Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-31-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Gembird to launch EnerGenie ePP2, a 9.7-inch E Ink reader with a twist

It's been a long time coming, but word hit the street (in German) that Gembird is going to launch their EnerGenie ePP2 e-reader at the IFA conference next week. Actually, e-reader is not the right term. Rather they call it an "e-paper printer", based on its capability to function as a printer. It works by connecting the reader, uh, printer, to a computer via USB, where it's then being recognized as a printer. When you print a document, it will be automatically stored onto the device.

Down to the details:
  • Display: 9.7-inch E-Ink, 1600 x 1200 pixels
  • CPU: 800 MHz
  • RAM: 256 MB
  • Storage: 4 GB, expandable to up to 32 GB (microSD)
  • Battery: 2350 mAh
  • Dimensions: 270 x 188 x 11.5 mm
  • Weight: 600 g
  • Price: rumored to be around EUR 399 and EUR 499

Below is a video showing the EnerGenie in action:

Last edited by Nate the great; 08-31-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
How is this device better than dragging and dropping a document onto the eReader?

This print function for the device sounds like a gimmick.

The only good feature is the large 9.7-inch E-Ink screen, but is very expensive at $659.08 American dollars.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
How is this device better than dragging and dropping a document onto the eReader?

This print function for the device sounds like a gimmick.

The only good feature is the large 9.7-inch E-Ink screen, but is very expensive at $659.08 American dollars.
What's even stranger is that this is Gembird's second attempt at the ereader-as-printer idea. The first showed up at CES 2012, but I never heard of anyone who bought it.

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...w-9-7-ereader/
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
alvina
Connoisseur
alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
It shouln't be a big problem to print anything into a PDF file and to put it onto an E-Ink device. It's a nice marketing idea to call it an e-paper printer. That makes it easier for people in a bureau to justify and to buy such a device. So you can explain your chief that it's sort of a printer and that it would save money. In a bureau you need such explanations. Well done.
alvina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvina View Post
It shouln't be a big problem to print anything into a PDF file and to put it onto an E-Ink device. It's a nice marketing idea to call it an e-paper printer. That makes it easier for people in a bureau to justify and to buy such a device. So you can explain your chief that it's sort of a printer and that it would save money. In a bureau you need such explanations. Well done.
Agreed.
Personally, I welcome a reader with double the screen definition of current larger readers.
But I regret the lack of a front-light, and the absence of the new flash-less technology from E-Ink that is available on the new Kobo Aura. I could have bought it. Too bad !
A more recent version of Android would also help, although it is not crucial.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
gamba66
Zealot
gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanvon E920
Hi guys, I own the Hanvon E920, which this is simply a rebrand of!

this function is standard in the updates such as connecting an usb keyboard!

But believe me 200 ppi, capacitive touchscreen and pen functionality is very nice, also even though the firmware is winsows ce it runs very fluid!

The main difference is the android firmware but the hardware and specs are exactly the same!
gamba66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamba66 View Post

this function is standard in the updates such as connecting an usb keyboard!

But believe me 200 ppi, capacitive touchscreen and pen functionality is very nice, also even though the firmware is winsows ce it runs very fluid!

The main difference is the android firmware but the hardware and specs are exactly the same!
It's be interesting to see if you could reflash your Hanvon E920 (win ce) with the firmware of the ePP2. That is, if Android offered any benefits in this case.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:28 PM   #8
gamba66
Zealot
gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanvon E920
Yes I am also interested in the android firmware, at first sight of the article I didnt see the firmware was even android to be honest!

I have to say I am very pleased with the firmware being windows ce since it runs very stable and fluent, also the zooming options for pdfs are great (even has glyph embolden)

The negatives though is the epub compability, some epubs wont work and font options are limited, mobi and so on works fine but font option applies too.

Because I use the reader mainly for pdfs I am very satisfied also with the battery time

If android has any improvements and not drawbacks like the first onyx android reader (alot less battery time rough firmware) I would consider buying it Probably I wont but this reader in germany could bring better support for replacement parts in germany (mainly the battery)

BTW I live in germany and I could visit the IFA with my reader to do a comparison!

Lets also see if they kept the dual touch! Could be like the jetbook color where you cab only use the stylus for input

EDIT: in the video you can see it still has the dual touch

Last edited by gamba66; 09-01-2013 at 05:37 AM.
gamba66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:18 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I think it's a brilliant idea. While the same could be done by printing to PDF and then transferring the document, that's an extra step that isn't obvious to many, or even very easy (on Windows).

But I'm not sure that a 9.7" screen is really big enough. And connecting by USB is so passé. Wireless printers are all the rage now, and it would make much more sense, and be so much easier, if it acted as a wireless printer, over bluetooth if Wifi is too power hungry.

I can certainly see this functionality being added to other large format ebook readers.

Last edited by pdurrant; 09-01-2013 at 10:45 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamba66 View Post
Gamba66, did you ever manage to move scribbles from your E920 to a pc? I am having trouble doing this on my Hanvon N800, which is the only reason I haven't bought the E920 yet.

(Sorry to be slightly off topic but I haven't been able to get hold of gamba66 via PM, and I REALLY need this info)
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #11
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
So in a manner of speaking it is a printer, but instead of printing, it does something else. In that sense, I suppose everything is a printer.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote