Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-30-2015, 10:49 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Your Favorite 5-inch e-ink ebook reader?

Howdy.

There have been a number of them, to include:

1) Kobo Mini
2) PRS-350
3) PRS-300
4) Pocket 360+
5) Pocket 360
6) Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
7) Cybook Opus
8) Elonix 511
9) Sovos SVEBK5B
10) HanLin V5
11) Hanvon 516
12) Hanvon 518
13) Libre

Let's stick to e-ink, please. Did I miss any?

I still own the Kobo Mini and the Pocket 360 [for some strange reason, it's sitting unused in a drawer]. I'll occasionally use the Kobo Mini if I'm just sitting around the house. Sometimes, I'll take it with me.

I used to own the Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro.

The easiest one to hold was the Pocket 360, whereas the easiest one to use is the Kobo Mini.

The Astak was a pain to use epub, but I very much enjoyed the turn wheel (for turning pages).

What's your favorite one?
What fond memories do you have for these antiquated - and quaint - devices?

NOTE:
Any posts not on e-ink devices will be deleted. See the Subject Heading if you're confused.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-30-2015 at 10:53 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:58 PM   #2
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I still have an Aztak Pocket Pro and a PRS-35O. I liked the features of the Pocket Pro, and if one was made today with the screen quality of the Kobo H2O I would add it to my collection.

Last edited by Phogg; 01-30-2015 at 03:16 PM.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2015, 02:10 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
I still have an Aztak Pocket Pro and a PRS-35O. I liked the features of the Pocket Pro, and if one was made today with the screen quality of the Kobe H2O I would add it to my collection.

I would, too.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:19 PM   #4
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I have a sony350 in the bedroom for reading before bed. Nice and light and no touchscreen to mess things up when I lay it down.
I just hope it keeps alive for a couple more years...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:58 PM   #5
HarryHutton
Connoisseur
HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Voyage, Samsung Note 10.1, Nook Simple Touch, M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
I have a sony350 in the bedroom for reading before bed. Nice and light and no touchscreen to mess things up when I lay it down.
I just hope it keeps alive for a couple more years...
Always thought this would be nicer - but do you mind that there's no dictionary feature?

Specifically - does the security of having no touchscreen outweigh the lack of dictionary feature for you?

I personally find the dictionary feature difficult to go back from - even when reading on paper I find myself occasionally trying to press and look up things haha.

ON TOPIC:
Big fan of the Kobo - trendy design! A lot of the other e-reader brands just seem cluttered to me - both hardware and software. Kobo keeps it clean.
HarryHutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2015, 03:14 PM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I still have several Sony PRS-350s, and they're still the reader I compare all others to. If it wasn't for really wanting the built-in front light so I could stop carrying around a light and extra batteries, I'd still be using the 350s, but I've switch to Kobo Glo for the light. If I had my druthers, I'd have a front-lit 350 though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHutton View Post
Always thought this would be nicer - but do you mind that there's no dictionary feature?
The 350s definitely have included dictionaries. Possibly touch was shut off with PRS+ (I think that's one of the many features) and you meant that he couldn't then bring up the dictionary without using the touchscreen?
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:31 PM   #7
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I still have several Sony PRS-350s, and they're still the reader I compare all others to. If it wasn't for really wanting the built-in front light so I could stop carrying around a light and extra batteries, I'd still be using the 350s, but I've switch to Kobo Glo for the light. If I had my druthers, I'd have a front-lit 350 though.

The 350s definitely have included dictionaries. Possibly touch was shut off with PRS+ (I think that's one of the many features) and you meant that he couldn't then bring up the dictionary without using the touchscreen?

Yep, it is PRS'd. So it does have a dictionary.
And not to toot my own horn, but there are very few words in the Mack Bolan books that I don't know. Action/thrillers aren't heavy on being Literary :-)
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:49 PM   #8
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Since it's the only 5inch reader I own I'll have to say my Kobo Mini. But actually it's one of my favourites in any case. It sits in my coat pocket and goes everywhere with me.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:06 PM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I have two 350s and a Kobo Mini. The 350s still see daily use and the Mini gathers dust.

One of the 350s lives in my purse; it's my go-everywhere reader. I have the lit cover for the other and it's my nightstand reader. The Mini, on the other hand... I've never been able to get it to play nice with Calibre so that my books would appear on shelves when I sideloaded them and I dislike the home page. Moreover, all that plastic just feels so cheesy compared to the sleek 350s.

The X50s were a revelation to me. Readers should be either 5" or 7", the one for portability, the other for maximum readability. I suppose one of these days when my 950 kicks it, I'll have to get the H20, but I dread it. Chancy device with dreadful customer service (and I've had a wonky Glo, so I know whereof I speak), my inability to marry it to Calibre.... It will be a dark, dark day.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:21 PM   #10
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post

The X50s were a revelation to me. Readers should be either 5" or 7", the one for portability, the other for maximum readability. I suppose one of these days when my 950 kicks it, I'll have to get the H20, but I dread it. Chancy device with dreadful customer service (and I've had a wonky Glo, so I know whereof I speak), my inability to marry it to Calibre.... It will be a dark, dark day.
I own both, a prs 350 and a kobo aura. The aura is only very slightly larger, thanks to much slimer bezels and no page turn buttons.

That said, the sony is a very nice reader that feels and looks of quality.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:05 AM   #11
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I'm not a fan of cases and adding bulk to my ereaders, so what I loved about my Sony 350 is how small & slim it is to hold, even in its Sony cover. Unfortunately in anything other than bright conditions the screen looks really poor after getting used to my PW2.

For a while I was taking it to work with me to use, but due to the murkiness of the screen, I've been taking the PW instead so regrettably its starting to gather dust in my drawer. Don't think I could get rid of it tho, whereas I'll probably sell or give away my old K3 eventually.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:23 AM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Pocketbook 360.
No case needed.
Might have been pocketbook's peak.

Still ticking...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:31 AM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I have tried quite a few 5" readers. The only one I still have is the Kobo Mini. I love the size and look of it. But I hardly ever use it, due to the lack of light. I find myself grabbing the slightly larger Kobo Aura instead, although the screen on the Mini is better! So I should go back to using it, unless I am going out in the dark.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:25 PM   #14
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
For me:
Sony PRS-350

I still love my Sony readers.
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:28 PM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

If I were doing a poll, it would appear that the Sony PRS-350 would come out on top.