Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 05-06-2019, 11:37 AM   #1
actnuz
actnuz began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Marvin 3 incompatible with iPhone X?

Just got my iPhone X and I am considering getting Marvin 3. However, it seems like it’s not compatible with the iPhone X series. See the attached photo. The header is mostly blocked by the notch. Does the paid full version have the same problem? I don’t want to waste my money. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8736x.jpg
Views:	733
Size:	455.1 KB
ID:	171328  
actnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:30 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Yep. It has a notch. It was last updated to add support for the 2017 iPad Pro 10.5. No updates since.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:03 PM   #3
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I have the iPhone X and Marvin 3. Yes there is a notch...but I have turned off the header/footer - I don't like having distractions while I read and all that info is available with a single tap if I want it.

If you read in portrait mode you can set Marvin to vertical scroll instead of paginate - no issues.

If you read in landscape mode, as I do, then just set the margins so the letters don't go into the notched area.

Badda-bing-badda-boom!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:22 PM   #4
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I don’t expect Marvin to ever be updated again. Support seems to have completely stopped, which is a shame.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:33 AM   #5
actnuz
actnuz began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Thanks for the confirmation. I won't spend my money on this abandonware then.
actnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:03 AM   #6
legueil
legueil began at the beginning.

Device: iDevice
It IS a shame. It is/was the best reader out there.
legueil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:40 AM   #7
Mtnguy321
Mtnguy321 doesn't litterMtnguy321 doesn't litter

Device: Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by actnuz View Post
Just got my iPhone X and I am considering getting Marvin 3. However, it seems like it’s not compatible with the iPhone X series. See the attached photo. The header is mostly blocked by the notch. Does the paid full version have the same problem? I don’t want to waste my money. Thanks!
I have an iPhone XS and read with Marvin everyday on it. I find no problems.
Mtnguy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:24 PM   #8
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnguy321 View Post
I have an iPhone XS and read with Marvin everyday on it. I find no problems.
That's what I said earlier... It works great. Just because it hasn't been updated in a while doesn't mean it doesn't work really well. And I still haven't seen anything that can match it - let alone beat it. Sooooo, think twice before spending your money on other software that is being updated that still doesn't do as well as Marvin.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:53 PM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
That's what I said earlier... It works great. Just because it hasn't been updated in a while doesn't mean it doesn't work really well. And I still haven't seen anything that can match it - let alone beat it. Sooooo, think twice before spending your money on other software that is being updated that still doesn't do as well as Marvin.
I think it's rational to not start using an app because it appears to be abandoned ware. I like marvin and have been using it for years, but one of the things that I look at when trying to decide on buying an app is when was the last time it was updated.

Now, the flip side is that the developer has taken lengthy breaks and come back with updates in the past, so I wouldn't totally write off Marvin. He did update it a year ago.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:07 AM   #10
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I think it's rational to not start using an app because it appears to be abandoned ware. I like marvin and have been using it for years, but one of the things that I look at when trying to decide on buying an app is when was the last time it was updated.

Now, the flip side is that the developer has taken lengthy breaks and come back with updates in the past, so I wouldn't totally write off Marvin. He did update it a year ago.
I would totally agree with not starting to use Marvin - IF there was something even comparable out there to replace it. Obviously 'comparable' is in the eye of the beholder. But I haven't found any other app that is nearly as good, with the functionality of Marvin.

If there was some critical 'break' that made Marvin non-functional, that would be a different story. I don't rate the notch in iPhone X in that category - especially with such an easy workaround.

To each, their own.

...and, you are right...Kris does come back and surprise every once in a while!
Old 05-15-2019, 09:54 AM   #11
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If there was some critical 'break' that made Marvin non-functional, that would be a different story. I don't rate the notch in iPhone X in that category - especially with such an easy workaround.

To each, their own.
Lol, meanwhile, the notch would bother me alot. If I read light text on dark background it wouldn't bother me. However, I find dark text on light background (sepia) with brightness set to very low (sometimes with Reduce White Point set to 60-80% as well) much more comfortable for my eyes and I find the notch to be a major distraction.

That said, Marvin's still my favorite reader so I actually buy devices based on display sizes and resolution that are supported by Marvin. On the upside, no FaceID means less expensive devices.

But yeah, when Dropbox support broke, Kris patched that up quickly. I think he probably bought an iPad Pro 10.5 himself hence why that was supported.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 05-15-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:29 AM   #12
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyvander View Post
...We have to find other alternatives because there will be no more updates at all, if they didn't launch any since 2017.
Ummmmm.....ok.....

1) Welcome to MR!

2) This is a 2 year old post you are responding to

3) The "notch" is a hardware design issue by apple...the other apps have the exact same problems dealing with it...they don't... to my knowledge there isn't a css style that would change the correct margin of just those lines as they pass the notch... so changing the margin all the time is the only work around.

4) Light colors on dark background vs. dark letters on light background is a preference...neither of which is wrong. I use both based on the conditions. Marvin does an excellent job of allowing the user to set the reading environment to their preferences...or none at all...

5) We don't have to find other alternatives just because there hasn't been an update in a while. Which is better: A piece of software that works, and works very well, but hasn't been updated, or A piece of software that gets updated every week but is so buggy that it's almost unusable?? Rate software based on it's qualities, not JUST on the last time a patch was released.

6) If you wish to advertise for other reading software, please do so in the correct forum... it's considered a little rude to do so in another software's forum.

Cheers!

Last edited by Turtle91; 06-21-2021 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:45 AM   #13
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
6) If you wish to advertise for other reading software, please do so in the correct forum... it's considered a little rude to do so in another software's forum.
I dunno. I think that post was just from a pretty sophisticated bot.

HEIC is an image format so it doesn't even have anything to do with ebooks.
Old 06-21-2021, 07:14 PM   #14
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I dunno. I think that post was just from a pretty sophisticated bot.

HEIC is an image format so it doesn't even have anything to do with ebooks.

thanks...