Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-08-2006, 07:24 PM   #31
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Easy to move around. I'm the same way and did not have a problem.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 07:54 PM   #32
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Cool, thanks Greg. Might have to take a trip to Brookstone...
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2006, 10:26 AM   #33
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I picked up the beanbag light last night in the store. It is smaller than I expected, about the size of the palm of your hand. It works well. The light is *very* bright when looked at directly. On the reader I had to point the light slight to one side so the brightest spot was not reflecting back at me from the screen. The little chrome Sony at the top of the reader I had to make sure didn't reflect also. The bottom is a nice non-slip rubber and stays where you put it. I used it mostly on my pillow.

All in all a good bedroom booklight that works for me, I don't see any reason to keep looking. The small complaints I have with the reflections are probably issues with all booklights until a lightwedge type device.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:38 PM   #34
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Can anybody that has a Sony Reader tell me if the cover on the back of the reader allows you to fix a standard clip-on booklight that was intended for a real book? I like the I-Sight very much but I'm trying to find the perfect light.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:52 PM   #35
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The one they showed us in San Diego was clipped to the cover, so yeah, you can do that. The only fixed contact between the cover and the Reader is that round thing in the middle of the back of the Reader.

They were clipping it to front and back cover both, to keep them together.

In my own experiments, I've found that clips where the end of the clippy part itself turned up made me worry about scratching the Reader housing or the other part of the cover, so you may want to consider that.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2006, 05:31 PM   #36
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
The one they showed us in San Diego was clipped to the cover, so yeah, you can do that. The only fixed contact between the cover and the Reader is that round thing in the middle of the back of the Reader.

They were clipping it to front and back cover both, to keep them together.

In my own experiments, I've found that clips where the end of the clippy part itself turned up made me worry about scratching the Reader housing or the other part of the cover, so you may want to consider that.
Good point NatCh! I will try to look for something that doesn't have the end going up and it has to be a plastic clip. If I find something I will post it here.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:42 PM   #37
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Does anybody know how thick the clip on the light can be to fit between the reader and the cover?
Old 10-12-2006, 05:19 PM   #38
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The one they had was pretty thick ... 1/8" maybe. The stock cover is pretty flexible, I don't think you'll have a problem on that score.

Last edited by NatCh; 10-12-2006 at 05:19 PM. Reason: corrected 3/8 to 1/8!
Old 10-12-2006, 05:22 PM   #39
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

What do you guys think of this:

1 Led booklight from: Great Point Light for $5,99
Runs on two CR2032 batteries for 30 hours.

2 Led booklight from: Great Point Light for $7,99
Runs on two CR2450 batteries for 30 hours.

3 Led booklight from: Great Point Light for $14,99
Runs on two CR2450 batteries for 30 hours and has two light levels.

4 Led rechargeable booklight from: Great Point Light for $34,99
Runs on two rechargeable LIR2450 batteries for 30 hours and an AC adapter is included. I don't know if the adapter is also suitable for 230VAC. This one also has two light levels.

I like these lights because the clip is very thin, straight and made out of plastic. This is good because it won't damage or scratch the backside of your reader as far as I can tell.

So what do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1led-maingroup.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	1800   Click image for larger version

Name:	2ledb-main.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	1801   Click image for larger version

Name:	gpl-3led-main.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	1802   Click image for larger version

Name:	product-relight-silos.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	1803  
Old 10-12-2006, 05:33 PM   #40
NatCh
Gizmologist

I went into B&N and sat on the floor and tried a bunch of lights. I didn't find any there I liked the light patterns on. These look similar enough that I'd want to try them before I bought anything.

The light Sony showed us in San Diego had a pretty good light pattern.

I think it's getting on to time for me to run by Hobby Lobby and pick up some of those cheap acrylic picture frames and have a go at making my own lightwedge-oid light. Maybe Saturday....
Old 10-12-2006, 06:18 PM   #41
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

I ordered the 3 Led light and hope it will be good. It's made by LightWedge LLC so I expect a good book light. :P

When I received it I will make some pictures.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:19 PM   #42
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I have the 3 led one (branded "Design GO", but looks exactly the same). It's usable, but not too great:
1) The clip gap is too narrow for the thickness of Reader's cover, it cannot go all the way.
2) The "low" light level is still quite bright
3) It's sort of hard to position so that you don't get reflection right in your eyes. You have to direct the beam at the top of Reader and the bottom half gets less light.

Last edited by igorsk; 10-12-2006 at 08:21 PM. Reason: spelling
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 01:46 AM   #43
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk
I have the 3 led one (branded "Design GO", but looks exactly the same). It's usable, but not too great:
1) The clip gap is too narrow for the thickness of Reader's cover, it cannot go all the way.
2) The "low" light level is still quite bright
3) It's sort of hard to position so that you don't get reflection right in your eyes. You have to direct the beam at the top of Reader and the bottom half gets less light.

I already ordered it. The dim level is something I will modify and for the rest I will see. If I really don't like it I will give it to my girlfriend because she reads real books made of paper. :P
Old 10-13-2006, 06:06 AM   #44
hkabir
e-bookviner
hkabir began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPodTouch
I got a book light that has a clip. It's Energizer Trim Flex Led. It has one led bulb, uses two CR2032 batteries, and runs over 30 hours. The clip is actually plastic grip so there is no reason to worry about any scratch on the upper edge of the Reader. I'll post some pictures tomorrow.
hkabir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:02 AM   #45
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL
...real books made of paper.
That is a base slander! Who says books have to be made of paper to be real?!?