Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-30-2009, 10:15 PM   #1
DaveC
DaveC began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Converting PDF Books to an easily readable format for PRS505

Hello,

I am sure that all of this info is contained within the pages of this forum. But as I am a bit time poor at them moment, I was wondering if someone would mind doing a summary for me?

I quite like Books on Board and they don't actually seem to mind taking mony from Australians, (unlike most of the Ebook sellers). Unfortunately only some of their offerings are available in EPUB format. When they aren't they usually offer them in DRM Adobe digital editions, Microsoft Reader or eReader formats. I purchased a DRM Adobe book and it was horrible due to the reflow. Readable but not enjoyable, for me in any way. The EPUB versions, while not perfect, are acceptable for me.

I currently only have experience with the Sony Ebook Library software and Adobe Digital additions. I understand that Calibre is an alternative and is more sophisticated but as I value simplicity I haven't tried it yet.

If I cannot get a particular book from BoB in EPUB format, is there an easy, reliable way to take a DRM adobe book and covert it to look like the books from the Sony store or from BOB in EPUB? Also, does it always work as I don't want to spend my hard earned money and then find out that it failed for what ever reason. I know that you can convert between formats and strip DRM but what I really want is the horrible re-flow look to change to the more paper book look of EPUB or LRF.

Hopefully I have explained what I am trying to acheive. Sorry for being so long winded.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:26 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
You can usually remove DRM from a DRM'd PDF using Inept, but converting any PDF can be problematic. When I convert a PDF I use Acrobat (Pro not Reader) to export to HTML and then clean that up in Book Designer. Sometimes that cleanup is easy, sometimes not so much. Then I can use Book Designer to make a LIT or PRC which I convert to EPUB in Calibre (BD will also make an LRF for you). I know others have different methods for converting PDF, but that's what I've found most reliable. If I'm in a hurry I'll sometimes run the PDF through Mobipocket Creator and see if I get decent results. That will make a mobi/prc file I can then convert with Calibre.

If you can't get it in EPUB and your going to remove DRM and convert something else you're much better off buying it in MS Reader (LIT) format or Mobipocket (MOBI/PRC) format and using that as a starting point. ConvertLit and mobidedrm are fairly easy to use and will give you a book Calibre can convert to EPUB or LRF for you in seconds once the DRM is removed.

I'm sure others will have other methods to recommend that will work just as well.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2009, 10:45 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
In order to change the Adobe PDFs you will need to strip their DRM. Even if you do this, there is currently no automatic tool that will reliably convert them to ePubs (or any reflowable format) although several tools might work in some cases.

As AnemicOak says, if you are going to strip DRM then strip it from a reflowable format. The best for conversion to ePub are, 1) LIT, 2) MOBI, 3) eReader. Each one requires its own DRM stripping tool, but, once DRM-free, Calibre can convert them all to ePub. LITs are only easily handled if you have a Windows PC, but are very close to ePub in structure. MOBI works well enough converted to ePub, and is more often available than LIT. The eReader format is designed for small screens, and typically has less structure than the other formats but it is reflowable and probably better overall than PDF unless the ebook has many illustrations.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:13 PM   #4
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
If you can avoid it, avoid PDF. If it is an only option, you have to remove the DRM (I cannot help you with that, I would rather go the darknet than buy a book with DRM).

In my experience the best tool for PDF conversion is BookDesigner - search the forums, there is a lot of info out there. Calibre gives really weird results from PDFs.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote