Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-07-2015, 10:23 PM   #61
hyphenreader
Connoisseur
hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: iPhone [Hyphen Reader]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby B View Post
I registered to this Forum to thank you @hyphenreader.

Your software has a huge potential for an average reader. I am not a developer. But am an avid reader. When I switched to iOS, I did not realize that I will miss Moon+ reader the most from my daily life. I have tried many softwares in iOS and yours is by far the best (compared against Marvin, Kybook, Total reader, Reader+ etc). I especially admire the way you have gone ahead incorporating so many changes.

What I needed was customizable screen, proper animations and keep a track of my reading history in iOS.

Your soft has accomplished almost everything.

If I may, with Page animations, extended platform (Windows & android) and device (ipad and mac) support, and robust history logging this software can turn for the best.

You have already incorporated options to categorize files (I keep all my files with me. More than accessibility its an Old habit, I had a habit of hoarding various editions of book), which is helpful as my library is quite huge.

I see that your next versions are going to be even better. I am going to purchase full version. hopefully I'll see this version in windows soon.
Thank you Alby! This is what I set out for when I first decided to build Hyphen, and it's very reassuring to hear that.
hyphenreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 12:05 AM   #62
hyphenreader
Connoisseur
hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

1.1.1 has been released and should be available soon in all countries/territories!

Most notable changes: Two Column support, increased margins/font size/paragraph indent, and Reduced Animations mode.

Full changelog:

Quote:
What's New in 1.1.1:

· Two-Column Support: Got one of those large, spacious, king-sized, oh-my-lord-this-screen-is-so-big-I-should've-gotten-an-ipad-mini-instead,-its-so-big,-why-is-it-so-big-sized screens? Use this setting to make reading more comfortable. Available under Book Settings > Pages. You can also optionally only use two columns when your device is in landscape orientation.
· HyphenLink (Experimental): Import ePubs and manage your library via local browser (More > Experimental)
· Increased maximum and minimum Font Size, Page Margin, and Paragraph Indent
· Improved reliability of ePub import process
· Localized 'Speak Text' option - it will now read in the accent of your ePub's language
· Low Power Mode support (iOS 9 only)
· New 'Reduced Animations' option available under More > Interface Options.
· Made text selection's snapping to new page more reliable
· Added support for HTTP Basic Authentication in Web Browser
· Smoother animations
· General bug fixes and stability improvements you (probably) don't care to hear about

Thank you for using Hyphen! I don't like bothering you to ask for reviews, but if you are enjoying Hyphen and find it useful please take a moment and let me know what you think (p.s.: word of mouth helps too)

Don't hesitate to contact me on Twitter (@HyphenReader) or email (hyphenreader@gmail.com) for help or any suggestions you have. Or just for conversation. I'll totally talk to you. Not that I'm lonely or anything.

Don't forget to tell me what you think
Advert
Old 12-18-2015, 10:11 AM   #63
Crappycaliber
Crappycaliber began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Every time I try to download this ePub file, hyphen crashes, please advise

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/bible/nwt/
Crappycaliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:54 AM   #64
hyphenreader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crappycaliber View Post
Every time I try to download this ePub file, hyphen crashes, please advise

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/bible/nwt/
This seems to be caused by the absolute massive size of the ePub, which lead to memory issues while importing it. I'm working on optimizing the import process for large ePubs like this.

Let's try this: I'll send you a beta version of Hyphen so you won't have to wait for the regular release cycle, so you'll have a faster solution. I'll message you when it is ready. Does that work for you?

Last edited by hyphenreader; 12-18-2015 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:36 AM   #65
Crappycaliber
Crappycaliber began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
That will be fine
Crappycaliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2015, 12:31 AM   #66
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Hi Hyphenreader!

Thanks so much for increasing font-size options. This is excellent. In fact, all the customization options in Hyphen are truly excellent.

Thanks also for adding the "Reduced animations" option. Alas, I'm still finding it uncomfortable to read with Hyphen as "Reduced animations" results in the "notorious page flash," which I see from your GitHub roadmap that you're aware of. (Interesting that this is the same page-flash I see on Marvin with page-turn style set to "None," which is why I stopped using Marvin.)

Also, "Reduced animations" only works with the page tap, not the swipe. If I read one-handed holding my iPhone in my right hand, it's fine. I can easily tap the right margin with my thumb. But if I read holding iPhone in my left hand, I can't reach the right margin one-handed and have to swipe. If you're considering adding customizable tap zones, this would solve this particular problem.

I see on your GitHub roadmap that you're planning on adding more page-turn options. Hopefully one of those will work better for me. (I'm particularly fond of Bluefire Reader's "Fade" and the Kindle for iOS's page-turning animation. Strangely, Marvin's "Fade" option looks almost the same as Marvin's dizzying "Slide" options.)

