Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-10-2016, 10:09 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
N96ML + $200 for shipping ???

I'm interesting in purchasing the Boox N96ML.

At the ereader store, there is this quote concerning shipping. [Please disregard their very bad English]:

"Now with UPS it is always EXPRESS delivery which usually costs a couple of hundred EUR, but we could bargain very good conditions. It costs now almost as high as usual postal fees. But customers have their ordered goods within of a couple of days."

In addition to the above, there is what are brokerage fees [includes VAT]:

"It depends on goods price, origin, import rules of country of destination (even states and provinces have different rules)."

In Peru, the VAT is 19%.

Here is my question:

1) I'm OK with paying 19% VAT.

2) But that DHL/UPS of $200 in additional shipping seems exorbitant. Am I, perhaps, misunderstanding this fee?

-- The above can be found in the FAQ.

OR: I could just order the unit from Amazon (USA), since I hold dual residency. I could then have it shipped to my sister, and then she could ship it to me. This would take 4-6 weeks. With VAT and shipping from the USA, the total cost is around $520 (includes the cover).

Thanks.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-10-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:56 PM   #2
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Direct from China (TMall)?

Another alternative is to buy it directly from Onyx's own TMall store here for 2280 Yuan (US$340). You may have to use an agent (this one was the one I used to buy my last eReader from there four years ago), but I doubt if their fee+shipping would come even close to US$200 (unless that figure includes some really weird Peruvian import duty or sales tax).

After all, if you're in South America (or Oceania), and buying a product that is from China, then there's little point in paying the extra shipping and markups of going through Europe or North America, if you can avoid it.

Last edited by Hrafn; 07-10-2016 at 12:59 PM.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2016, 02:06 PM   #3
medwatt
Zealot
medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle 3 (dead); Nook ST (dead); Sony PRS-T1; Onyx i86+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Here is my question:

2) But that DHL/UPS of $200 in additional shipping seems exorbitant. Am I, perhaps, misunderstanding this fee?

Thanks.
I paid 59EUR for having the i86 shipped to a location that is almost as far as Peru is from Germany. I'm surprised that you have to pay $200.
medwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:44 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medwatt View Post
I paid 59EUR for having the i86 shipped to a location that is almost as far as Peru is from Germany. I'm surprised that you have to pay $200.
The problem may lie with me and with my not fully understanding what the cost will be. I'm quoting their FAQ. In fact, that whole site is a muddled mess, as far as I'm concerned and is difficult to understand.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:44 AM   #5
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:

At the ereader store, there is this quote concerning shipping. [Please disregard their very bad English]:

"Now with UPS it is always EXPRESS delivery which usually costs a couple of hundred EUR, but we could bargain very good conditions. It costs now almost as high as usual postal fees. But customers have their ordered goods within of a couple of days."

In addition to the above, there is what are brokerage fees [includes VAT]:

"It depends on goods price, origin, import rules of country of destination (even states and provinces have different rules)."

In Peru, the VAT is 19%.

Here is my question:

-- The above can be found in the FAQ.

OR: I could just order the unit from Amazon (USA), since I hold dual residency. I could then have it shipped to my sister, and then she could ship it to me. This would take 4-6 weeks. With VAT and shipping from the USA, the total cost is around $520 (includes the cover).

Thanks.
The tax "VAT" is only for EUROPE. For Lima, there is NO VAT applied for an exportation from Germany. After, each country has his own rules when the goods are imported. You already know your local tax.

An other problem already submit by Booxtor in this forum is the expedition lost or the delay to delivery the good. The local postal service could take some days or weeks to deliver the good. The goods could be stay in customs a long time too.
Some vendor send the goods with a "no value" label (frequent with Chinese vendors), but if the customs are curious, the true cost is higher than the cost of the order because you must pay your local tax to obtain the good.

For all this reason, ereader-store.de use UPS. If you are ready to wait for the delivery, may be the final cost could be lower. In all case, contact directly Ereader-store.de (https://ereader-store.de/en/contact-us) to have a evaluation of the final cost.

