarely need internet access when I'm out and about, so I have no need for a data plan. It's just a personal preference thing.

On my media player smartphones, I dumb those down as soon as I get one. I delete/disable most of the pre-installed apps and download book, music, and radio apps. I never use those devices for email, shopping, maps, schedules, etc, I use my computer for that.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:19 PM   #60
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
most carriers are phasing out 2G/2.5G or have already done so. so when looking a a flip phone, you have to make sure that it is at least 3G compatible (4G if you are looking to future proof for a while longer).
I don't know about other carriers, but Verizon is terminating 3G service for most users at the end of the year and will no longer activate 3G phones. It'll remain available till the end of 2020 for enterprise users. I've heard conflicting reports as to whether or not my 3G flip phone will even work next year. So to play it safe, Im getting a newer 4G phone.