Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-04-2018, 01:03 PM   #1
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist
BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle 4, Nook Gl4, Nook STR, REB 1100, Ebookwise 1500,
Problem w/Tags overlapping Book Description

All of my libraries, until the one I created yesterday, have the book details in a column on the left and the book summary/description to the right with no overlap as shown in the image labelled 'GoodView'.

Yesterday I created a new library based on the library I'm currently using but now the tags are overlapping the book description. As shown in the image labelled 'BadView'.

This is in the main library view using the Narrow Layout.

I'm using Calibre Portable 3.20, currently viewing on a Win7 Pro 64bit machine. It shows up the same on my Win10 Pro 64bit machine as well. I haven't changed any of the settings between the libraries so I don't know why it's doing this. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GoodView.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	164294   Click image for larger version

Name:	BadView.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	164295  
BookJunkieLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:21 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It would help if you posted the metadata.db file from the library. Most likely it is some CSS or malformed HTML in your book description causing this.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:29 PM   #3
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist
BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm currently downloading some books so as soon as it's done I'll upload it to here.

If it's bad CSS or HTML in the book description wouldn't it only affect 1 book instead of all of them? Unless the plugin I'm using it is causing it but, again, it's only in this library.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:38 PM   #4
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist

Okay. How do I attach the db file? It tells me it's invalid when I try to use the attachment manager.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:46 PM   #5
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist

To make life easy I put a copy of the db into my dropbox at this link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0hgdsmw60r...tadata.db?dl=0

Just to be clear I am not running calibre from Dropbox. I just put a copy of the file there so you could see it. I run Calibre from an external hard drive that I move from home to work and back.

ETA: I also tried uploading one of the books from the affected library to an unaffected one and there was no issue with the tags overlapping. I'm wondering if I should just try creating the library again?
Old 06-04-2018, 04:08 PM   #6
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist

So, I figured out the issue. I had a Long Text custom column, that I'd forgotten wasn't in any other library but the new one, that was set to HTML. I'm guessing because of the info being put into that field it simply widened the column of info on the left which caused the tags to overlap the description. I changed the field to Plain Text and now everything wraps like it should.

Thanks to those who took a look at this for me.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:20 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@BookJunkieLI - I use HTML long text columns quite a lot, I don't recall seeing this, but. . .

Many of my HTML columns are used to hold links with short names, so I put the header to the side. If they're likely to contain long paragraphs I put the header on top and I position the column itself at the end of the panel - which in narrow layout pushes it to the right column (where Comments are shown).

Where did you put the column header, and where did you put the column ?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:09 PM   #8
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist

I'm not sure what you mean by where did I put the column, since I didn't know I had a choice as to where it went in the book details.

As for the the column header with 'heading to the side' and 'plain text' the issue crops up. Side, HTML - there's no issue. Also using No Heading seems to fix things but it does this odd wrap style. Either way, someone in the thread for the plugin I thought might be causing the problem suggested disabling the display option for that column in Look & Feel=>Book Details and the issue also went away. And since I don't really need to see that info on a regular basis it worked out fine for me.

Thanks though.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:36 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookJunkieLI View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by where did I put the column, since I didn't know I had a choice as to where it went in the book details.
Look and Feel->Book Details is where you specify order in which columns are displayed. Select a column and use the green arrows on the right to move it up and down the list.

Then there's this setting ==> How to display text in the 'Narrow' layout:

Quote:
Choose how the text is laid out when using the "Narrow" user interface layout. A value of "Float" means that the comments text will wrap around the other metadata fields, while a value of "Columns" means that the comments will be in a separate fixed width column.setting
I have it set to 'Column', I'm not sure if I ever tried 'Float'

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote