Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-08-2018, 03:09 PM   #1
mysernameisalrea
mysernameisalrea began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Add ZIP and RAR formats to book

Hi,

I've got some ZIP and RAR files that have compressed .epub versions of some books in my Calibre library. I like to keep these compressed files as backup incase the .epub file gets corrupted. When I try to add the compressed file to my books, it appears that Calibre is automatically extracting the contents of the compressed file.

What I'd like is that in the Edit Metadata window, the small box on the right that shows the various formats of the book, for it to show EPUB, MOBI and ZIP/RAR.

If I try to add a compressed file that has MULTIPLE formats inside (i.e. the compressed file contains the EPUB and MOBI versions of the book) then Calibre does add RAR or ZIP as a format in the "Formats" column. But if the compressed file only contains a single format, Calibre just automatically extracts it and the compressed file isn't listed in the "Formats" column.

Is there a way to force Calibre to show the ZIP and/or RAR file in the "Formats" column even if the compressed file only contains a single format?

Thanks in advance.
mysernameisalrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:02 PM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Export your format to disk, then rename it by adding .bak after the file type.zip
example:
Code:
Kristine Kathryn Rusch Diving Into the Wreck.epub.bak
Then zip or rar it, drag and drop it into the Book Details panel for that book or go to Add books and use Add file to selected book records.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-08-08 17-01-12.png
Views:	121
Size:	794.1 KB
ID:	165495
bernie
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysernameisalrea View Post
Hi,

I've got some ZIP and RAR files that have compressed .epub versions of some books in my Calibre library. I like to keep these compressed files as backup incase the .epub file gets corrupted. When I try to add the compressed file to my books, it appears that Calibre is automatically extracting the contents of the compressed file.

What I'd like is that in the Edit Metadata window, the small box on the right that shows the various formats of the book, for it to show EPUB, MOBI and ZIP/RAR.

If I try to add a compressed file that has MULTIPLE formats inside (i.e. the compressed file contains the EPUB and MOBI versions of the book) then Calibre does add RAR or ZIP as a format in the "Formats" column. But if the compressed file only contains a single format, Calibre just automatically extracts it and the compressed file isn't listed in the "Formats" column.

Is there a way to force Calibre to show the ZIP and/or RAR file in the "Formats" column even if the compressed file only contains a single format?

Thanks in advance.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:11 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@mysernameisalrea - because an ePub is already compressed (zipped) - except for the mimetype file - compressing an ePub won't buy you much disk space.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:56 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@mysernameisalrea - because an ePub is already compressed (zipped) - except for the mimetype file - compressing an ePub won't buy you much disk space.

BR
The last time I tested compressing 14 epubs I was sending back to the author after doing some cleanup and proofreading, the total savings on 14 separate compressed files was ~13KB. If I compressed all 14 files into a single archive, I got the following results using 7Zip:
Code:
Zip (Ultra, deflate64) 10,219,633 bytes
7z (Ultra, lzma2)       9,848,355 bytes
Zip (store only)       10,251,096 bytes
If I didn't use 7Zip's maximum compression settings, the savings were even less. A couple of cases such as zip format, normal compression, LZMA actually used more space than the store only option.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:03 AM   #5
mysernameisalrea
mysernameisalrea began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Ahh, okay. I didn't realize that .epub was already a type of compressed file. Now I understand what Calibre is doing.

I'm not using the compressed zip/rar files as a means to save space-- that's just how I got them, so I'm saving them as a backup. As such, thanks @gbm for suggesting I append ".bak" to my these compression files. I'll do that.
mysernameisalrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:17 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Ahh, okay. I didn't realize that .epub was already a type of compressed file. Now I understand what Calibre is doing
epub is actually a zip file that has specific file structure internally. You can see this by changing the extension of such a file from .epub to .zip and then opening it in your favourite zip file handler.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:05 AM   #7
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
epub is actually a zip file that has specific file structure internally. You can see this by changing the extension of such a file from .epub to .zip and then opening it in your favourite zip file handler.
Or use calibre "unpack book" to do the same thing.
I use to do that a lot, but the editor does so much now that it's been a while...
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:55 AM   #8
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Keeping your backup files in the same folders as the originals rather defeats the purpose of a backup. Better to keep a backup copy of your libraries on separate media, like a file share or external hard drive.
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:12 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Ahh, okay. I didn't realize that .epub was already a type of compressed file. Now I understand what Calibre is doing.

I'm not using the compressed zip/rar files as a means to save space-- that's just how I got them, so I'm saving them as a backup. As such, thanks @gbm for suggesting I append ".bak" to my these compression files. I'll do that.
I'd suggest not worrying about the filename and storing in your calibre library. I keep my backups on external hard drives and in the cloud since having backups on the same computer as the originals is no protection from a hard drive failing, data corruption, getting hit by ransomware or whatever other bits of paranoia I come up with in the middle of the night.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote