Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-29-2009, 04:14 PM   #1
tmx
tmx began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
PRS-500 died

Hi to everybody, that's my first post here and I'm sad I need to write because of problems I have with my PRS-500.

That's another 'unbricking' problem, however I already tried all solutions I found here and on other forums (in several different languages) and nothing helps... I decided to flash my reader in order to get missing accents in my native language (Polish). Here is what I did and what I tried to do in order to bring my PRS back into live.

1) Tried to flash my reader with Igorsk's universal SD flasher:
Flasher started, but couldn't complete as my reader used to have newer version of software applied (1.0.03.07170). Yes, I know it was designed for v1.0.02.01300 but I couldn't find a 'downgrader' to get back to previous firmware.

I got the main menu back and pressed 7 (switch to firmware update mode). After that reader started to reboot and ended up with allmighty message:

"Firmware update is not finished correctly. Please execute firmware update again."

That's it, reader stuck. After that I tried to use all kinds of rescue missions, but so far didn't get anythign positive:

1) Tried to get the flasher again, not succed as reader doesn't seem to see the SD card.

2) Back to factory settings shortcut: MARK + VOL+, nothing.

2) Tried to launch original Sony updater but got same problems as some other users -- application doesn't see my PRS-500 connected and the OK/START button is greyed out. I changed USB cables, I tried to launch it in several different ways (first reader, first launch application then reader, first launch, then connect with a cable) but always the same behaviour.

I also tried the method with changing the updater version from 170 to 171 in text file, but that didn't change anything.

I tried to launch Sony updater from the ZIP archive, from separarte folder, sooner, later -- didn't help.

3) Tried to reset: soft and hard, exactly as described here.

4) Tried to unbrick as described here.

5) Tried the Ten-Times reset method, nothing.

My reader seems to work fine: by charging I do have a red led (yes, I charged it for longer time), after resetting it keeps starting up (Starting Up... message appears and yellow led blinks), but it always stops on the message with 'Firmware update is not finished correctly'. I also get 'Updating firmware now...' message whenever I connect my reader to the PC with USB cable (tried several different cables). If I could only make it visible for the Sony updater or for Igorsk magic tool on my SD card (I use 2GB SD card which was previously visible). I still didn't try to change anything from Igorsk files, eg. by renaming main.xml to applicationstart.xml but I'm not sure it would change anything if his software is not loaded.

What could be the next step? Throwing the reader away? Ask Sony for help? (no warranty anymore), try to give it back for 100$ and get something newer (does the program still exist?). Please help.

Thanks!

Last edited by tmx; 09-30-2009 at 03:05 AM.
tmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:07 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You need to make the updater see the Reader. The Reader will ignore the card until you go back to the "normal mode".
Are you using the correct firmware updater? Do you have Sony's USB drivers installed? Does the Reader appear in Device Manager?
Also, next time try UF 2.1, it should work with the latest version.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2009, 11:39 AM   #3
tmx

Yes, I use correct Sony updater and the Reader appears in Device Manager. Please take a look onto the screenshot I made right now: http://tomxx.net/SR_problem.jpg

It shows that greyed out Update button (number 1.0.01.07170 comes from my different tries to cheat an Updater, it's the most up to date Sony version) and an Error (instead of the Reader) displayed by eBook Library. Item is recognize in my OS, however I might try to launch in under different WinXP.

I agree, I need to make it visible for the updator, somehow..

I didn't install anything like Sony USB driver but hope that it goes with eBook Library together. In my Add or Remove Programs I do have just 'Ebook Library by Sony', nothing else.

Last edited by tmx; 09-30-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:48 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, PRS-500 drivers are installed by the eBook Library. And it seems you have them since Reader appears correctly among USB devices...
Do you run the updater with EBL running? If so, try closing it first.
Otherwise, the only other way of switching I can think of is my old ebook.py script. Drop it in "\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\bin", enable write mode and from command line run:
Code:
ebook.py um normal
If it works, that should get you back into normal mode and you can try again.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:06 PM   #5
tmx

Thanks for helping. I run your script on Python 2.6.2 but received following error: UsbOnlyReqProc() Sequence Error [errorNo=-1, command=0x106, state=1]

Reader is connected and automaticaly switched into: 'Updating firmware now...' mode.

Code:
C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\bin>ebook.py um normal
Sony Reader utility 0.41 (c) 2006 Igor Skochinsky
UsbOnlyReqProc() Sequence Error [errorNo=-1, command=0x106, state=1]
Usage: ebook.py cmd [params]
  ls <dir> [-R]: list device directory <dir> [recursively]
  get <path> [destPath]: download <path> from the device to current directory or
 destPath
  cat <path>: dump <path> from the device to the console.

C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\bin>ebook.py um recovery
Usage: ebook.py cmd [params]
  ls <dir> [-R]: list device directory <dir> [recursively]
  get <path> [destPath]: download <path> from the device to current directory or
 destPath
  cat <path>: dump <path> from the device to the console.

C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\bin>ebook.py ls /
UsbOnlyReqProc() Sequence Error [errorNo=-1, command=0x18, state=1]
/:
There is a connection, as if the script is run without the Reader connected the error message is different:

Code:
UsbOnlyReqProc() Usb_SendDataCon return error [err=-1, command=0x0, state=1, dat
aSize=4]
UsbInitCheck() UsbGetProtcolVer() err=-56
Device is not connected to PC
Any idea what do these errors mean?
Advert
Old 10-01-2009, 06:38 AM   #6
igorsk
Wizard

You need to edit the script to enable "write mode" (which enables the um command). See details here.
Although I'm not sure if it will help seeing as even ls doesn't work...
Old 10-01-2009, 12:45 PM   #7
tmx

that finally worked! Reader restarted and came back to normal mode UsbOnlyReqProc() Sequence Error was still there so maybe that doesn't necessarily mean, that the communication between PC and Reader was broken.

I didn't have much time to start playing with Flashing again (hazardous soul), but UF2.1 gave me same error as the previous version. I'm going to go through all previous posts regarding your newest tool and will try again. Thanks!!
Old 10-01-2009, 04:05 PM   #8
igorsk
Wizard

What error?
Old 10-02-2009, 02:48 AM   #9
tmx

by using UF2.1 (actually after starting up in the Reader it displays v2.0) creating new image (pressing 5) goes smoothly, problem starts by flashing (6). That's the error msg:

Error while flashing partition! It is recommended to switch to recovery mode and use Sony flasher to flash a stock image.

I found similar problem here where you suggested that it might be a bad block in the flash.

I might also try to change fonts according to these instructions. Finally might stay with BD and LRFs.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:46 AM   #10
silentspoon
silentspoon began at the beginning.

Device: sony ereader prs500
Hi,

I am having a similar problem as the OP.
  • Latest Sony FW on the prs-500
  • Ran UF 2.1
  • Press 5 - success
  • Press 6 - failed (error while flashing partition)
  • Power off\on - Stuck at "Starting up"
  • Reset 10x - success
  • Screen at "Updating Firmware now..."
  • Cannot trick updater into enabling "Update" button
  • Ran ebook.py script - results:

C:\Users\me\Desktop>ebook.py um normal
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\me\Desktop\ebook.py", line 616, in <module>
b = Ebook()
File "C:\Users\me\Desktop\ebook.py", line 244, in __init__
self.dll = windll.ebookUsb
File "C:\Python26\lib\ctypes\__init__.py", line 423, in __getattr__
dll = self._dlltype(name)
File "C:\Python26\lib\ctypes\__init__.py", line 353, in __init__
self._handle = _dlopen(self._name, mode)
WindowsError: [Error 126] The specified module could not be found

I'm a perl guy. I don't know which modules I'm missing, nor how to install them. If anyone could help, I'd really appreciate it. Let me know if I'm on the right track in bringing my reader back to life.
silentspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:30 AM   #11
silentspoon
silentspoon began at the beginning.

Device: sony ereader prs500
I was able to run ebook.py from the ereader bin directory.
I received the same error the OP had:

But my reader restarted back to the frozen "Starting up..." screen.

Any ideas to try?
silentspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:03 AM   #12
misojogi
Enthusiast
misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS -500, Sony PRS505, Kindle3, Kindle DXG, Prestigio
I have got the same problem
I use Customiser with IgorskFlash 2.1
Nummer 5 is OK
Nummer 6 is bad (It can´t run )

Nummer 7 => Reader is briked
"Firmware update is not finished correctly. Please execute firmware update again."
When I conect USB cable
'Updating firmware now...'

i have PRS-500 Updater 1.0.03.07170.download
I can´t update (button is grey)

Last edited by misojogi; 06-22-2011 at 09:53 AM.
misojogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:54 PM   #13
misojogi
Enthusiast
misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS -500, Sony PRS505, Kindle3, Kindle DXG, Prestigio
I use script from CMD (windows cmd)

ebook.py um normal
i have python 2.6.3
script is in C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\bin

Script is in writing mode:
Quote:
#DO NOT change the following line if you don't know what you're doing
#overwriting files on the Reader is HIGHLY RISKY and might void your warranty
enableWriting = 1

def debug(msg):
#print >>sys.stderr, "[DEBUG]", msg
pass

Result?

script python has no conection into PRS500
On displey is Starting UP completly still
I can restart
to Starting UP

Have you any idee ?

:-(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( ((((((((((((((((
total frozing :-((((((((((((
evil mad :-(((((((((

Last edited by misojogi; 06-22-2011 at 06:03 PM.
misojogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:32 PM   #14
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
First, try another PC. Perhaps you will be luckier there, and the PC will see the Reader. If the PC flasher recognizes the Reader, you should be able to install the update.

Second, if you had the PRS-500 updated to the latest EPUB-supporting version (2.XXX), you probably will not be able to recover. You can still try, what have you got to lose.

Third, you can try using a serial port connection and burning the Fsk filesystem manually from the command prompt (you would have to get it on an SD card). Here is some info you may find useful. More (in Russian) here.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 06:17 PM   #15
wiktor
wiktor began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Third, you can try using a serial port connection and burning the Fsk filesystem manually from the command prompt (you would have to get it on an SD card). Here is some info you may find useful. More (in Russian) here.[/QUOTE]

Thank You so much! I get today my PRS-500 back to live after bad trip with Universal Flasher

It was fun to search all those pages in archive.org and translating from russian

I've soldered 3 thin wires (RX,TX,GND) and stick out of "universal connector" (this strange multiple pin port in the middle of bottom PRS-500). I have old cellphone USB CA-50 cable and I was shocked when my dead PRS-500 started speak to me by OSX terminal

Thank You for Your work on this subject.
wiktor is offline   Reply With Quote