Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: MRBC: December08 book vote - Please vote for TWO only.
The Time Machine - H. G. Wells 16 31.37%
Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte 6 11.76%
A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens 9 17.65%
Three Men In A Boat - Jerome K Jerome 14 27.45%
Augustus Carp Esquire, by Himself: Being the Autobiography of a Really Good Man - Sir Henry Howarth Bashford 5 9.80%
The Hound of the Baskervilles - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 17 33.33%
The Man Who Was Thursday - G. K. Chesterton 10 19.61%
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald 12 23.53%
Dracula - Bram Stoker 7 13.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-21-2008, 03:47 PM   #16
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Did the Wodehouse get nixed for copyright reasons? There were certainly more than four nominations/seconds...

Xenophon
What is that? You guys needed to keep me honest in the nomination thread. It's too late now.

BTW: I didn't check copyright or that it was in the MR d/l section on anything. I "assumed" everyone was following the nomination rules.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:52 PM   #17
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
May I suggest that we leave this as it is for this month, and give the good Count an automatic entry into the next "Books at MR" month?
Would the Count be too lengthy of a read for some people to finish in 30 days?

Some may need to invest more than an hour a night to finish that book in one month.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:03 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
January
Science Fiction (can be from anywhere, including our library)
February
MobileRead Contemporary (can be any genre, but must be contemporary and must be available in our library)
March
Nonfiction (can be from anywhere, including our library)
April
MobileRead Author (must be a book from an author who frequents MobileRead)
May
Horror (can be from anywhere, including our library)
June
MobileRead Classic

Since January is to be science fiction, The Count of Monte Cristo is out for January. The soonest this book could be voted on wold be in June.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-21-2008 at 04:40 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:10 PM   #19
Richard Herley
Author
Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
BOb, what makes me think you might be wishing you hadn't appointed yourself VP?

Thanks for all your efforts on this. Poll looks good to me.
Richard Herley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 01:01 AM   #20
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Herley View Post
BOb, what makes me think you might be wishing you hadn't appointed yourself VP?
I wish for things like my lottery numbers to come in. To find the fountain of youth. For world peace to break out. For the end of poverty, hunger and disease.

I can deal with this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Herley View Post
Thanks for all your efforts on this. Poll looks good to me.
What else am I going to do when I should be doing something else?

BOb
Old 11-22-2008, 06:26 AM   #21
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Looking at the votes for some of those books, I have a feeling any we don't read this month will crop up again in future months and end up getting read
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:32 AM   #22
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
What is that? You guys needed to keep me honest in the nomination thread. It's too late now.

BTW: I didn't check copyright or that it was in the MR d/l section on anything. I "assumed" everyone was following the nomination rules.

BOb
Well, in the 7th message in the nomination thread, Richard Herley nominated My Man Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse. It's in the MobileRead library, but is PD only in the U.S.A. There were at least four "seconds" to the nomination. It's too late now, but...

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:44 AM   #23
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Well, my two votes are currently tying for second place
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 02:55 PM   #24
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Would the Count be too lengthy of a read for some people to finish in 30 days?

Some may need to invest more than an hour a night to finish that book in one month.
No. I could be read in less than 30 days. I like the Count.

Oh, wll maybe in June. I will suggest Phantom then. I'm going to hold off reading it until we do. I think...

Regarding January, what about Host by Stephenie Meyer? (See, I'm getting my suggestion in early.

Last edited by Tattncat; 11-22-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 03:03 PM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattncat View Post
No. I could be read in less than 30 days. I like the Count.

Oh, wll maybe in June. I will suggest Phantom then. I'm going to hold off reading it until we do. I think...

Regarding January, what about Host by Stephenie Meyer? (See, I'm getting my suggestion in early.
Make sure you make the nomination in the official nomination thread once it opens the third week of December.

BOb
Old 11-24-2008, 01:56 PM   #26
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Wow... the vote is going great. 50 people so far.

However, since CNN is already projecting a win for The Hound of the Baskervilles I have already loaded it on my Kindle (thanks feedbooks and whispernet) and am reading it. It starts out very well indeed.

BOb
Old 11-25-2008, 12:31 AM   #27
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

POLL CLOSED

The poll has closed and The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Author Conan Doyle has been selected as the MRBC book for December 08.

I am already reading it and I know many are going to enjoy this one.

BOb
Old 11-25-2008, 03:37 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please note that this book is included in the "Sherlock Holmes Omnibus" available for download here in both Sony Reader and MobiPocket formats.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:03 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Since this is December's book, why not keep the poll open until at least the 29th? That would give the 30th to actually download and install the book and then start reading on the 30th or 1st.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:26 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The Complete Sherlock Holmes Omnibus is available in LRC, PRC, & IMP.

IMP - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=295904
LRF - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10153
PRC - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12677

The IMP editions I created from HarryT's well made PRC edition.