Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Wal-Mart stops selling Amazon Kindles

Quote:
Wal-Mart Stores Inc will no longer sell Amazon.com Inc's Kindle products, making it the second major chain to stop selling Amazon's devices, as the world's largest retailer makes a bet that consumers are more interested in other gadgets.
Source
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Not that surprising to me.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
rdjack21
Groupie
rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elocity A7, Nook STR, Galaxy Nexus
That is not a surprise at all. The surprise was that they were selling them at all. I think that leaves Best Buy as the only local B&M store still selling them.
rdjack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Just as long as B&M store Dont Stop selling Gift cards I'm good LOL And Walmart Never sold Amazon cards anyway!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjack21 View Post
That is not a surprise at all. The surprise was that they were selling them at all. I think that leaves Best Buy as the only local B&M store still selling them.
Staples sells them.

It's easy to understand Walmart's decision. Most people would probably rather do business with Amazon than Walmart. Absent a discount, why would anyone get in a car and deal with a Walmart when they could click a link at Amazon and have the product delivered to their home? For an impulse buy, most people would probably go to Best Buy or Staples where sales associates and presentation are a notch higher (technically anyway).

No knock on Walmart -- I shop there regularly -- but there are things I just don't associate with Walmart.

I have four Fires. I bought three at Staples and one at Walmart. The one I bought at Walmart was advertised with a $50 gift card. When I got to the store (the Sunday the sale started), the store did not have a current flyer, there were no Fires on display, and the sales associate did not know if 1) they had fires, and 2) there was a sale. I waited patiently for the associate to work things out, but only because I was going to get a $50 gift card for my troubles.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Just as long as B&M store Dont Stop selling Gift cards I'm good LOL And Walmart Never sold Amazon cards anyway!
My Walmart does.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
This is when you realize that Kindle is the world's most expensive catalogue.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
This is when you realize that Kindle is the world's most expensive catalogue.
You have obviously not used one.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I bought several K4s and one K Fire because Walmart gave me free gift cards ($30 & $50) with my purchases; not to mention that it was quicker than waiting for a slow delivery. Additionally, if I needed to return one because I didn't want it, I wouldn't have to pay for return shipping.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #10
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Quote:
as the world's largest retailer makes a bet that consumers are more interested in other gadgets.
I was looking at two Walmart catalogs on Tuesday, and noticed that they have a big selection of long guns. Several assault type rifles, 5.56 caliber which is a mil type cartridge, 30 round clips.

Last edited by frahse; 09-20-2012 at 02:55 PM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #11
nobylspoon
Zealot
nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Asus Transformer, WIFI Xoom, EVO LTE, 3G Paperwhite 10/2
I'm proud to say I haven't stepped foot inside a Wal-Mart in about 2 years
nobylspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #12
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
How important do you think having a variety of different re-sellers like Walmart is? I would not imagine that it would mean too much since customers will find amazon and get their kindles if they have re-sellers or not.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #13
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
How important do you think having a variety of different re-sellers like Walmart is? I would not imagine that it would mean too much since customers will find amazon and get their kindles if they have re-sellers or not.
It's very important. People aren't likely to be willing to drop $200, $300, or $400 on a device without first having a chance to see what they actually look like.

Stores like Best Buy have developed ways to differentiate themselves from other retailers (with their Reward Zone program) that encourage customers to visit their store.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #14
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
In the days before Kindles were available in retail stores, many people complained that there was no way to see or try one out. Since there are enough Kindles in the wild now, just about every one knows someone with a Kindle. So it may not be as important to have a retail presence now.

But some people still want to buy some things locally. Not everyone buys into the "just send it back if you don't like it" argument, and some want to resolve problems or ask questions face to face. There are probably other reasons as well.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjack21 View Post
I think that leaves Best Buy as the only local B&M store still selling them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Staples sells them.
As do Office Depot and Office Max, J&R, MicroCenter, & Radio Shack. Probably others too, but that's what I can think of right now.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote