Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 09-07-2021, 02:32 PM   #1
Cookieke
Cookieke began at the beginning.

Device: Storytel reader
Storytel reader

Hi, today if been gifted the Storytel Reader.
It comes with a 2 months subscription. Now if seen that after these 2 months i need to keep the subscription 13€/month. Otherwise the reader won't work i need to sign in before i can read. Even books i bought somwhere else. Does someone know is there is a way to sideload other software on this reader so i can just read my books without paying 13€/month?
Cookieke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:42 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
"Importing a file to the device requires subscription."
"You need to have an active subscription to login and use the e-reader."
"Even your own sideloaded content needs an active subscription"

It's pointless. A year's subscription is equivalent to a decent ereader.

A free Storytel is a hook. Why they need to charge as much as a free to use ereader is a mystery.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 10:02 AM   #3
Cookieke
Cookieke began at the beginning.

Device: Storytel reader
So better to trow it away after the 2 month and buy an other brand? Because no way to bypass the login to work?
Cookieke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 10:28 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookieke View Post
So better to trow it away after the 2 month and buy an other brand? Because no way to bypass the login to work?

In many cultures, it's considered bad manners to throw away a gift. Enjoy your two months, and then quietly 'retire' it in a drawer.

THEN, you would be advised to buy a Kindle or a Kobo - to name just two choices.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-18-2021 at 03:00 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 08:28 AM   #5
ntherning
ntherning began at the beginning.

Device: Storytel Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookieke View Post
Hi, today if been gifted the Storytel Reader.
It comes with a 2 months subscription. Now if seen that after these 2 months i need to keep the subscription 13€/month. Otherwise the reader won't work i need to sign in before i can read. Even books i bought somwhere else. Does someone know is there is a way to sideload other software on this reader so i can just read my books without paying 13€/month?
If you still have your device you might want to check out https://github.com/ntherning/StorytelReaderMods where I have documented how to unlock the Storytel Reader and load alternative apps onto it.
ntherning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 12:22 AM   #6
davidjwillson
davidjwillson began at the beginning.

Device: LX50
Absolutely, I've been using Storytel for a while now, and it's been a game-changer for my reading habits. The Storytel reader is fantastic in terms of functionality and ease of use mount google cloud storage as local drive. I love how it allows me to seamlessly switch between reading and listening, making it perfect for both busy days and lazy evenings. The offline mode is a lifesaver during commutes or when I'm in an area with a spotty internet connection. Plus, the vast library ensures there's always something interesting to explore. I highly recommend diving into some of their exclusive content – it's a hidden gem!
davidjwillson is offline   Reply With Quote