Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 08-12-2016, 09:45 AM   #1
Steve_Haley
CC iOS Developer
Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Variety phones/tablets
CC iOS alpha 2

Hi everyone,

A few things have been slowing down our progress on CC iOS, but we're finally about ready to start the next alpha phase! The content server is nearly ready, and I'd like to test that with a few people starting on Wednesday.

Unless some of our previous testers would like to opt out, we'll stick with the relatively small crowd we have so far. There will be much bigger testing runs needed later on during this project, and I'd like to not use up everyone's willingness to test too soon. I'll make another post here if it turns out we do need more people.

Thanks!
Steve_Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:04 AM   #2
Steve_Haley
CC iOS Developer
Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.

I've just sent out another version for alpha-2. This one contains a lot of missing UI from Wednesday's version, such as download progress indicators on the content server.
Advert
Old 08-19-2016, 11:11 AM   #3
LinJean57
LinJean57 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
So excited for this! Will keep an eye on this thread for any requests for more testers.

I've got a few thousand books in calibre, for me and my kids. They have kindle fires (with Calibre Companion) but I have an iPad 2 (and have used various ebook apps with opds support) and it annoys the heck out of me to have a different workflow for distributing books/updates. Would just prefer to use the reading list plugin for all of us. Plus, a way for me to mark books as read on my iPad and sync back to calibre would be fan-frickin-tastic. I've even considered buying my own kindle just for reading (but know my husband would seriously eyeroll me there).
LinJean57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:11 PM   #4
Steve_Haley
CC iOS Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinJean57 View Post
So excited for this! Will keep an eye on this thread for any requests for more testers.
Glad to hear that. At the moment we don't need more testers since bugs have been so far fairly easy to spot. Once there's a version a bit more ready for the public (such as one that doesn't crash regularly or duplicate books every time you download ), we'll get more testers involved.

--

Testers: Speaking of those crashing and duplicating bugs: I just sent out another version. Please let me know if you still have the issues.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:59 PM   #5
Richarr
Richarr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Hi, you know when it will be available to the public?
Richarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2016, 04:45 AM   #6
Steve_Haley
CC iOS Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richarr View Post
Hi, you know when it will be available to the public?
I don't have a specific date in mind, but I'm hoping to get it done by the end of September. I'll certainly make a point of announcing something closer to the time.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:20 PM   #7
thomasmorus
Connoisseur
thomasmorus began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Hi Steve
any update on the CC for IOS? I would really appricate it if it was ready (at least for betatest) at the end of September (going on vacation in October and really wanted to switch to CC on my Ipad)

Thanks and best regards

Thomas
thomasmorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:11 AM   #8
Steve_Haley
CC iOS Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasmorus View Post
Hi Steve
any update on the CC for IOS? I would really appricate it if it was ready (at least for betatest) at the end of September (going on vacation in October and really wanted to switch to CC on my Ipad)

Thanks and best regards

Thomas
Hi Thomas, I think we're still on track for being ready towards the end of the month. It feels like we've got everything in except for the cloud connection and some of the more obscure settings. The cloud connection is hardly used on Android so we'll launch without, and build that in the next release. As for the settings, we're just trying to get the right balance of offering users enough control but avoiding some which aren't as relevant on iOS. (For example, iOS heavily restricts how a user can browse the files on the device, so some of the controls around file naming templates might not be needed. I'm still looking into this though.)
Old 09-14-2016, 07:38 AM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Haley View Post
(For example, iOS heavily restricts how a user can browse the files on the device, so some of the controls around file naming templates might not be needed. I'm still looking into this though.)
Assuming that the iOS product still uses the lpath as the calibre identifier, you might need the templates to be sure that a book gets the same lpath no matter what connection is used. This helps prevent duplicates. I have no idea if it matters on iOS for reader app-level syncing. It certainly does on Android.

The template stuff is also used for renaming, which may not be very visible to the user but should be quite visible to CC (lpath again).
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:12 PM   #10
JoeyKray
JoeyKray began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro 12.1
Hi, would I be able to get an invite to the alpha? Currently using iPad Pro 12.1 inch.
JoeyKray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:24 AM   #11
Steve_Haley
CC iOS Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyKray View Post
Hi, would I be able to get an invite to the alpha? Currently using iPad Pro 12.1 inch.
Hi Joey; send me a private message with your email address. I'll then send you an invite to Crashlytics, which is the system we're using to test the app. You'll have to create an account and then register your device on the account. Assuming you register in time, you'll then get a download link later this week when we send the next version out. (You won't be able to download the app right away. You have to wait until I send out the download link later on.)

(PS: this was the thread for the second round of testing; there's a newer one for the 3rd round.)