Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-17-2016, 07:08 PM   #1
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Repeatable Sigil Bug

Well...at least it's repeatable. It might actually be a Qt bug, but I thought I'd mention it just in case it's something easily fixed.

Run a report and select Image Files from the left column.
--- If you have a list of images and one of those images is used "0" (zero) times, delete that image by highlighting it on the file list at the right and press the delete key then confirm the delete. The file name stays in the list although the image file itself is deleted.

--- If you then try and sort the list of files by clicking on one of the header columns then Sigil will crash... because it can't sort a file that isn't really there.

Of course the report can be "refreshed" or re-run which will remove the deleted filename from the list and avoid either of these issues... but, I figured it would be better if the program didn't crash in the first place.

(Windows 10, 64)

Merry Christmas!

edit: OH Look - I have exactly 1234 posts!!! I'm not going to post for at least a week now!!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:49 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I can confirm this bug for Windows 10 and Arch Linux.
(Since my Linux version was built with Qt 5.7.1, it's probably not a Qt issue.)

Last edited by Doitsu; 12-18-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2016, 11:42 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Just don't do that!

I kid (sort of). The Reports tool is intended to be run against a "current" snapshot of the epub. Changing the underlying epub will, of course, require that the Reports tool be rerun to account for what's changed.

It's definitely not a Qt issue. About the only thing we could do to prevent the crash would be to make the Reports dialog modal. Meaning you wouldn't be able to interact with the rest of Sigil until you dismissed the Reports dialog.

We'll take it under advisement. In the meantime ... just don't do that!
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 03:53 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
About the only thing we could do to prevent the crash would be to make the Reports dialog modal. Meaning you wouldn't be able to interact with the rest of Sigil until you dismissed the Reports dialog.
If there were a poll on that, I'd try to find a way to vote NO a thousand times.

I use a keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+Shift+R) to open and return focus to the Reports window. When the Reports window gets focus the Refresh button is the current control (i.e. its highlighted).

So, on returning focus to an already open Reports window I've always hit Enter to see the changes I just made reflected in the report - never occurred to me to do anything else.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 04:01 PM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
We could maybe force a refresh on the report widget getting focus again if we can tell the book as been modified in between in that piece of code.

KevinH
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2016, 04:28 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I admit I've not spent much time at all in the Reports code ... but what about making the entire Reports tool/widget operate on a temporary copy of the current content? One that's unaffected by any underlying modifications until the widget is refreshed or run again (at which time a new temporary copy of the content is created)?
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:10 PM   #7
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I certainly would not like the window to be modal, either... too much functionality would be lost.

Is there a way to simply refresh the file list without rerunning the entire report after a file is deleted?
Old 12-19-2016, 02:18 PM   #8
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just committed a fix for this to the Sigil master.

Thanks for the bug report!
Old 12-19-2016, 07:40 PM   #9
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

You're Awesome - Thanks!!
Old 12-20-2016, 08:43 AM   #10
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Fyi, the only segfault fixed is with right clicking to delete an image inside the reports widget. Since that dialog is not modal. A user can still have focus outside the reports widget and and create a problem by deleting an image. I am still working on that. Their really is no easy way to handle it in a non-modal manner without either always rebuilding on focus gained or always rebuilding before any sort operation.

So the bigger issue still remains, I just fixed the specific issue you described.

KevinH