Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 12-09-2014, 06:14 PM   #1
pdrapoza
pdrapoza began at the beginning.

Device: none
Calibre2\ebook-viewer.exe

Hi, I have a couple questions about ebook-viewer in Caliber:

I have more than played around with the concept of .html formatted actual books (mostly Public Domain content). I can use a Java called up book sized browser to "almost" come up with a viable reader but the pagination (clicking or key based) is sloppy on all major browsers. Caliber's ebook-reader does a great job of display and functionality on .html formatting (basic and CSS).

Is it possible to disconnect the reader from the Caliber main package as a separate viable reader for html formatted books and what Caliber files would be needed for it to operate properly (in an html context)? I tried separating the ebook-viewer.exe on Win 7 but it won't work as there are obviously associated dll's and files that go with it. I'm sure it is the same on other operating systems.

A stand alone Caliber reader (esp. html) would be great all around with an upgrade to the full Caliber package as needed to convert to other formats. I know a lot of so called "3rd world" people with likely a great deal to contribute to society but they lack tech understanding to do that. I can teach someone to basically html format a book or article in 5 minutes but the complicated diversity of other eBook formats is staggering to them... Thanks for hearing me out. Any constructive input would be appreciated or other options for an html reader that can be acquired easily.
pdrapoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:17 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
calibre can be acquired easily.

The ebook-viewer.exe executable is a binary wrapper that launches a bundled copy of python and imports the calibre module. You cannot decouple it, because the code which the viewer uses is shared amongst all the various components.

Just have them install calibre and use the standalone E-Book Viewer shortcut to read books, they can ignore the library.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2014, 07:40 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
there is a fine Firefox EPUB reader plugin in the forum down below here.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=211
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook-reader, html ebook