Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-29-2017, 08:08 AM   #676
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post

I looked myself and was almost willing to learn a new bag of tricks, if it wasn't for the inability to read KU books on a non Amazon eink device.
Can't the DRM tools be used on KU books?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:50 AM   #677
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Of course they can, but it is the same as pirating the book. Since I am already paying for the service, I can make sure the money I am paying goes to the author. Amazon would not pay anything to the author unless they seen me read the book.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2017, 10:33 AM   #678
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Of course they can ...
Thanks.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:30 PM   #679
Pamelala
Pamelala began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad Pro, Kindle Oasis 2
Click image for larger version

Name:	fyplzc.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	161093
Click image for larger version

Name:	2m7jj2x.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	161094

I have received my second Oasis. The images show that there is a difference in lighting between the 2 devices (one is more yellowish. Hope you can see it in the picture. In real life you can see it right away).

Last edited by pdurrant; 12-31-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Pamelala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:22 PM   #680
gal_amy
Connoisseur
gal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: iPad 9.7, iPad 10.5, Kindle HDX, iPhone6, iPhone7, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamelala View Post

I have received my second Oasis. The images show that there is a difference in lighting between the 2 devices (one is more yellowish. Hope you can see it in the picture. In real life you can see it right away).
Which one are you keeping?
gal_amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2017, 04:06 AM   #681
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
If you knew that, why didn't you go for a Kobo Aura One instead of new Oasis? Sounds like it would be your dream device for text based books.

I looked myself and was almost willing to learn a new bag of tricks, if it wasn't for the inability to read KU books on a non Amazon eink device.
For me, I have about 600 books on Amazon (I have prime), that I wanted to copy to my new device.
Figured I stay with Amazon, despite the issues I'm currently having with my current device.
Maybe my next device will be a totally different one.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 04:07 AM   #682
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Thank you Pamela.
Spreek je Nederlands?
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:11 AM   #683
Pamelala
Pamelala began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad Pro, Kindle Oasis 2
@gal_amy I am not sure yet. Want to try the new (refurbished) one out for a couple of days. But I noticed that the buttons seem to respond better on the new one.

@Prodigit Jaja, gezellig zo in het Nederlands ;-)

Last edited by Pamelala; 12-30-2017 at 06:30 AM.
Pamelala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:35 AM   #684
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Not sure they can. I know they don't work on rentals. Anyway, as Duckie said, not cool to do because it would be stealing from authors.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:57 AM   #685
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Not sure they can. ...
I've been informed that the tools do work on KU books.

Edit: and it is a couple of posts back in this thread.
Quote:
... I know they don't work on rentals. ...
What do you mean by rentals?

Last edited by John F; 12-30-2017 at 08:09 AM.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:22 PM   #686
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Anyway, as Duckie said, not cool to do because it would be stealing from authors.
I'm confused. How is using the tools to remove DRM from a book so that you can read it on another device 'stealing from authors' if you already paid for the book?
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:37 PM   #687
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
I'm confused. How is using the tools to remove DRM from a book so that you can read it on another device 'stealing from authors' if you already paid for the book?
This is a case where you have paid to read the book, but have not paid to own a copy permanently.

In Kindle Unlimited authors are paid monthly by the number of pages read. The Kindle software keeps track of this information. If you export the book to another platform and read it there then the author receives no credit for you having read that book.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:45 PM   #688
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
What do you mean by rentals?
Amazon allows some textbooks to be rented for a limited time at a much lower price than purchasing the book. DRM is used to prevent those books from being accessed beyond the end of the rental period.

This is different from library book loans, where the user is not charged.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:47 PM   #689
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
This is a case where you have paid to read the book, but have not paid to own a copy permanently.

In Kindle Unlimited authors are paid monthly by the number of pages read. The Kindle software keeps track of this information. If you export the book to another platform and read it there then the author receives no credit for you having read that book.
Ah, I didn't realize the discussion was about KU books.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 04:29 PM   #690
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
Ah, I didn't realize the discussion was about KU books.
I suggested a Kobo Aura One to ProDigit as it looks like it would have all he wants in an ereader. Unfortunately I excluded it for myself for the inability to read KU correctly.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote