Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 03-18-2010, 01:51 AM   #1
Hitchcockfan
Hitchcockfan began at the beginning.

Device: None
Note To Self: Make A Decision!

Hi,

It's nice to meet everyone! MobileRead is a great site! I'm learning a lot in the forums. I've been trying to decide on an e-reader for the last year. There are so many things to take into consideration. At one point or another, I've considered the Sony PRS-600, B&N Nook, Astak EZ PocketPro and most recently the PocketBook 360.

I'd like an e-reader that supports several formats, has a user-replaceable battery and can display RSS Feeds. And because I also read and write screenplays, it would be great if it reflowed PDF documents. However, that's not a "must have". In terms of screen size, my budget fits in the 5-inch and 6-inch e-reader categories.

Here are some of my thoughts on the e-readers I've considered:
--Sony PRS-600 (Sounds like a great e-reader with support for several formats. However, complaints about the screen glare and customer support concern me.)
--B&N Nook (Initial reviews were dismal. I wrote the Nook off until I came across the nookDevs site and saw the true potential of this e-reader. Only question is whether I'm technically capable of pulling off the Softroot.)
--Astak EZ PocketPro (A basic e-reader from a visual perspective, but many happy owners of this device. At $200, it's hard to pull the trigger when for $50 more I can get a 6-inch screen and more functionality from the Sony and the Nook.)
--PocketBook 360 (This one came out of left field and I'm glad I've added it to the list of contenders. While it has a 5-inch screen, it meets my other "must haves". And frankly, when placed next to a 6-inch e-reader, the amount of text looks about the same. Maybe the screen real estate is used more effectively on the PocketBook 360? This e-reader also has room for growth and user-development capabilities because of Linux.)

So there you have it, my headache composed in writing for all to see. Any feedback, advice, suggestions and the like are all greatly appreciated!

See you in the forums!

John
Hitchcockfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:29 AM   #2
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome to MR!!!

I personally like SONY PRS-600. I do not think there is any glare issue.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:08 AM   #3
Almas
Addict
Almas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Touch; Sony PRS-600
I totally understand the confusion associated with trying to decide which e-reader device to buy! It's so hard, and even when you make a decision and take the plunge, something else starts to look appealing

All the best with deciding what to get. The forums were a big help to me when I was thinking which reader to get. And welcome!
Almas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:12 AM   #4
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Click image for larger version

Name:	black-sign.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	48297 to the forum, Hitchcockfan.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:50 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi John and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:41 PM   #6
Hitchcockfan
Hitchcockfan began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thank you for the welcome everyone!

John
Hitchcockfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #7
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi John and welcome to MR - take the plunge and get one. I like my Sony, have no problems with the glare and so far have not needed customer service. Although I must admit I am very tempted at getting the Pocketbook - just as a back up :-)
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote