Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 01-02-2020, 06:33 PM   #46
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
IMO the best feature of Calibre Companion is being able to use the smart device app calibre driver. Chaley wrote both the client and the server in https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...art_device_app.

I would start for releasing an opensource implementation for that piece of code.

About what is pretty straight forward or not, I think is just a matter of past experience. Things that you see easy can be a nightmare for me.
True, it's all about experience. I would likely implement the UI a bit different than the current CC UI, but that's just because I'm use to developing tab oriented screens rather that tree oriented screens. If you look at the DB behind Calibre, most of the data structures are already there.

That piece is a very important piece. Thanks for pointing out that it exists.

Yea, this is a project I've given some thought to, based on my use of CC and how I do things, but first I have to learn Swift and iOS programming, a non trivial task.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 05:15 PM   #47
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
"We are working on some cool new features and after we diligently test it we should be able to release it before Christmas."

clearly the great development team need our thoughts and prayers, a new calendar, and any copies of coding for dummies that we can spare

why do I feel I'll be reposting this next Xmas
I'm not sure if you saw it but there was an update to the 1st post in this thread saying Q1 of 2020
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 05:47 PM   #48
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I'm not sure if you saw it but there was an update to the 1st post in this thread saying Q1 of 2020
I'd rather see a new post with updated info. How many people check back to an OP in case there has been an edit with new information?
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 08:01 PM   #49
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I'd rather see a new post with updated info. How many people check back to an OP in case there has been an edit with new information?
I totally agree, but then Sam appears to have little idea as to how to handle customers.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 02:09 AM   #50
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I totally agree, but then Sam appears to have little idea as to how to handle customers.
or developers

and yes, i saw the "Q1" update, so i could edit my earlier one to say.. reposting in Q2,... then Q3...

but why bother. seems like he's turned off new post notifications and stuck his head in the sand, hoping the remaining customers will just go away and forget all about him
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:10 PM   #51
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
I think we all should put our heads together to find other software that will help us - I've decided IOS CC is dead and have removed it from my ipad. I'm currently trying out Dropbox with Marvin. I'd like to mark books read back on the Calibre side, but haven't quite worked that out.
Been looking, but haven't figured out a full solution, for me, yet. Been hoping to find a reader that would a) allow a wireless device connection to Calibre and b) has a tag browser similar to Calibre/Calibre Companion (so I can easily browse by Author, Series, Tag, Etc). A) can kind of be solved by using the Calibre server and OPDS, but I don't find that ideal.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:12 PM   #52
samcohen
Connoisseur
samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Its coming I promise!!! Here's a little preview. Still dealing with a few bugs. I'm getting better at this I swear.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0KhC...o8CFSzKwOEr3Dg

Last edited by samcohen; 01-07-2020 at 02:20 PM.
samcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:03 PM   #53
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcohen View Post
Its coming I promise!!! Here's a little preview. Still dealing with a few bugs. I'm getting better at this I swear.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0KhC...o8CFSzKwOEr3Dg
When?

And how much are you planning to charge for the fix?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:34 AM   #54
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
i'm quite gutted Calibre Companion is ruined now. I used it as a database more than an ebook program but it was invaluable. Guess I might as well delete the app now (since it can't be updated and use Calibre to generate a spreadsheet for me.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 01:10 AM   #55
BlankEyes
Enthusiast
BlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the rough

Device: iPad 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Been looking, but haven't figured out a full solution, for me, yet. Been hoping to find a reader that would a) allow a wireless device connection to Calibre and b) has a tag browser similar to Calibre/Calibre Companion (so I can easily browse by Author, Series, Tag, Etc). A) can kind of be solved by using the Calibre server and OPDS, but I don't find that ideal.
MapleRead
BlankEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 12:29 AM   #56
Mims
Addict
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, iPads,IPhone,Aura H2O,PW3
Will the iOS update be for iPad and iPhone? Anybody know for sure?
Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:36 PM   #57
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Mims - given iOS only runs on iDevices, one would assume that the CC iOS update will run on iPads and iPhones.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:08 PM   #58
Mims
Addict
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That’s what I’ve been assuming but yesterday I recalled a few times having to buy the same app twice - once for iPhone and then different version for iPad. Didn’t that happen with Marvin? I’m probably misremembering.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:29 PM   #59
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mims View Post
That’s what I’ve been assuming but yesterday I recalled a few times having to buy the same app twice - once for iPhone and then different version for iPad. Didn’t that happen with Marvin? I’m probably misremembering.
That depends on the developer.

The original release for Marvin (white M on red background) indeed had separate versions for iPhone and iPad but eventually got merged into the iPhone app (now renamed to Marvin Classic). Marvin 3 was a universal app upon release.

As far as I recall, CC for iOS is a universal app (works on both iPhone and iPad).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:15 PM   #60
Mims
Addict

Yes, I had the phone app and Marvin 2 is still my favorite over Marvin 3. I haven’t gone back through all the threads since the “wipe out “ last fall, but it seemed that all of Sam’s samples were of how things would look on the phone. Are the phone iOS and iPad iOS still keeping in lockstep?

The reason all this came to my mind is that I was thinking about trading in my old ipad (the one that still has the pre-wipe out CC) and wouldn’t want to lose that if the new CC isn’t optimized for iPad and iPhone.

Oh well, time to forget this and focus on something else — glass of wine and just ONE more chapter before lights out😊