I eagerly await your next release to see if there are new page-turn enhancements. If so, I will likely switch to Hyphen as my main ereading app.

Thanks!
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:30 AM   #67
hyphenreader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Hi Hyphenreader!

Thanks so much for increasing font-size options. This is excellent. In fact, all the customization options in Hyphen are truly excellent.
Awesome, glad they worked for you.

Quote:
Thanks also for adding the "Reduced animations" option. Alas, I'm still finding it uncomfortable to read with Hyphen as "Reduced animations" results in the "notorious page flash," which I see from your GitHub roadmap that you're aware of. (Interesting that this is the same page-flash I see on Marvin with page-turn style set to "None," which is why I stopped using Marvin.)
I dream in page flicker. Life scrolls by endlessly, each frame a stilted, jarring daymare. The flicker is unyielDing, unfORrgiving and unENdiNg. the flicker consumes all

Sorry, sorry, I was having flashbacks. This issue is a nightmare to deal with! It seems to be side affect of how iOS handles web content rendering (although I believe it has a counterpart on OSX, too), which is why it shares this with Marvin.

I managed to mitigate it in this release, or tried to - it should only flicker the first time you scroll in a new section. I'm still looking for a way to get rid of it entirely. When I do I will pat myself on the back heartily.

Quote:
Also, "Reduced animations" only works with the page tap, not the swipe.
Whoops! This is something that definitely should have been in the 1.1.1 release. Roadmapped.

Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited by hyphenreader; 12-20-2015 at 04:35 AM.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:32 AM   #68
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyphenreader View Post
Whoops! This is something that definitely should have been in the 1.1.1 release. Roadmapped.
To clarify, swiping does change the page, but it does so with full animation, even with "Reduced animations" turned on. The only way to turn the page without animation is to tap, which is problematic if I'm reading one-handed with my left hand because my thumb can't reach the right margin. Thanks!
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:35 AM   #69
hyphenreader
Connoisseur

Quote:
To clarify, swiping does change the page, but it does so with full animation, even with "Reduced animations" turned on. The only way to turn the page without animation is to tap, which is problematic if I'm reading one-handed with my left hand because my thumb can't reach the right margin. Thanks!
That clarifies. Thanks!
Old 01-05-2016, 09:57 AM   #70
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
Question

Just bought Hyphen for my iPad, but when I try to connect to Dropbox, I get an error message that the developer can't add more users.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:10 AM   #71
hyphenreader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioncottage View Post
Just bought Hyphen for my iPad, but when I try to connect to Dropbox, I get an error message that the developer can't add more users.
Hi dandelioncottage,

Sorry for the inconvenience. I've gotten in touch with Dropbox support, as this was supposed to be a non-issue a long time ago. In the meantime, you may be able to make use of one of the other options for adding books.

I'll let you know as soon as it's been resolved. Let me know if there's anything else you need help with in the meantime.

Thanks for using Hyphen

Last edited by hyphenreader; 01-05-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:58 PM   #72
hyphenreader
Connoisseur

Update:

The issue with Dropbox linking has been resolved! Give it a try and let me know if you need help with anything else.

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2016, 01:43 PM   #73
saiyogo
saiyogo began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 8 Plus, iPad Pro 10.5, Kindle Voyage
Thanks for the nice app.

I've been trying to import some fonts from my computer to the app. But after adding the font files via iTunes as instructed (.ttf and .otf files) it still did not appear in the font list. Restarted a few times but it didn't help. I'm on iOS 9.2.

Any help on the matter?
saiyogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:59 PM   #74
hyphenreader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiyogo View Post
Thanks for the nice app.

I've been trying to import some fonts from my computer to the app. But after adding the font files via iTunes as instructed (.ttf and .otf files) it still did not appear in the font list. Restarted a few times but it didn't help. I'm on iOS 9.2.

Any help on the matter?
Hello saiyogo,

Could you upload/attach the fonts you are trying to add? It's also important to note that the fonts need to be in the Documents folder only, not in a sub-folder.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:22 PM   #75
saiyogo
saiyogo began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 8 Plus, iPad Pro 10.5, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyphenreader View Post
Hello saiyogo,

Could you upload/attach the fonts you are trying to add? It's also important to note that the fonts need to be in the Documents folder only, not in a sub-folder.
Thanks very much for your quick suggestion, the problem seems to be from the font files in my computer. I downloaded it again from the internet, imported it and voila everything is fine.

Now with Bookerly and Literata installed, Hyphen just become much more goodlooking
saiyogo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook, epub, hyphen, ibooks, ios