Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-14-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
Fujitsu to commercialize e-reader with color e-paper in the fall (CrunchGear)

Shamelessly copied from CrunchGear. They quoted Nikkei, which I think is a pretty reliable source.
http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/07/14...r-in-the-fall/

Fujitsu Frontech, Tokyo-based subsidiary of the Fujitsu group, plans to sell its FLEPia, an e-reader using color e-paper, to mass consumers this fall. The exact launch date is yet unknown.

According to Japan’s leading business newspaper Nikkei [registration required], Fujitsu will initially offer the A4 version only (210×304×12mm). They didn’t say if the A5 device will follow.

The FLEPia will not come with a backlight and Fujitsu claims one battery charge is enough to operate it for 50 hours. The device will be able to wirelessly download and store data from PCs and cell phones.

The company charged $25,000 for the A4 reader when they shipped a handful of units back in April 2007 [JP]. According to the Nikkei, the FLEPia to be introduced in the fall will cost $940. However, exact specifications, colors available and other details are unclear as of now. There is also no word from Fujitsu on when and if the company will offer the e-reader outside Japan as well.

Last edited by lovebeta; 07-14-2008 at 07:20 PM.
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:28 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
oh my. i hope the color A5 will follow soon... i wonder how much it would cost. 940$ is definitely out of my budget, but hopefully the price will go down fast...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
I actually think $940 for an A4 screen isn't bad. That means finally I can read my PDF papers on e-Ink.
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:32 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

oh, i think that for the stage of developpment and the size and features it's a reasonable price ; but from my personal perspective, it's a lot of money, too. i couldn't buy one at that price.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:35 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeta View Post
I actually think $940 for an A4 screen isn't bad. That means finally I can read my PDF papers on e-Ink.
However the A4 version isn't really A4 (only 12") and the A5 is really only 8" but I guess they assume on removing the margin on the piece of paper or that the customer is really stupid.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2008, 07:35 PM   #6
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
Hey that rings a bell...

Looks like you were faster.

If it turns out to be true, then it's really good news.
$1000 it's not too much for the professional and academic markets.
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:38 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKeeper View Post
If it turns out to be true, then it's really good news.
$1000 it's not too much for the professional and academic markets.
true, and also i think it's important to have a first color e-ink device available ; now it exists, we can hope it will continue to improve and the price will decrease soon.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:54 PM   #8
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
wow, the 8" model will definitely be my next Ebook Reader if the price comes down to something within my budget. For now, I'm very happy with my Sony, but these look great--I've really been wanting something with a slightly bigger screen than 6", although I don't need A4 size for novel-reading.

Last edited by seajewel; 07-14-2008 at 07:54 PM. Reason: to change "Ereader" to "Ebook Reader"
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:56 PM   #9
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Interesting, I thought color e-ink was still years away from market in any form. Perhaps there will be something affordable and usable before long.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:04 PM   #10
seamusfp
Enthusiast
seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Just to clarify some confusion I see in the comments.

This is not "E Ink", this is Fujitsu's e paper technology. I do not know how it differs from E Ink, but I believe it more than likely a stacked Cholesteric Reflective LCD.
seamusfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:06 PM   #11
zelda_pinwheel

ah, i believed it was e-ink as well. i'd be interested to know what kind of technology it uses.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:08 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
oh my. i hope the color A5 will follow soon... i wonder how much it would cost. 940$ is definitely out of my budget, but hopefully the price will go down fast...
I think you can buy a new car in India for a bit more than that.

Tata!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:22 PM   #13
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I think you can buy a new car in India for a bit more than that.

Tata!

BOb
really ? is the car backlit ?
Old 07-14-2008, 08:36 PM   #14
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
I don't want to be a killjoy but the FLEPia it's not the perfect device.

Take a look at this thead.

The tech is not at all color e-ink, contrast is not as good and don't get me started on color refresh rate...
Those complaining about eink current slow refresh rates will find plenty of time to meditate and maybe even write a book because the FLEPia takes almost 5s to refresh...
(but it's quicker with less colors...)

But yes I'm still getting it... since size matters..
BTW eink's color lab prototypes are way better than this so there's still hope.
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:37 PM   #15
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
really ? is the car backlit ?
Usually from the headlights of the cars stacked up behind it....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote