Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-17-2018, 10:01 AM   #121
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I really like this font too. Prior to Amazon adding custom fonts to the Kindles, I was embedding it in all of my AZW files so I could use Dejavu Serif Eink as the publisher font.
So was I. Works well with nightmode, too.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:29 AM   #122
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
Can anyone post a sample of this font?
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:52 AM   #123
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumadona View Post
It is a nice font, but way to bold as you can see in the preview.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Font.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	164503  
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:11 PM   #124
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Ohhh, the dejavu is looking really good on my big Oasis. I don't find it too bold, but I do have to turn down the boldness. I usually read boldness on #2 when using bookerly and on 0 or #1, dejavu looks about the same as bookerly on #2.

I can also use the same #4 size on dejavu as I do on bookerly, but for the others I tried, I'd have to go to #5, which is then a tad too large for me.

Thanks everyone that has been posting these fonts. For someone like me that never did any fiddling with her kindles and would not have had any idea where to start and what are good fonts, it has been very helpful.

I am going to read further with dejavu for now, its pretty.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 03:00 PM   #125
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumadona View Post
Not the best pictures in the world, but here is this font (very nice font) with Bold setting at "zero" and text sizes 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. The line width is in the middle setting on this particular book (converted from ePub). (This is on my 8th Generation Kindle "Basic.")
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180617_135424.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	928.2 KB
ID:	164514   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180617_135439.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	927.7 KB
ID:	164515   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180617_135450.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	810.0 KB
ID:	164516   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180617_135504.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	900.4 KB
ID:	164517   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180617_135517.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	800.8 KB
ID:	164518  

Last edited by rcentros; 06-17-2018 at 03:03 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 03:10 PM   #126
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I am going to read further with dejavu for now, its pretty.
Me too. I like Constantia a lot (which is also a dark font that I use at "0" Bold setting) but Dejavu Serif looks better (so far).

I'm very happy Kindle is now allowing custom fonts. Much nicer choices now.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:00 PM   #127
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is odd. On my big Oasis, the dejavu font doesn't look that bold at all and I have it still set at #1 boldness.

Let me see if I can get a photo on. I am very very bad at taking pics though.

sorry, I can't upload. It keeps telling me page not found or some thing. Can't remember the exact wording. Something error 500.

But it is not as bold as the photo up thread shows on my Oasis. Could it be the resolution of the devices? I don't know what the basic 8 is right off my head. I have a basic, but mine is older and still has buttons and I know it uses a lower resolution. But then that one wouldn't have these updates anyway.

eta: Ok got the pic up. I have no idea why my Oasis looks so wavy on the edges. Its perfectly straight in real life. Like I said, I have no skills taking pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2018-06-17 14.54.14.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	694.0 KB
ID:	164519  

Last edited by Atunah; 06-17-2018 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:41 PM   #128
Pyjam
Zealot
Pyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kindle Voyage
If you like Linux Libertine, you might like EB Garamond too.

Using bold 2:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EB_Garamond.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	778.7 KB
ID:	164521  
Pyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:31 PM   #129
Atunah
Wizard

That is a pretty one too Pyjam.

Its funny, but I never really cared too much about the fonts on my kindles until the lighted ones. I always found the fonts to be a bit light or thin. Once they gave me bold I was really happy. That is really the main thing I was missing.

But its really kind of fun now to play with other fonts without having to do any kind of fiddling or "jail breaking".
Old 06-17-2018, 09:03 PM   #130
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
I'm using a slightly metrics-altered (to better match the sizing of stock Bookerly) version of EB Garamond, myself

It's my favorite of the free fonts. Being able to use the bolding slider really makes all the difference!

I'm so glad Amazon has finally given us these options to use. That was the only thing (other than Pocket integration) that I vastly preferred about Kobos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screenshot_2018_06_17T20_56_51-0400.png
Views:	339
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	164522  
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:21 PM   #131
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks so much - it looks great! I’ve got to try this.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:58 AM   #132
Plumadona
Groupie

Thanks again to all who posted screen shots and links. I have both DejaVu Serif I-Ink and ChareInk on my Oasis 2 and couldn't be happier. My eyes need all the help they can get and both of these fonts are easier for me to read. You folks rock!

Last edited by Plumadona; 06-18-2018 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 06-18-2018, 10:24 AM   #133
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekk View Post
I use this one on my Kobo. Wonderful work, Jon! But on my Oasis it is bolder than I like, even with boldness set to zero. Charis SIL Mali is slightly thinner, so it is easier for me to find a pleasant boldness setting.
Download the version of CaheInk that has no weight added to it and set the weight on your Oasis with the boldness setting.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:09 PM   #134
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Download the version of CaheInk that has no weight added to it and set the weight on your Oasis with the boldness setting.
I thought I had used the no weight version, but I must have mixed up the fonts. ChareInk-NoWeight-NoHinting is perfect. Thank you, Jon! Again
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:49 PM   #135
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
That is odd. On my big Oasis, the dejavu font doesn't look that bold at all and I have it still set at #1 boldness.

Let me see if I can get a photo on. I am very very bad at taking pics though.

sorry, I can't upload. It keeps telling me page not found or some thing. Can't remember the exact wording. Something error 500.

But it is not as bold as the photo up thread shows on my Oasis. Could it be the resolution of the devices? I don't know what the basic 8 is right off my head. I have a basic, but mine is older and still has buttons and I know it uses a lower resolution. But then that one wouldn't have these updates anyway.

eta: Ok got the pic up. I have no idea why my Oasis looks so wavy on the edges. Its perfectly straight in real life. Like I said, I have no skills taking pictures.
Ooh, I really like that one!
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote