Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-02-2018, 07:21 AM   #106
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
My store browsing experience went like this -
- I go to the section that I'm interested in.
- first set of shelves had new books ordered by author. This made it very easy to scan to see if any of my favorite authors had anything new and to see if any new books appealed to me.
- Rest of the section had authors ordered by author.

repeat for each section that I was interested in.

Two issues with a similar experience via computer - first, many more books. Second, very limited screen space.

On the flip side, there are a lot of things that one can do on a computer to customize it for an even better experience. Of course, different people want different things in an interface, which is why I suggested elsewhere that the database should be decoupled from the actual interface. Amazon actually did this early on, allowing access to their database via API.

There are a number of "If you liked this author, you might like that author" search engines out there. Some of more on the mark than others.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:20 PM   #107
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
There are a number of "If you liked this author, you might like that author" search engines out there. Some of more on the mark than others.
About a year back, I tried a couple of the if you like this author, here's others you may like sites. I will admit that some of the results weren't bad but I also got quite a few authors being recommended that weren't even in the same time zone, well, genre. How did I get from science fiction with an emphasis on the hard science variant to shapeshifter fantasy/romances. How did Hal Clement connect to Shelley Laurenston? That's the only odd pairing I can remember but there were several in that line.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:59 PM   #108
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
About a year back, I tried a couple of the if you like this author, here's others you may like sites. I will admit that some of the results weren't bad but I also got quite a few authors being recommended that weren't even in the same time zone, well, genre. How did I get from science fiction with an emphasis on the hard science variant to shapeshifter fantasy/romances. How did Hal Clement connect to Shelley Laurenston? That's the only odd pairing I can remember but there were several in that line.
Probably from people like me who read in all different genres. Sorry...I just went from John D. MacDonald to Madeleine L'Engle to a biography of Jimmy Buffet. I'm thinking of re-reading the Honor Harrington books again next. Last month I re-read some early Heinlein. I'm sure I'm not the only person who reads like this, and most of those "if you like this, then you may like this" sites go by what people read.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:18 PM   #109
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Probably from people like me who read in all different genres. Sorry...I just went from John D. MacDonald to Madeleine L'Engle to a biography of Jimmy Buffet. I'm thinking of re-reading the Honor Harrington books again next. Last month I re-read some early Heinlein. I'm sure I'm not the only person who reads like this, and most of those "if you like this, then you may like this" sites go by what people read.

Shari
You aren't alone. I'll go from reading a movie novelization to Steinbeck to a pulp western. Variety is the spice of life.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:12 PM   #110
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
My main genre is Science Fiction, but I also read all over the map. I just started Harm's Way by James Bassett which I purchased February 8, 2018 for $0.99.
APache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:50 AM   #111
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post

Shari
Ahh... now I know who to blame.

I tend to read multiple genres but likely a more limited selection. Hmmmm.... do tech manuals qualify as a genre? The last couple of weeks, my reading included a biography of John Denver, HP ProCurve switch manuals, two of Laura Chappell's Wireshark books, Darynda Jones' The Trouble With Twelfth Grave in addition to my usual science fiction and fantasy (Hal Clement, John Brunner, Grantville Gazette and the recent Baen bundle).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
browse