Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-14-2018, 05:31 PM   #1
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Lightbulb Aren't Kobo eReader designs a little boring?

I was looking at the latest Onyx releases yesterday. I couldn't help noticing how similar they looked to all other Kindle competitors out there. Kobo devices are just as unremarkable. When the eReader scene was new, every device looked distinct. Now, except for the Kindle Oasis, they don't. This was due to the mechanical nature of the early eReaders. Now that everything is touch sensitive, even iPads have a sameness about them.

It's true that my KA1 LE feels very different to hold when compared to my Paperwhite, and the Kindle Voyage, Oasis, and new Nook have page turn buttons, but visually they're mostly all black rectangles, even the Oasis. Most visual differentiation between brands is in the back of the device.

What would you like to see in future Kobo designs to help them stand out from the crowd? Are features the only things that matter? Is there something else they can add to the design aside from color?
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:36 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
The Apple iPhone X has a very distinctive (but imho ugly) notch. If that's the type of visual differentiation we'll see, I'd rather stick to boring.

I don't think I'd like to see them go completely bezel-less either. Given e-readers tend to be wider and heavier than phones, the bezels serve as palm rest when holding.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2018, 04:30 AM   #3
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I personally think Kobo's designs were unique and very attractive. The backs of the devices especially are really something... up until the Aura One when they unified everything under their new "blue button" style. I find that design rather generic and tacky.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:20 AM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post

What would you like to see in future Kobo designs to help them stand out from the crowd? Are features the only things that matter? Is there something else they can add to the design aside from color?
I don't really care how it looks. . I do find it interesting that every reader seems to come out with a different rear material/ texture/feel, I would think that they would standardize this.

For me, I would like to see a reliable reading experience; one annoying thing now is that I don't get a reliable page turn.

And I would like Bluetooth remote page turning.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:25 AM   #5
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
I don't particularly care. I want to read on my devices, not look at them. Whatever gives a good reading experience is fine by me.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2018, 11:40 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
I don't particularly care. I want to read on my devices, not look at them. Whatever gives a good reading experience is fine by me.
I agree. But I do draw the line at pink.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:43 PM   #7
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I agree. But I do draw the line at pink.
But I want a pink ereader, like Sony PRS-350. Imagine, a pink lighted 5" Kobo
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:43 PM   #8
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
It's a screen in a plastic box, making it "interesting" will most likely just make it worse.
I care about the books I read, not my reader as a fashion accessory.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:04 PM   #9
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abtacha View Post
It's a screen in a plastic box, making it "interesting" will most likely just make it worse.
Well said.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:04 PM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Yes, please! I want one!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:00 PM   #11
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
I have three Pocketbook devices. They all look very different, in colour, size, design.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:46 AM   #12
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
The Apple iPhone X has a very distinctive (but imho ugly) notch. If that's the type of visual differentiation we'll see, I'd rather stick to boring.

I don't think I'd like to see them go completely bezel-less either. Given e-readers tend to be wider and heavier than phones, the bezels serve as palm rest when holding.
That iPhone X notch is a case of function over form. For now, all those cameras that do facial recognition require the landscape.

I'm not thinking bezel-less. You're right. The bezels give us a place to hold. But do they all have to be boring?
Old 04-16-2018, 06:49 AM   #13
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abtacha View Post
I disagree. Creative designs help in marketing the device. If they all look the same as they do now, then how do they stand out? What sets Kobo apart to the Walmart consumer who doesn't understand or care about comparative specs? What quickens the pulse and catches the eye when Kindles and Kobos are identical from a distance?
Old 04-16-2018, 06:54 AM   #14
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOne View Post
I have three Pocketbook devices. They all look very different, in colour, size, design.
Thanks for pointing that out. The Touch HD 2 and the Touch Lux 3 have distinctive case designs. Design-wise, they rock the page turning buttons. Imagine if the Kobo Clara HD was red with a charcoal gray logo. It would look distinctive.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:59 AM   #15
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
A pink Mini 2 would have been a big hit with my girls years ago. We got a white Mini with a rose back, but then we put it in a case, and bye-bye rose back! Still, the mini format was more welcoming to them than my Kindle. Several daughters got use out of it. My youngest fell in love with it. We only replaced it when it couldn't borrow books from the library like my KA1. Features do matter. My girl absolutely LOVES borrowing from the library whenever she pleases.

Tags
ipad, kindle, kobo, nook, onyx