Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-27-2008, 12:53 PM   #1
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD!
Calibre's generated css for epub

I'm looking at the generated css from calibre, and I have some questions:

@page {
size: 8.5in 11.0in;
margin: 1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in
}
is showing up. The outputs in epub (see my post in the epub forum) are making the sony softwares put huge margins in the file - these are not my printer settings from the software I'm using to make the html (Word), nor are they from my default printer on the computer. Is this reason I'm seeing weirdnesses and maybe some crashes in epub? I don't see a place to set this in calibre.....

in another one, I found this:

@page {
margin: 1.0in 65.95pt 1.0in 65.95pt
}
This file won't open in sony software nor on a 700.

@font-face {
font-family: PoynterGothicText-Black;
panose-1: 2 0 10 3 5 0 0 2 0 4
}
is showing up for every font on my machine - also, something I don't see how to control in calibre........

span.msoDel {
text-decoration: line-through;
color: red
}
and assorted other decorations are showing up - I'm presuming they're calibre defaults.

If I override the css in calibre - do these things clean up? or does it compound the css generated by calibre?

-bjc
brewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 01:17 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
All those CSS settings are in your html (generated from word i'm guessing?)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
All those CSS settings are in your html (generated from word i'm guessing?)
YES!

By golly, you got it. Stupid Word.

Now:

When I delete the ebook out of calibre with my adjusted margins, the one I had in place before keeps reloading - the margins keep going back to monsterously loarge.

So where is calibre's temp cache (windows), and is there a clever easier way to get it to start over with the file than restarting everything?

Oohhh while I'm at it - is there a recommended page size/margin setting for a reader? My old friend word keeps wanting to referring to a real printer.

-bjc
Old 12-27-2008, 01:45 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

if your source file does not specify margins, calibre will automatically add appropiate margins. This can be adjusted in the conversion dialog.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:18 PM   #5
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer

Hmmm.

I've deleted the book from calibre, restarted the computer, cleared all the temp caches I know about, reset the page margins in word to smallest possible, and the css generated by calibre is still coming up with old values:

@page {
margin: 1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in
}

Unfortunately, without major surgery on the html generated by Word, The values Word (stupid Word) puts in are going to just be there:

@page Section1
{size:8.5in 11.0in;
margin:8.65pt 9.35pt 8.65pt 9.35pt;}

Ideas?

-bjc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	page setup.jpg
Views:	1010
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	19934   Click image for larger version

Name:	jack.jpg
Views:	1146
Size:	569.3 KB
ID:	19935  
Advert
Old 12-27-2008, 02:29 PM   #6
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer

AH HA!

If my source html file happens to live in the same directory as a previously-generated calibre-zip file, when I re-add the html, calibre seems to be adding the pre-existant zip file, and putting that into the target directory, instead of building it anew.

Almost QED.

-bjc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jackagain.jpg
Views:	794
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	19941  
Old 12-27-2008, 02:53 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The next version of calibre will automatically strip @page rules from the input
Old 12-29-2008, 09:59 AM   #8
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer

that took care of it - thank you, kind sir....

-bjc