Last edited by Randy11; 07-11-2016 at 03:47 AM.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2016, 04:25 AM   #6
desk7
Groupie
desk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Onyx Boox Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
The tax "VAT" is only for EUROPE. For Lima, there is NO VAT applied for an exportation from Germany. After, each country has his own rules when the goods are imported. You already know your local tax.

An other problem already submit by Booxtor in this forum is the expedition lost or the delay to delivery the good. The local postal service could take some days or weeks to deliver the good. The goods could be stay in customs a long time too.
Some vendor send the goods with a "no value" label (frequent with Chinese vendors), but if the customs are curious, the true cost is higher than the cost of the order because you must pay your local tax to obtain the good.

For all this reason, ereader-store.de use UPS. If you are ready to wait for the delivery, may be the final cost could be lower. In all case, contact directly Ereader-store.de (https://ereader-store.de/en/contact-us) to have a evaluation of the final cost.
I suggest to use their email address directly: service@ereader-store.de
In fact, when I asked some questions using the 'contact page' they didn't answer. However, when I used the email address, they answered quickly.
desk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:38 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

To address one issue: I understand there is no VAT applied by the store in my case, as I don't live in Europe. However, Peru does, indeed, impose a customs VAT (19% of list) if Sur Post (Peru's governmental post office) catches the item. --- It's not my job to do their job, if you know what I mean.

It may be that the least expensive way is to order it from Amazon for $420 (ereader + case) + approx. $20 to ship from Amazon to my sister's address in the U.S.A. Then, she can repackage the item and have it shipped to Peru, for approx. $35 - $45 (depending upon weight). THEN, if it passes customs without incident, the above is the total cost. However, if Sur Post flags it, then I'll need to pay an additional $78 approx. (19% VAT).

The total cost would then be from $475 - $570. --- Regardless, this is a very expensive proposition.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-11-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:10 PM   #8
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Like Desk7 wrote it, you would directly contact Ereader-store.de, it's not the first time that they have an order from out of Europe. I suppose that they know some way ... if you know what I mean ;-)
Old 07-12-2016, 04:32 AM   #9
medwatt
Zealot
medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle 3 (dead); Nook ST (dead); Sony PRS-T1; Onyx i86+
Quote:
Like Desk7 wrote it, you would directly contact Ereader-store.de, it's not the first time that they have an order from out of Europe. I suppose that they know some way ... if you know what I mean ;-)
I think Ereader-store.de has an agreement with UPS and as such for shipments outside Europe there's a fixed rate of 54EUR.
medwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:31 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

If the price TOTAL to ship to Peru is 54 Eur - AND IF IT CAN GET HERE FAST - then this may be the way to go. I've sent an email to ereader-store.de, but I'm not hopeful of a fast reply, based upon the bad press they have for answering emails.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:13 AM   #11
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
If the price TOTAL to ship to Peru is 54 Eur - AND IF IT CAN GET HERE FAST - then this may be the way to go. I've sent an email to ereader-store.de, but I'm not hopeful of a fast reply, based upon the bad press they have for answering emails.
I bought an I86ML from them.
I emailed them about my order before it arrived and on two occasions since.
I have never received any sort of reply.
If you make a query of Booxtor on this forum you have a far higher chance of an answer than from his store.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:14 AM   #12
Randy11
Wizard

Try both, e-mail and page contact in the website.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:59 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
I bought an I86ML from them.
I emailed them about my order before it arrived and on two occasions since.
I have never received any sort of reply.
If you make a query of Booxtor on this forum you have a far higher chance of an answer than from his store.

I actually got an email from them.

For a moment there, I had an out-of-world experience. From some of the things I've read here, I was beginning to think this a cultural issue (we have that 'problem' here in Peru), so it's extremely confusing - BUT NEVERTHELESS POSITIVE! - to get a response after just one day!

I'll post what they said in a bit, after I'm through parsing the language.