Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: Who's the best living Nordic crime writer?
Jussi Adler-Olsen 2 6.67%
Karin Alvtegen 0 0%
Camilla Ceder 0 0%
Karin Fossum 0 0%
Anne Holt 1 3.33%
Arnaldur Indriðason 2 6.67%
Mari Jungstedt 0 0%
Lars Kepler 1 3.33%
Camilla Läckberg 0 0%
Jens Lapidus 1 3.33%
Åsa Larsson 2 6.67%
Henning Mankell 11 36.67%
Liza Marklund 0 0%
Leif G. W. Persson 1 3.33%
Anders Roslund & Börge Hellström 0 0%
Yrsa Sigurðardóttir 2 6.67%
Helene Tursten 0 0%
Another writer 3 10.00%
Jo Nesbø 3 10.00%
Håkan Nesser 1 3.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2012, 10:47 AM   #46
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I find them deliciously dark ... but overall I appreciate the clean, uncluttered prose style of most Scandinavian mysteries - the ecological bleakness/whiteness/cold reflected in the prose and the story lines.
Exactly why I like them too.

Haven't read a lot of these authors but while I've really enjoyed the couple of Jo Nesbo books I've read and one Anne Holt, Mankell just edges them. For now at least.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:45 PM   #47
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
This isn't crime, but if you have the opportunity to read Jonas Jonasson, don't miss it. I don't know if it has been translated but "The 100 Year Old Man Who Stepped Out of the Window and Disappeared" (Hundraåringen som gick ut genom fönstret och försvann) is a wonderful crazy story about a 100 year old man who doesn't want his 100th celebration. It is very very funny and strangely realistic in all its absurdity.
The 100 Year Old Man Who Stepped Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson is available at Amazon now for $3.99. It's $10.87 at BooksOnBoard.

http://www.amazon.com/100-Year-Old-C...jonas+jonasson
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2012, 01:57 PM   #48
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilia View Post
Two of my favourite living Norwegian crime writers are Gunnar Staalesen and Fredrik Skagen.
I think some of the books are translated to English, probably more to German.
I bought two Gunnar Staalesen's mysteries, The Consorts of Death and The Writing On The Wall, at BooksOnBoard on sale for $5.49 each. The Consorts of Death is also available at Amazon for $7.08.

http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...en%2C%20Gunnar

Last edited by BelleZora; 10-31-2012 at 05:12 PM. Reason: corrected link
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:47 PM   #49
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
The 100 Year Old Man Who Stepped Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson is available at Amazon now for $3.99. It's $10.87 at BooksOnBoard.

http://www.amazon.com/100-Year-Old-C...jonas+jonasson
Let us know what you think when you have read it. I thoroughly enjoyed it,
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote