Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-12-2017, 04:52 PM   #271
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I believe that value is set when K4PC launches and checked each time a book is downloaded. So if you launch the program, use regedit to set it true, and then download a book you should get KFX format.

(It is an odd implementation. If the value is set to false then K4PC pretends to be an older build of the software when it requests the book from the server so that it doesn't get KFX.)
I'll give it a shot. I'm just wondering what about the system makes K4PC believe it's incapable of supporting KFX? There's been no previous versions installed on this VM. I'd be curious to know what's being tested.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:05 PM   #272
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I believe that value is set when K4PC launches and checked each time a book is downloaded. So if you launch the program, use regedit to set it true, and then download a book you should get KFX format.
Got one on the second try by setting the registry value to "true" after the program was launched. But interestingly enough, the book cannot be rendered by Kindle for PC. Something lacking in Virtualbox's virtual graphics driver if I had to wager a guess. Well at least we know there's a reason it checks first. I guess I just never imagined there would be such graphics-intensive prerequisites to be able to display a KFX book on a PC.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2017, 02:55 PM   #273
DLTreads
DLTreads began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Wow,jhowell, thanks so much for this solution! I had not updated my library since before this heinous change and was more than dumbfounded when my import ground to a screeching halt.
DLTreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:00 PM   #274
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
I gave up since Calibre can't convert a drm kfx and I have only kobo devices. I asked for a refund (hopefully it will work since it was an expensive book), and will buy it from kobo - more expensive, but no problem of this type. How can I know before buying if it is kfx? A number of books can only be found on Amazon who "owns" their authors.

Edit: I went back to it and saw "enhanced typesetting enabled". I'd forgotten I should have looked for that.

Last edited by anacreon; 11-14-2017 at 12:09 PM.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:16 PM   #275
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I gave up since Calibre can't convert a drm kfx and I have only kobo devices. I asked for a refund (hopefully it will work since it was an expensive book), and will buy it from kobo - more expensive, but no problem of this type. How can I know before buying if it is kfx? A number of books can only be found on Amazon who "owns" their authors.

Edit: I went back to it and saw "enhanced typesetting enabled". I'd forgotten I should have looked for that.
You can download the book with "Kindle for PC" or "Kindle for Mac" and get a KF8 version of it that way.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2017, 12:29 PM   #276
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You can download the book with "Kindle for PC" or "Kindle for Mac" and get a KF8 version of it that way.
Unfortunately, though I did download with the 1.17 kindle for PC, it still was a KFX version, which was unconvertible because of DRM.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:32 PM   #277
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Unfortunately, though I did download with the 1.17 kindle for PC, it still was a KFX version, which was unconvertible because of DRM.
Did you apply the remedy described in the first post in this thread, whose specific purpose is to tell you how to deal with the issue? "Method 2" is what you need.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:56 PM   #278
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Method 2 worked like a charm (although as a superuser). I did have to remove the kfx manually though, Kindle for Mac still recognised the book as being present.

Thanks a bunch for this.
Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:17 PM   #279
anacreon
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Did you apply the remedy described in the first post in this thread, whose specific purpose is to tell you how to deal with the issue? "Method 2" is what you need.
I saw it, but had no idea how to open a "command window". I just now looked it up on internet, and it seemed a bit complex for me. Should I look for the French equivalent or is it always in English?

Since I returned the book, I wouldn't have something to test it on at the moment, so this is moot presently.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:55 PM   #280
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I saw it, but had no idea how to open a "command window". I just now looked it up on internet, and it seemed a bit complex for me. Should I look for the French equivalent or is it always in English?

Since I returned the book, I wouldn't have something to test it on at the moment, so this is moot presently.
5 méthodes pour ouvrir l’invite de commandes sur Windows 10
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:00 PM   #281
anacreon
Guru

Merci.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:01 AM   #282
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Version 1.17 can't download KFX. Either it updated to a later version. Or the book needed to be removed and redownloaded.

Alternatively, method 2 is just renaming a file and can be accomplished without the command window. Copy this into the File Explorer address bar:

%localappdata%\Amazon\Kindle\application\

Left-click renderer-test.exe and rename it renderer-test.xxx.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:11 PM   #283
oscarmanrique
oscarmanrique began at the beginning.

Kindle 1.7 for Mac Link not working

Has anyone succeeded in downloading this version from the link provided in this forum? I tried accessing it only to reach an error page with an 'access denied' line.

Are there any other sources to get it other than Amazon? Regards.
oscarmanrique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:34 PM   #284
oscarmanrique
oscarmanrique began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarmanrique View Post
Has anyone succeeded in downloading this version from the link provided in this forum? I tried accessing it only to reach an error page with an 'access denied' line.

Are there any other sources to get it other than Amazon? Regards.
Well... I finally found a site where the installer is available. See here:

http://mac.filehorse.com/download-kindle-for-mac/7314/
oscarmanrique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:35 AM   #285
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

There's really no need to use 1.17. The current version 1.21.1 works just fine with the fix described in the first post in this thread.

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc