Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #76
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
No quick start guide, did your box include one? The other 3Gs I received previously did not have a G on the box. I am so jealous of yours!!!!!! But still happy you got a great one! It looks WHITE!
What does it look like in the dark with a low light setting? Could you post a picture?

Last edited by xendula; 10-29-2012 at 07:06 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #77
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I feel so bad yours have those issues, it's just not right. So frustrating. I don't understand it honestly. Are they not checking them? Those bright spots especially are so easy to see. Do you think you'll try again? I'm really sorry, xendula.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:12 PM   #78
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
I really likes yours Sparklemotion. It gives us hope that we can get a good one.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #79
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not sure what to do. I was thinking of settling on the two least bad ones, but now that I see your perfect looking one, I wonder if it would be worth another exchange. I don't even know if Andrew would even work with me on new exchanges again. It's so frustrating.

Yours is the only one I have seen that I can't detect any blotches on. I want two of THOSE
Old 10-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #80
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Not sure what to do. I was thinking of settling on the two least bad ones, but now that I see your perfect looking one, I wonder if it would be worth another exchange. I don't even know if Andrew would even work with me on new exchanges again. It's so frustrating.

Yours is the only one I have seen that I can't detect any blotches on. I want two of THOSE
xendula I decided to send them all back for refunds and start from scratch in a couple of weeks. It was a nerve racking, time consuming merry- go- round. Maybe reordering would result in a positive outcome. Of course I'm assuming you have another Kindle to read on.
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #81
jswinden
Nameless Being

Unfortunately it still seems that replacements are hit and miss, even with these apparently handpicked units. Really disappointing. They really shanked the PW.

Sparkle I see obvious pink shadows in your photo.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #82
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Unfortunately it still seems that replacements are hit and miss, even with these apparently handpicked units. Really disappointing. They really shanked the PW.

Sparkle I see obvious pink shadows in your photo.
I really don't see them in person, to be honest. Anything I see is very minimal. This is definitely the best one I've had by far, so I'm happy enough with it as long as it doesn't develop anything worse. I'm so glad not to see that black speck anymore too, that bothered me as it often sat right next to or on top of a letter.

xendula - I would see what Andrew says tomorrow. If he's willing to send more out, I might just go for it one last time. I just cannot believe what a mess this whole PW issue has turned out to be. Good luck and keep us posted with whatever you decide.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #83
xendula
eBookworm

I'll let you guys know what he says. He will call either tomorrow or on Wednesday night.

@tmf2: I do have other kindles, and fell in love with the PW interface. Also, one of them is a present for someone that I will need in the beginning of December. If I send everything back and start from scratch in a few weeks, I won't have time for repeated rounds of replacements.

@sparkle: There is no way mine went through any type of QC! The black artifacts, smudges (are these caused by factory workers' finger prints), and dead-pixel type spots would have been caught right away. I will say that the color blotches are not as pronounced, so maybe they only checked for that.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #84
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
@sparkle: There is no way mine went through any type of QC! The black artifacts, smudges (are these caused by factory workers' finger prints), and dead-pixel type spots would have been caught right away. I will say that the color blotches are not as pronounced, so maybe they only checked for that.
That's ridiculous. I'll be curious what Andrew has to say. It's obvious to me they don't really have a fix. I just think there are some PW's that are better than others, but they all have issues to some extent.

I used mine last night and I am really pretty happy with it. It's also nice having the 3G too. That was a nice upgrade.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #85
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
That's ridiculous. I'll be curious what Andrew has to say. It's obvious to me they don't really have a fix.
I'm wondering if they will even fix the problem with this generation.
Good news you got lucky though, keep your eyes on it as some report that known good units were developing coloration problems over time.
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:15 PM   #86
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Andrew called me today and asked me what I thought of the replacement and I told him that while this one was much better, that they haven't solved the problem yet. I asked him to call me next Monday so I could live with this one for a bit before deciding. Mainly just in case it suddenly develops bad color hues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf2 View Post
I'm wondering if they will even fix the problem with this generation.
Good news you got lucky though, keep your eyes on it as some report that known good units were developing coloration problems over time.
I definitely don't think they will fix it in this generation. I'm happy with mine, but they all suffer from the color hues to some degree, imo. This one is superior to my others and I'm happy not to have black specks as that bothered me the most. I guess I'll see how it goes with this one. Hopefully it doesn't suddenly develop bad color hues, like you mentioned.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #87
xendula
eBookworm

Thanks for the update, sparklemotion.
I did some reading last night amd decided I can live with the two back specks on one of the new units, because the color blotches are the faintest and more uniform than on any of the other units.

Not sure what to do about the other one if he does not offer another replacement: the text is incredibly crisper on the two new units, but the dead pixel type spots and the white smudges across the bottom, coupled with the color hues are difficult to oversee. Sigh.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:51 PM   #88
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Thanks for the update, sparklemotion.
I did some reading last night amd decided I can live with the two back specks on one of the new units, because the color blotches are the faintest and more uniform than on any of the other units.

Not sure what to do about the other one if he does not offer another replacement: the text is incredibly crisper on the two new units, but the dead pixel type spots and the white smudges across the bottom, coupled with the color hues are difficult to oversee. Sigh.
I wouldn't worry as I'm pretty sure he will offer you a replacement for that one. Andrew was willing to offer me another one if I wanted it, so I'm sure he will do the same when he talks to you. He seems really willing to try and help, he's far and away the best rep I have talked to about this. He was also willing to let me keep both of mine for a bit to decide, if I wanted. I said I was fine with the one they sent me providing it didn't suddenly get worse or if I noticed something new.

Are the lights at the same level on both of yours? I have noticed that almost every one I received has varying degrees of brightness. Crazy.

I'm glad you're happy with at least one of yours. Let us know what Andrew has to say. Good luck.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #89
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:

Hmm, do the new ones come with a newer firmware by any chance? I thought the text on the pw isn't as dark (looks kind of greyish) as the k3. I disliked that even more than the color blobs. The blobs were distracting, but the fainter text made it harder for me to read.
Barty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #90
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Barty - The firmware on my newest one is the same as I had on my previous PW's, 5.2.0.

On another note, the serial number on this one starts with B01B as compared to BO24 on all my other PW's.