Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-21-2017, 10:43 AM   #31
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'll have to give this a go on my Surface Pro 2. I've not et run Calibre 3 on it. But before I do, I'll have to make sure I have the Creator Update on it.
No issue on my Surface Pro 3 with Calibre 64-bit. It has the Creator Update.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:44 AM   #32
rckmnr
rckmnr began at the beginning.

Device: PC
So what are you saying? That I don't really have a problem. Trust me, I do.
rckmnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2017, 11:56 AM   #33
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckmnr View Post
No one is saying you don't have a problem; obviously you do. But it seems not to be a common problem, so the solution might take some time.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:57 AM   #34
rckmnr

I'm going to try the recommendations in the FAQ (about time ... right?). One question though ... the third step says "Reinstall calibre. But do not start calibre from the installation wizard." The only installation file I see is calibre-3.7.0.msi. Is there another way to install this or is this the installer I should use?
Old 09-21-2017, 11:59 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
No issue on my Surface Pro 3 with Calibre 64-bit. It has the Creator Update.
No issue on my Surface Pro 2 fully updated with the Creator Update.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2017, 12:00 PM   #36
rckmnr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
No one is saying you don't have a problem; obviously you do. But it seems not to be a common problem, so the solution might take some time.
Sorry for my frustration.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:04 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Have you tried safe mode with networking? Have you tried a reset of Windows 10? Obviously something isn't working properly.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:46 PM   #38
rckmnr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you tried safe mode with networking? Have you tried a reset of Windows 10? Obviously something isn't working properly.
Yes I have used safe mode with networking. I haven't reset Windows, not sure I want to.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:45 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yes I have used safe mode with networking. I haven't reset Windows, not sure I want to.
But, given that we don't know what's wrong, we also don't know if what's wrong will cause other problems.

One thing to try before the reset is to try installing the latest video driver. Are you using a laptop with two video cards? If so, try using the other video card. From the desktop, right click the Calibre icon and choose which video card to use.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:30 PM   #40
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I'm going to try the recommendations in the FAQ (about time ... right?). One question though ... the third step says "Reinstall calibre. But do not start calibre from the installation wizard." The only installation file I see is calibre-3.7.0.msi. Is there another way to install this or is this the installer I should use?
At the end of the install there's a check box, something like "Run calibre now", by default it's checked, uncheck it, click Finish. That advice in the FAQ is so you can shut down the AV before starting calibre.

Quote:
I know the feeling, so for me at least, no apologies necessary.

Have a read of this thread ==>> Out of the blue - 64bit taskbar icon stops combining

Since yesterday (my time) AnotherCat and Terisa de Morgan have both confirmed the problem. AC has reproduced the problem with calibre and another 64bit program, and Terisa has the problem on some machines and not others.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-21-2017 at 06:33 PM. Reason: typo and grammar
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:58 PM   #41
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@rckmnr - if neither the 64 or 32 bit versions will start, try the portable version.

If that doesn't work, then something on your computer 'doesn't like' calibre - period. Most probably a 3rd party program that runs at startup, possibly a shell extension, or even a service. Startup programs, shell extensions and services can be disabled selectively - and not all such things are disabled by Windows Safe Mode.

If it does work then you'll have something to work with, portable is the 32bit edition in an 'isolation' wrapper.

Have you tried running a System File Check

I don't think your problem is related to mine, but Kovid has made a 'just in case' change that will be in the next version, so give it a try when it's released.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-21-2017 at 06:05 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:25 PM   #42
Dent-Fixer
Dent-Fixer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Did you try using compatibility mode? Maybe try Windows 8 mode?

Last edited by Dent-Fixer; 09-21-2017 at 06:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Dent-Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:36 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dent-Fixer View Post
Did you try using compatibility mode? Maybe try Windows 8 mode?
That's not needed. Calibre 64-bit does work with Windows 10 Creator Update. There is a problem that needs to be fixed.

The idea of trying compatibility mode is not a proper fix. A proper fix is to try to see what the problem is.

I like the idea of stopping third party programs from running including third party services. Something is preventing Calibre from running and it's a good idea to find what it is. What I would do is go into Services and stop all Services that did not come with the OS or is needed to keep Windows 10 running. Stop all excess programs from running including any AV. Just kill everything you can and then see what happens.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:46 PM   #44
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Try right clicking on shortcut and choose run as administrator.

If that doesn't work try running the shortcut in compatibility mode. Try Windows 7.

I'm just throwing ideas out there but they are worth a try.

I got a out of memory error trying to start Calibre today but the second try it finally popped up several minutes later.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:03 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Before trying compatibility mode, I like the idea was said of shutting off everything possible. Most of the posts I've read of Calibre not working properly were because of some program installed that didn't play nice.

Tags
calibre, windows 10