Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 06-22-2007, 10:42 AM   #1
kanonka
kanonka began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Question Polish fonts

Hi I'm from Poland. I bought sony reader (PRS-500) and I have a big problem. Reader can't display polish fonts like ą, ę, ć, ź, ś. Without this fonts reading polish books is very hard. I discovered that e-book in PDF format is displaying polish fonts but document is so small that I can't read it (even in medium mode). I read "User's guide to creating PDFs for the sony reader" and create document following the instruction step by step, but the document don't have 3,47/4,54" inspite the fact that I set this format while I was creating a PDF. Please help me because this is very good portable stuff and I can't use it. Sorry for my english
kanonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:03 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Hey, kanonka, welcome to MobileRead!

I think the issue you're having with the PDFs may be that you've set the page size, correctly but not the paper size -- I'm not sure how to suggest you do that, since I don't know what program you're using to make your PDFs.

If you're feeling brave, you can try replacing the fonts on your Reader with ones that include your 'extra' characters, and then you wouldn't need to worry about the PDF thing at all.

You can find info on that in this thread, but read it carefully, it won't work if you don't get the Fonts arranged just right (the thread will cover that).

Good luck and let us know how it goes for you.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2007, 02:33 PM   #3
drozdek
drozdek began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
Hi I'm from Poland. I bought sony reader (PRS-500) and I have a big problem. Reader can't display polish fonts like ą, ę, ć, ź, ś. Without this fonts reading polish books is very hard. I discovered that e-book in PDF format is displaying polish fonts but document is so small that I can't read it (even in medium mode). I read "User's guide to creating PDFs for the sony reader" and create document following the instruction step by step, but the document don't have 3,47/4,54" inspite the fact that I set this format while I was creating a PDF. Please help me because this is very good portable stuff and I can't use it. Sorry for my english
Witaj, daj sobie spokój z PDF, to się nie nadaje do czytania. ściągnij sobie Universal Flasher stąd: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...threadid=10900. Następnie należy załadować do niego fonty z http://projects.mobileread.com/reade...te%20Files.zip ( wyciągniesz je z programu PC Connect Update, który jest pod tym adresem). Zainstaluj Flashera zgodnie z instrukcją.To prawie wszystko. Do przeróbki plków pod Sony Readera użyj programu Bookdesigner (bookdesigner.org). W razie czego chętnie pomogę, też niedawno niedawno miałem taki problem, ale dzieki programom rosyjskich programistów wszystko okazało się bardzo proste

Last edited by drozdek; 06-28-2007 at 12:11 AM.
drozdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:43 AM   #4
aleks
Connoisseur
aleks doesn't litteraleks doesn't litteraleks doesn't litter

Device: Rocket eBook & Sony Reader
Ruski zawsze dadza rady.

Nice to see Polish on the forum!
aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:36 AM   #5
kitek
kitek began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600
ja mialem juz polskie litery ale znikly po updade do nowego firmware.Flaszer nie pracuje z tym nowym firmware.
kitek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2007, 01:49 AM   #6
drozdek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitek View Post
ja mialem juz polskie litery ale znikly po updade do nowego firmware.Flaszer nie pracuje z tym nowym firmware.
Niepotrzebnie robiłeś update, teraz musisz czekać na nowego flaschera, albo spróbować wrócić do starego firmware ...
Old 10-15-2007, 09:00 AM   #7
lecchu
lecchu began at the beginning.

Device: n/d
Czy zatem polskie pliki txt domyślnie na Sony PRS-500 sie nie pokazywały? Trzeba flashować z specjalnymi czcionkami?

Macie może jakiś kontakt GG - w POlsce nie ma gdzie potestować Readera, więc nie mam gdzie się popytać o szczegóły. Bylibyście tak mili się odezwać?

mój GG 584wytnij9807 (często niewidoczny, bom w pracy)

Pozdrawiam
Lecchu
lecchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:49 AM   #8
ereszet
Zealot
ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 Archos 704 wifi
Pooish fonts in pdfs

Quote:
Originally Posted by drozdek View Post
Witaj, daj sobie spokój z PDF, to się nie nadaje do czytania.
Translation of the quote: "Hi, give up PDF, it is not suitable for reading."

Unless the pdf text is in a very small font (like 6 point) or the page is very wide, you can read it quite well after converting the original pdf/djvu to lrf (or to png) with pdflrf program by cacapee, which rotates the page, trims the white margins, fattens the fonts, and offers some other refinements. The program is very fast and it is available for dos, windows and ubuntu linux. Most of the books available from the Polish dLibra network of digital libraries can be read with ease after conversion/refinement.

Last edited by ereszet; 10-15-2007 at 12:43 PM.
ereszet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:11 AM   #9
Jabberwock
Jabberwock began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Embedding fonts in Book Designer

You can also embed fonts in BD, so that Polish characters show up properly. That's what I do, as I do not like the default fonts too much.

Also, I had no problems with flashing of the new firmware (i.e. the one available at the end of September...) with Polish fonts.
Jabberwock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:21 AM   #10
hagar
hagar began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecchu View Post
Czy zatem polskie pliki txt domyślnie na Sony PRS-500 sie nie pokazywały? Trzeba flashować z specjalnymi czcionkami?
Tak, ja wymieniłem sobie czcionki na ładniejsze i z polskimi znakami (było parę wątków na ten temat, m.in. tu: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11004). I jeszcze jedna uwaga: plik txt musi mieć kodowanie UTF-8. Nie miałem przy tym żadnych problemów z flasherem bez względu na wersję firmware.
hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:05 PM   #11
ereszet
Zealot
ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 Archos 704 wifi
If a computer can read it, you can read it for sure.

The first picture attached shows a Polish dLibra book page refined with pdflrf, displayed on a Sony Reader screen. The second picture shows the OCR results of the same photo. Not all the words are recognized properly. After all e-ink is not a paper book.

To learn more how to take photos of books and OCR them see:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13848
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6185 sony screen.jpg
Views:	1161
Size:	461.4 KB
ID:	6378   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6185 ocr.jpg
Views:	1039
Size:	482.0 KB
ID:	6379  
ereszet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:23 AM   #12
lecchu
lecchu began at the beginning.

Device: n/d
Ach no to pytanie co z flashowaniem tego nowego czytnika 505 (jak już kupować, to w sumie nowszy model, czyż nie?)\

pozdrawiam
Lecchu
lecchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:09 AM   #13
hagar

W wątku https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15050
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk
I will release the updated Universal Flasher "soon"
Old 10-19-2007, 08:58 AM   #14
drozdek

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecchu View Post

Macie może jakiś kontakt GG - w POlsce nie ma gdzie potestować Readera, więc nie mam gdzie się popytać o szczegóły. Bylibyście tak mili się odezwać?

mój GG 584wytnij9807 (często niewidoczny, bom w pracy)

Pozdrawiam
Lecchu
Na tym portalu http://www.pdaclub.pl/view.php?news_id=13267 zgodnie z tym co napisano w artykule, w najbliższym czasie ma być test Sony Readra PRS- 500... Ja polskie czcionki uzyskuję ( oczywiście po zmianie firmware) za pomocą programu BookDesigner, po takiej przeróbce ( na pliki Irf) ebook na Sony Readerze, wygląda jak prawdziwa ksiązka Po flaschowaniu w plkach txt nie miałem polskich literek. Weź jednak pod uwagę, że plik Irf prezentuje się w czytaniu o wiele lepiej niż plik txt

Last edited by drozdek; 10-19-2007 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:46 AM   #15
hagar

drozdek, napisałeś ciekawą rzecz na forum PDAclub: "Po kilku miesiącach użytkowania znalazłem tylko dwie wady: tekst zamazuje się gdy przez dłuższą chwilę czyta się w pełnym słońcu". Zauważyłem, że generalnie sprawność wyświetlaczy e-ink zależy od temperatury działania. Oprócz PRS-500 posiadam też telefon Motorola F3 z wyświetlaczem e-ink (polecam - sympatyczny telefonik ). Kontrast i sprawność wyświetlaczy mocno spada gdy działają w wyższej temperaturze - już niewiele powyżej 30st C powoduje taki efekt. Niestety nie znalazłem opisu takiego efektu na tym forum. Ciekawe jak to jest w przypadku vizplex'a...
A tak na marginesie, to Motorola F3 ma duuużo lepszy kontrast niż PRS-500, choć nie korzysta z vizplex'a. Ale pewnie ma znaczenie to, że jej wyświetlacz jest segmentowy - nie "pixelowy" (w załączniku zdjęcie). Ech, chciałbym mieć taki kontrast na readerze....

Short explanation in English: image below shows differences in contrast and brightness between PRS-500 and cheap Motorola F3. Motorola has segmented display and I think that this is the reason for such difference. But it still strange for me...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PRS500_F3.jpg
Views:	818
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	6709