Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-18-2018, 11:11 AM   #1
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
iOS 12 official release seems to work well

Just FYI: Yesterday I installed iOS 12 official release on my iPhone 7 and iPad Pro 9.7". So far no issues at all. Not a whole lot of new stuff from iOS 11, but supposedly more stable and better performance. Too early to judge that, but at least the performance didn't go down. I'm just finished installing iOS 12 on my old iPad Mini 2. Installing iOS 11 on the mini iPad Mini 2 was a mistake because it definitely degraded performance very noticeably from that of iOS 10, so I hope iOS 12 will improve performance a bit.

Unrelated, but it looks like I'm going to have to pass on Mojave for my MBP as it can do ugly things to 32-bit apps, and unfortunately I have several of them installed including the Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 suite. BTW, you can determine which of your Mac apps are 32-bit by doing this:
  1. Click the Apple icon in the upper-left of the screen, select About this Mac.
  2. In the About this Mac popup, click the System Report... button.
  3. In the System Report... window, click Software -> Applications. (This will eventually display a list of apps, but it will take a while to generate it, so be patient.)

In the System Report... window, the last column named 64-Bit will indicate which apps are 64-bit and which are not. If it says "Yes" in that column, then it is 64-bit. No means that it is a 32-bit app and there might be issues running those in Mojave. You can sort that column clicking on the name "64-Bit" then scroll down to view all the "No" apps. Personally, I have too many 32-bit apps to risk using Mojave.

Last edited by OtinG; 09-18-2018 at 11:17 AM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:55 PM   #2
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Why? Just why? WHY DID THEY NEED TO SWITCH THESE?

They didn’t even do it consistently... it’s still the other way around on my iPhone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EEE2789A-8DF4-4AA8-BCCD-9B33CCA4B028.jpeg
Views:	201
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	166384  
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2018, 09:24 AM   #3
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do like the improvements to Siri. For instance I can now adjust the time (or name) of an alarm just with my voice.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:28 AM   #4
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
... Not a whole lot of new stuff from iOS 11, but supposedly more stable and better performance. Too early to judge that, but at least the performance didn't go down. I'm just finished installing iOS 12 on my old iPad Mini 2. Installing iOS 11 on the mini iPad Mini 2 was a mistake because it definitely degraded performance very noticeably from that of iOS 10, so I hope iOS 12 will improve performance a bit. ...
I didn't install iOS 11 because "all was good" with iOS 10 on my Mini 4. When the dust settles on your iOS 12 installation, please holler back if you see any performance improvement on your Mini 2.

In your opinion, if iOS 11 had not degraded performance on your Mini, did you see any new features that were worth the upgrade from iOS 10? Having been burned in the past with Windows OS "improvements", I'm gun-shy of all OS improvements, including those from Apple.

Thanks,
Marty
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:05 AM   #5
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyTX View Post
I didn't install iOS 11 because "all was good" with iOS 10 on my Mini 4. When the dust settles on your iOS 12 installation, please holler back if you see any performance improvement on your Mini 2.

In your opinion, if iOS 11 had not degraded performance on your Mini, did you see any new features that were worth the upgrade from iOS 10? Having been burned in the past with Windows OS "improvements", I'm gun-shy of all OS improvements, including those from Apple.

Thanks,
Marty
Well...to be honest, and this is somewhat embarrassing, I cannot really remember exactly which feature prompted me to upgrade from iOS 10 to iOS 11. Geez, all the updates for iOS and Mac OS X over the past couple of years have become a huge blur in my 60 year old brain! I know I upgraded from Sierra (MBP mid 2014) and el Capitan (or possibly a kitty cat, Mac Mini late 2012) for the new Apple File System (APFS) because the old file system was way outdated. Plus I needed to upgrade the version on my Mac Mini so I could install a dual boot system with Win 10 via Boot Camp. But I cannot remember why I updated my iPhone 7, iPad Mini 2, and iPad Pro 9.7" to iOS 11, but it might have been for the File app or hoping to get better battery management. I think my old iPhone 5 is still using iOS 10, but it sits on a shelf and is kept just for a backup in case the iPhone 7 gets lost, stollen, or just breaks.

I'll let you know how iOS 12 works out on the iPad Mini 2. I don't use it much, but it definitely slowed down under iOS 11 and iOS 12 is suppose to boost the performance a bit, so I installed it. I don't have battery issues with either of my iPads, but my iPhone 7 drains fairly fast because it has a smaller battery. I was used to a 6+ previous to it, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with thinking the 7 drains fast as the 6+ had a much bigger battery. So far the iPhone 7 and iPad Pro 9.7" are working well with iOS 12. I haven't noticed any great performance improvements, but at least the performance didn't degrade like it usually does with a newer iOS. Too early to see if the iPhone batter management is any better. But there were no issues with any of the three installs yesterday, and so far it has been all good.

ETA: I think I just remembered another reason which might have prompted me to upgrade to iOS 11 and High Sierra. I think those updated OSes were the ones that added better cross compatibility and syncing capabilities between my Macs and iThingies. I was a bit disappointed in that regard though as it isn't as good as it should be. I think Messages should update across all devices including Macs and iThingies, but it isn't all that reliable yet and deleted conversations on one device dont usually get deleted from the Mac's Messages app. Frustrating that Apple cannot get that right...

Last edited by OtinG; 09-19-2018 at 11:11 AM.
Advert
Old 09-19-2018, 11:11 AM   #6
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela

FWIW, the key feature of iOS 11 for the iPad was the fact that it massively overhauled its multitasking interface.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:14 AM   #7
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
I would imagine it was the fact that iOS 11 massively overhauled the iPad’s multitasking interface.
Good point. I couldn't remember if that was in iOS 10 or iOS 11. I rarely use the multitasking though, but I do occasionally use it on my iPad Pro 9.7".
Old 09-19-2018, 11:20 AM   #8
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

This is unrelated to iOS 12 per se, but one of the gestures used in iOS really bothers me a lot. I'm left handed and so I hold the iPad with my left thumb clamping down on the left side bezel or the bottom bezel if in landscape. I use my thumb the scroll up and down and load the next page or previous page. Occasionally I accidentally flick my thumb to the right thinking I'm going to go to a previous page, but instead the app closes and is replaced by the app I was running previously. Or it stays in the app when it is the News app, but closes the news article I was trying to read. Then I have to go search for the article again to finish reading it. I wish there was a way to turn or at least modify that gesture so I can stop accidentally closing articles and/or app.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:47 AM   #9
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

I have found one little glitch in iOS 12, but it is probably the fault of the App developer not iOS 12. I use the Kasa app to control several of their home devices, mostly LED light bulbs. It has always been a portrait only app on both the iPhone and iPad, and it has just scaled up the iPad version rather than having code specifically to take advantage of the larger screens. Under iOS 11 it worked and looked okay. Under iOS 12 it still works okay, maybe just a little quirky though, but it no longer scales up the app to fill the iPad screen. It reminds of when the iPads were first released and most of the apps were not yet written specifically for them. So now I'm getting letter-boxing around the app screen when using it on an iPad (see attached image). So far this is the only glitch I've encountered in iOS 12 and I'm reasonably sure that it is due to poor coding by the app developer rather than an iOS 12 issue.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	iOS12-iPad-glitch.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	338.2 KB
ID:	166390  
Old 09-19-2018, 12:14 PM   #10
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela

Speaking of glitches, here’s one I found...

It’s not just pages. My keyboard is behaving this way throughout the OS.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:52 PM   #11
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Speaking of glitches, here’s one I found...

It’s not just pages. My keyboard is behaving this way throughout the OS.
I tried to duplicate this on my iPhone 7 and iPad Mini 2 without success. My setups seem to work okay. Do you have some sort of Accessibility option turned ON? Maybe some other settings option is different from my setups.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:58 PM   #12
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Cool new function for Pages and Numbers (maybe Keynote)

For iPad only: I was trying to long hold my finger on my Numbers app icon on my iPad Mini 2 so I could drag it to different position on the screen when I got this miniature popup window that allows me to select from the 4 most recently opened documents. (See attachment.) If you press Show More option it displays the last 12 documents opened. That is kind of cool and a bit of a time saver. I had not read or heard about this new feature so I was pleasantly surprised. It works for Pages and Numbers. I don't have Keynote installed, but I assume it works for that too.

Just to reiterate, pressing your finger on Files, Pages, Numbers, and probably Keynote for one second displays a popup with the most recent documents that were opened:
  • Show Less displays the 4 most recent documents opened
  • Show More displays the 12 most recent documents opened

ETA: This also works for the Files app icon. I haven't found any others yet. Also it doesn't work on my iPhone 7, only my iPads. If someone has a iPhone Plus model or one of the X models please let us know if it works on them.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	iOS12-new-Numbers-function.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	761.6 KB
ID:	166396  

Last edited by OtinG; 09-19-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:06 PM   #13
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela

Quote:
I tried to duplicate this on my iPhone 7 and iPad Mini 2 without success. My setups seem to work okay. Do you have some sort of Accessibility option turned ON? Maybe some other settings option is different from my setups.
No accessibility. The only thing different maybe is the fact that I have a bunch of keyboards enabled for different things. Well, and this is an iPad Pro 10”.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:08 PM   #14
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela

Quote:
For iPad only: I was trying to long hold my finger on my Numbers app icon on my iPad Mini 2 so I could drag it to different position on the screen when I got this miniature popup window that allows me to select from the 4 most recently opened documents. (See attachment.) If you press Show More option it displays the last 12 documents opened. That is kind of cool and a bit of a time saver. I had not read or heard about this new feature so I was pleasantly surprised. It works for Pages and Numbers. I don't have Keynote installed, but I assume it works for that too.

Just to reiterate, pressing your finger on Files, Pages, Numbers, and probably Keynote for one second displays a popup with the most recent documents that were opened:
  • Show Less displays the 4 most recent documents opened
  • Show More displays the 12 most recent documents opened

ETA: This also works for the Files app icon. I haven't found any others yet. Also it doesn't work on my iPhone 7, only my iPads. If someone has a iPhone Plus model or one of the X models please let us know if it works on them.

That was actually in iOS 11. Though Apple may have just implemented it into their iWork suite, im not sure. Google Drive also supports it, and a bunch of other third party apps like Procreate and Word.

Unfortunately it’s still not supported on the plus phones. (Though 3D touching the Files app will pull up a widget showing your last viewed files)

Last edited by Dylrob; 09-19-2018 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:32 PM   #15
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Good overview of new features.

Web: https://www.relay.fm/clockwise

App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/app/apple-s...736&ct=Podcast
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote