Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-06-2018, 12:10 PM   #31
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
A computer allows third party code to manipulate all files that exist on it in any manner it sees fit.
But there are plugins for your application, which are supposed to extend the functionality of calibre. Why you allow your plugins to hack in the other applications' data? ADE is not a part of Calibre, and hacking its store should not be possible from within it.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:24 PM   #32
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
But there are plugins for your application, which are supposed to extend the functionality of calibre. Why you allow your plugins to hack in the other applications' data? ADE is not a part of Calibre, and hacking its store should not be possible from within it.
Sigh, I give up. I suggest you go educate yourself about how computers work. As a starting point, note that in a computer, any program can access any other programs data. That is how computers work. And plugins in calibre are just ordinary programs. If you dont like it I suggest you join the war on general purpose computing, serfs like us should only be allowed access to media consumption devices, not computers.

Anyway, I have wasted enough time on this thread. Over and out.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 02:21 PM   #33
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
because: of the basic 'locked door' test used for burglary / unauthorized access.

If the door is left OPEN, it is just trespassing. at the worst (assumes no other activities after entry)

If you Force your way past a locked door, it is B & E
I'm pretty sure this doesn't apply to the Internet. If you leave data open to anyone in the world, it's not trespassing when someone decides to download it. I'm pretty sure also that a certain percentage leave them open deliberately. Wither it's to the global Internet at large or only their friends, the onus of securing data is on them.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:01 AM   #34
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I don't read often such a lot pseudo knowledge nonsense and blablabla at mobileread.

Seems summertime is coming and troll time starts ...
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:59 AM   #35
icq70610
Enthusiast
icq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enough

Device: PSR505
That comment made my day,

summer time = 35 degrees = the trolls pop up

\Pete
icq70610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:16 PM   #36
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
Better ban Google.
Just out of curiosity, what sort of identifying details would be present in an ebook?
There is a German DRM system that has random changes in the words of the book. No two officially distributed copies of the eBook contain the same words in the same order. Keep a list of who bought each version, and you can tell who whose copy is on TPB.

One of the US DRM systems scatters the purchaser's name, address, credit card number, and expiration date around the document.

Amber
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:16 PM   #37
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiat_Lux View Post
There is a German DRM system that has random changes in the words of the book. No two officially distributed copies of the eBook contain the same words in the same order. Keep a list of who bought each version, and you can tell who whose copy is on TPB.

One of the US DRM systems scatters the purchaser's name, address, credit card number, and expiration date around the document.
Or a Dutch based one that adds extra spaces between sentences. I assume there is some encoding in the pattern of 1 space/2 spaces between sentences that identifies the original purchaser.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:23 PM   #38
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:

Amber
Handy for criminals looking for that kind of information.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:50 PM   #39
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Quote:
There is a German DRM system that has random changes in the words of the book. No two officially distributed copies of the eBook contain the same words in the same order.
I didn't believe it so I had to check and you are right!

https://www.wired.com/2013/06/new-ebook-drm/

From the article:

By studying a list of example words and phrases that could be changed in purchased books, you can see that the changes are minor – like from "very disturbing" to "not disturbing."

That made me laugh..

Quote:
Not something that would make for repeat business from me. Thanks for the info.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:42 PM   #40
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I would think that listing the buyers credit card info in the document would be illegal. If nothing else it will not be long before a lawyer sues them.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:05 PM   #41
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
If this is referring to the old B&N > Fictionwise > eReader.com > Palm Digital Media DRM, you had to enter your name and credit card (as of the time you purchased the book). The ebook encryption saved that info as hashed data (I'm probably not saying that right) that was supposed not able to be used to pull the name/credit card from it. Back in 2002 when I first started buying ebooks, this was my DRM of choice and I read a lot about it before I decided to buy books that used it.

I tried a quick Google search, but couldn't find anything about it any more, other than "B&N is changing its DRM" blog posts.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:29 AM   #42
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Those same programs exist as standalone python programs, no calibre needed. So are you now going to condemn the entire python programming language!?! Any python based program could be used to launch or run the drm tool GUI quite easily.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:03 AM   #43
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
Quote:
Handy for criminals looking for that kind of information.
See?
It works extremely well.
You - the person that has purchased the book legally - are going to guard it even more carefully than the CreditCard used to purchase the book
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:02 PM   #44
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
because: of the basic 'locked door' test used for burglary / unauthorized access.

If the door is left OPEN, it is just trespassing. at the worst (assumes no other activities after entry)

If you Force your way past a locked door, it is B & E
IANAL, and it's definitely off topic, and I don't know how it is in FL or where ever you are, but in Tennessee, it's Breaking and Entering if you unlawfully enter the house, whether or not the door is locked. "Breaking" here understood in the sense of "breaking the plane of the threshold" (i.e. crossing the threshold).
Additionally, if the house or dwelling is occupied by someone who has a right to be there, at the time of the B&E, the breakin in itself is assumed to constitute an "immediate threat of death or serious bodily harm" to the occupant, which is sufficient to permit the use of deadly force to counteract said threat.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:05 PM   #45
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
In my view it is a fallacy to equate offences against physical property with actions relating to intellectual property. Let's take the example of larceny and try to apply it to copying an epub file. A nice simple explanation of the elements of larceny can be found here:

Findlaw Elements of Larceny

To prove larceny the prosecutor must prove beyond a reasonable doubt:

1. The unlawful taking and carrying away;
2. Of someone else's property;
3. Without the consent of the owner; and
4. With the intent to permanently deprive the owner of the property.

It is very clear that neither 1 nor 4 can be proven since they have not in fact occurred. I suppose if a pirate steals someones computer or hard drive and carries it away with the requisite intention it is possible to argue that larceny has occurred not only in relation to the hard drive but also the intellectual property stored on the hard drive.

But nothing belonging to the owner is taken and carried away by simply copying a file. And the owner is not deprived of the file since it remains undamaged wherever it is stored. The point I am making is that viewing intellectual property by way of analogy to physical property only goes so far. It is understandable why rights holders equate copyright infringement with theft, since they want to attach the same odium to copyright infringement, presumably in an attempt at simplification as even young children are quickly educated to understand that theft is wrong.

Likewise, as st_albert pointed out in his reply to theducks in this thread, breaking and entering is not a good analogy for accessing a calibre server exposed to the web, whether or not there is any security on that server.

Copying ebook files without the owners permission is not larceny. It is copyright infringement, a fundamentally different thing. Accessing another computer over the internet without authorisation is not breaking and entering, though it may be one of a number of different offences created in different jurisdictions.

Whether copyright infringement is morally equivalent to larceny, or accessing a computer without permission to breaking and entering, is a different argument and will no doubt attract a variety of views. But reasoning by use of analogies between these concepts is of limited use and usually attended to attach the odium of one crime to something fundamentally different.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote