Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-11-2018, 03:27 AM   #1
Richdog
Nameless Being

My beloved Sony PRS-T1 is dying (sob)... what to replace her with? [EU]

So, after almost 10 years of faithful service, my beloved Sony PRS-T1, that has been my staunch companion through thick and thin while travelling, shopping, on my daily commutes, is on her last legs. Her wee battery no longer holds a charge, she gets confused and skips pages by herself sometimes and her general health has sadly deteriorated to the point where I think euthanasia is the only ethical and moral option.

So, while it pains me to discuss her replacement while she lies on my desk in pain, here is what I need from a new e-reader:
  • Same size as a Sony PRS-T1 (fits in my jacket pockets) around 6"
  • Add EPUB books and manage library via Calibre
  • Long battery life
  • A good and even backlight (will be my first, woo)
  • Preferably physical page turn buttons but not a deal-breaker if not

Budget is not a huge concern but at the same time I do not want to pay more than I need to if there is something that fits my needs for less than a gazillion euros.

I have done some research and the top contenders I see are:
  1. Nook Glowlight Plus (I like the fact it is waterproof)
  2. Kobo Aura 2nd Edition

Looking forward to your recommendations.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:47 PM   #2
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I have a Kobo Aura H2O, which is a bit bigger (6.8") then the Aura you're looking at. Still, it fits into my inside jacket pockets no problem.

Given that you're in Europe, I would tend to recommend the Kobo over the Nook, purely because Kobo has a better presence in Europe. The Aura 2nd Edition can definitely meet your requirements nicely (except for your optional physical page buttons.) If you want to go a bit more high-end I think you might like the H2O 2nd Edition.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2018, 03:43 PM   #3
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I agree with ottdmk about going for a Kobo over the Nook, as there's no support for the Nook outside of the US. Depending on where you are in the EU, isn't one of the Tolino readers a better option?

The Kobo Aura 2nd edition certainly will be a good fit in terms of size, its a little smaller overall than the PRS-T1. Its screen resolution/light/clarity isn't as good as the other Kobo models though, certainly the H2O, albeit with its bigger 6.8" screen, is a lot better.

In terms of size, here's a comparison between them:

129 x 179mm kobo aura h2o
129 x 172mm kobo aura h20 2
119 x 163mm nook glowlight plus
113 x 159mm kobo aura
110 x 173mm sony prs-t1
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:55 AM   #4
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Have you looked at Pocketbook Touch HD 2? It seems like a nice unit and it got physical buttons.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:07 AM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
To stick up for the Glowlight Plus, it does have a MUCH nicer screen than the Aura 2 and it is waterproof. It is an overall much nicer bit of hardware for the price.

Kobo's software is much better than Nooks though. I will admit that. Also, at least one user on here has mentioned the capacitive home button can be frustrating as it can be easy to press accidentally.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2018, 09:41 AM   #6
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Have you looked at Pocketbook Touch HD 2? It seems like a nice unit and it got physical buttons.
I second the recommendation. If I were to pick up a new 6" reader right now, it'd be the Touch HD 2. I think it'll check all your boxes and it's not linked to any store, either. (This isn't really a big problem with the other readers suggested.) I went with the larger Pocketbook InkPad 3 (after considering and researching the Touch HD 2 for a while) because I wanted to experience a bigger display and I already have a 6" device, but 7.8" really is substantially bulkier than my Kobo Glo. I use both, just for different types of reading.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:18 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I went from a T1 to an H2O and it was a great decision. I suggest you do the same.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 02:20 AM   #8
Richdog
Nameless Being

Thanks guys for the advice and feedback it was much appreciated. In the end I bought a Kobo Glo HD refurbished for 99 EUR and should receive it in a week or two.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:35 AM   #9
Richdog
Nameless Being

So, I have now received my Kobo Glo HD and used it for a few weeks and while it took me a while to get used to it, i now really love it. The size is great, backlight is great, and it is much more user-friendly (barring the lack of physical page turn keys) in terms of software etc.

Overall I am very happy I bought it, and I got a great looking case too which makes it look very slick and looks and feels like it should be far more expensive https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-05-2018, 10:23 AM   #10
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
The Nook cannot organize books via calibre, and has flaky software in general.

The Kobo has no buttons. If it did, I would get one.

I suggest you get a Sony T2 or T3 on ebay.

edit: oops. Have fun with your kobo.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 12:53 AM   #11
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
The Nook cannot organize books via calibre, and has flaky software in general. The Kobo has no buttons. If it did, I would get one. I suggest you get a Sony T2 or T3 on ebay.
The Pocketbook readers check all of those boxes.

But yeah, he got a Kobo already.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote