Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-01-2018, 09:05 PM   #106
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
I really like that the Kindle Oasis 2 is 7 inches, any bigger might get too heavy especially if they make a bigger battery for it. I have 8 & 9 inch tablets, so I would like my e ink readers to stay lighter.
The Oasis 2, has a metallic-plastic back, which is a good tradeoff between strength and lightweight.
I can see in the future, the e-readers having flexible e-ink screens, with just the screen sandwiched in between a touchscreen interface, and a plastic back, taking off another few oz off the final product; while the battery compartment will look more and more like a handle (round).

With the right manufacturing, the future of e-ink devices, weight should definitely not be an issue, and closer to the weight of a small novel.
Anyway, the weight of most e-ink readers (aka Kindle, paperwhite, Nook, etc...) should be lighter in weight, and easier to handle, than most paper books.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:42 AM   #107
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
The Oasis 2, has a metallic-plastic back, which is a good tradeoff between strength and lightweight.
What plastic are you talking about? Like under the hood where you cannot see? The only plastic you can actually touch is the buttons and the antenna cover on the cellular version.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2018, 04:33 PM   #108
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
What plastic are you talking about? Like under the hood where you cannot see? The only plastic you can actually touch is the buttons and the antenna cover on the cellular version.
The back of the oasis is (some sort of) anodized plastic. Not full metal.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:02 PM   #109
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The back of the oasis is (some sort of) anodized plastic. Not full metal.
Source please.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:53 AM   #110
nikkers
tragic
nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPAQ classic
I fired up my Oasis Chrisie Day ...charged it up 4 times so far . read 3-4 hours a day sometimes more. My paper white lasts for a month to 6 weeks. I only bought this as I find buttons easier reading than touch.As said... very expensive for a weak battery. Has kindle become more unstable, seem to be updating much more than previously?
nikkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2018, 07:49 AM   #111
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkers View Post
Has kindle become more unstable, seem to be updating much more than previously?
No, just buttening up new features for the new Oasis. Software was not done by time production started. And looks like they still did not get everything done by release, so 2nd update shortly after.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:24 PM   #112
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
So, as an update, I think I have my Oasis settled to a pretty good battery life. I charged it yesterday, and unplugged it just before going to bed. I read for about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes before falling asleep, and then for an additional hour when I woke up. With wifi on and the light level set at 9, the battery went from 100% to 94%. That adds up to about 2% for ~30 minutes of reading, or about 25 hours per charge.

I'm satisfied with that

Shari
That's pretty good battery life on the Oasis 2. I wish I could do that as well, but I need to have the brightness set a bit higher on 12-14 range. 12 at night when I do most of my reading. Still trying to find what works best for me, while keeping wifi off.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:28 PM   #113
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
I can see in the future, the e-readers having flexible e-ink screens, with just the screen sandwiched in between a touchscreen interface, and a plastic back, taking off another few oz off the final product; while the battery compartment will look more and more like a handle (round).

With the right manufacturing, the future of e-ink devices, weight should definitely not be an issue, and closer to the weight of a small novel.
Anyway, the weight of most e-ink readers (aka Kindle, paperwhite, Nook, etc...) should be lighter in weight, and easier to handle, than most paper books.
We can certainly hope that future devices will be better. I know I do.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:38 AM   #114
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Source please.
2 sources:
1- internet
2- my own hands.

Just feel the weight, and how quickly it warms up to the touch.
If it was aluminum, or solid steel, it would take longer to warm up, and weigh more.
They'd not be the first to use metals with plastic.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:19 PM   #115
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
2 sources:
1- internet
2- my own hands.

Just feel the weight, and how quickly it warms up to the touch.
If it was aluminum, or solid steel, it would take longer to warm up, and weigh more.
They'd not be the first to use metals with plastic.
Could you please be more specific then "the internet"? Last time I looked, I believe "the internet" (Amazon) said it was anodized aluminum.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:18 PM   #116
Sonicboom
Enthusiast
Sonicboom began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis 2
The battery life is not the best thing on Oasis2 but personally its a miles ahead my phone, so if I charge phone I can charge Oasis2
Sonicboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:18 PM   #117
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Could you please be more specific then "the internet"? Last time I looked, I believe "the internet" (Amazon) said it was anodized aluminum.
Exactly. If you don't link it, it didn't happen. Anodized plastic doesn't even make sense - cannot be done. I could see coating plastic in a very thin layer of aluminum, and then anodizing that. A very slim maybe if you can make enough of the plastic survive.

Now I don't argue that there is 2 layers involved in the back plate. By looking at the edges from the front it might be solid aluminum outer shell pressed into a plastic layer. My calibers say the aluminum is approximately 1.0 mm thick with another millimeter or three of plastic visible on the inside. 1 mm is pretty substantial and solid, IMO. Compared to e-coat paint which thickness can be measured in microns.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:03 PM   #118
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I wonder if I should let the battery discharge 100% before charging again? I hea that helps battery life? I do not knw if thats true or not?
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:11 PM   #119
vostro
Connoisseur
vostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Scribe,Elipsa,PWSE,FORMA,KOA2,KV,KA1, KAH2O, PW1-4, KA, AKT,
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I wonder if I should let the battery discharge 100% before charging again? I hea that helps battery life? I do not knw if thats true or not?
https://lifehacker.com/5875162/how-o...g-its-lifespan

Instead of discharging to 0% all the time, lithium-ion batteries do best when you discharge them for a little bit, then charge them for a little bit. The table below, from Battery University, shows that discharges to 50% are better for your battery's long-term life than, say, small discharges to 90% or large discharges to 0% (since the 50% discharges provide the best number of cycles-to-usage ratio).
vostro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 03:31 PM   #120
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I noticed bestbuy.com deleted all the negative reviews and comments about battery life. Now they have a perfect 5 star rTing
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery life, koa2