Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Does exclusive content make a difference to you?
Not really. 45 83.33%
Somewhat. 4 7.41%
Absolutely. 5 9.26%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2008, 05:03 AM   #16
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
I found Obama's but not McCain... is it available now?
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:18 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
I know with every exclusive deal amazon lands, the less interested I am in buying any books from amazon. if it gets too out of control at a certain point the pirates are going to become more motivated to crack the Kindle format. Right now with people able to buy most ebooks from stores online there is less incentive for people to crack the Kindle format, but at a certain point I'm afraid they'll go too far.
Kindle AZW is just a slightly modified Mobipocket format and MobiDeDRM.py will remove the DRM and at that point, it will be a standard Mobipocket eBook with no DRM. It's the AZW1/TPZ (Topaz) format that's not yet crackable. Amazon however does not allow anyone without a Kindle to purchase eBook from there. That's why there is no desktop viewer for Kindle eBooks so nobody but a Kindle owner would have need for them. Basically, Amazon is tying you to the Kindle and when they get exclusive content, it's a sort of blackmail saying if you want this, you have to buy the Kindle. Even Sony allows you to read their content under Windows with eBook Library so even if you don't have a Reader, you can still read if you want.

I would dearly love to ask Mrs. Obama and Mrs. McCain about this and see what it is they have to say when it's explained what this exclusivity is doing. How they answer and what they do, would say a lot about them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2008, 07:31 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Contact Us

Corporate Headquarters

246 Goose Lane
P.O. Box 480
Guilford, CT 06437

Main Phone Number: (203) 458-4500

Customer Service Phone: 1-888-249-7586
Customer Service Fax: 1-800-820-2329

General Email: info@globepequot.com
Please contact Global Pequot Press and tell them how you feel about this exclusivity. Let them know what they are doing is wrong. It will maybe not change anything for these eBooks, but maybe they'll never do it again.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:48 AM   #19
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
I don't think the ladies had any say in it.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:19 PM   #20
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Way for the Obama's to go... if he doesn't win the election at least they have a short-term cash-cow to bring in some extra income!

That was semi-OT, but back to the topic: I personally don't care for exclusive content, it is actually annoying and pretty much entices rippers as a nice target to pirate. Outside of the book world, I hate exclusive content with video games too. Most game design firms have shied away from this recently and jumped ship from being locked into one console, but there are still "exclusive" content for each system with a specific game. Check out the recently released Soul Caliber IV, same game but with a console specific character for each. I own both consoles, PS3 & XBox 360, but there's no way in hell I'm gonna buy a copy for each just for the exclusive character; if I had to choose it's always going to be the PS3 since I'll probably have it longer with its Blueray capabilities.

In short, exclusive content sucks.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2008, 03:25 PM   #21
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
I don't think the ladies had any say in it.
Yeah they sound like the kinds of fluff books that are prepared each year (and are also written for different people in the event of an unexpected death, etc) which are basically unauthorized biographies, nothing that the actual individuals have anything to do with at all.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote