Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-12-2015, 09:23 PM   #1
runninglife
runninglife can differentiate black from dark navy bluerunninglife can differentiate black from dark navy bluerunninglife can differentiate black from dark navy bluerunninglife can differentiate black from dark navy bluerunninglife can differentiate black from dark navy bluerunninglife can differentiate black from dark navy bluerunninglife can differentiate black from dark navy bluerunninglife can differentiate black from dark navy bluerunninglife can differentiate black from dark navy bluerunninglife can differentiate black from dark navy bluerunninglife can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
only one week, the screen is out of work!!!

I have used very carefully。 but only one week.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150312_173616.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	135892
runninglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:42 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
No obvious fracture in the picture so it might be one of those rare cases where you have a bad controller. Good news is that if that's the case it should be covered by warranty.

A broken substrate (not covered by warranty) will typically have a diagonal or curved line somewhere on the screen that I'm not spotting yet on this one. With only straight vertical/horizontal lines it's more likely a bad controller or other hardware issue.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2015, 10:48 PM   #3
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Then contact whoever you bought it from or Kobo and organise a replacement! You either haven't used it as carefully as you thought or you were unlucky enough to get a "lemon". It is apparent from the lack of complaining posts in this forum and elsewhere on the net that there is no problem with the production quality of the H2O. If the point of your post is to suggest that people not buy one on the strength of your experience alone, then I don't see any reasonable person following your suggestion. If you think that someone is going to wave their magic wand and fix your screen, once again you are wasting your time. I know it is annoying. I myself would be angry and disappointed. But you must nevertheless be realistic, accept that you have been unlucky and organise a replacement.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:03 PM   #4
runninglife
runninglife can differentiate black from dark navy bluerunninglife can differentiate black from dark navy bluerunninglife can differentiate black from dark navy bluerunninglife can differentiate black from dark navy bluerunninglife can differentiate black from dark navy bluerunninglife can differentiate black from dark navy bluerunninglife can differentiate black from dark navy bluerunninglife can differentiate black from dark navy bluerunninglife can differentiate black from dark navy bluerunninglife can differentiate black from dark navy bluerunninglife can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
No obvious fracture in the picture so it might be one of those rare cases where you have a bad controller. Good news is that if that's the case it should be covered by warranty.

A broken substrate (not covered by warranty) will typically have a diagonal or curved line somewhere on the screen that I'm not spotting yet on this one. With only straight vertical/horizontal lines it's more likely a bad controller or other hardware issue.

thank you very much.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:05 PM   #5
runninglife

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Then contact whoever you bought it from or Kobo and organise a replacement! You either haven't used it as carefully as you thought or you were unlucky enough to get a "lemon". It is apparent from the lack of complaining posts in this forum and elsewhere on the net that there is no problem with the production quality of the H2O. If the point of your post is to suggest that people not buy one on the strength of your experience alone, then I don't see any reasonable person following your suggestion. If you think that someone is going to wave their magic wand and fix your screen, once again you are wasting your time. I know it is annoying. I myself would be angry and disappointed. But you must nevertheless be realistic, accept that you have been unlucky and organise a replacement.
I have contacted the seller.

I just have a bad mood.
And I have really used very carefully.
Advert
Old 03-13-2015, 12:36 AM   #6
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by runninglife View Post
I have contacted the seller.

I just have a bad mood.
And I have really used very carefully.
Don't blame you about the bad mood. Best of luck getting a replacement. Please post and let us know how you go though I do not expect you will have any further trouble.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:10 AM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
There was an instance here recently where the curved part of the substrate crack was just under the bezel, clearly visible once the device was taken apart. Fingers crossed yours is a defect rather than the fracture it is perhaps more likely to be.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:32 AM   #8
runninglife

anyone knows the email of kobo aftersales??
Old 03-14-2015, 10:58 AM   #9
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
There was an instance here recently where the curved part of the substrate crack was just under the bezel, clearly visible once the device was taken apart. Fingers crossed yours is a defect rather than the fracture it is perhaps more likely to be.
I think that may have been mine

Quote:
anyone knows the email of kobo aftersales??
I think I contacted Kobo through their website. Their reply to me though was sent from this address: help@kobobooks.com

Good luck! I hope you can get your H2O replaced!
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 05:56 PM   #10
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
I think that may have been mine
Actually, you never showed that you had any cracks in your screen.

It's just what was assumed all around (also by Kobo).
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:29 PM   #11
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Here's hoping runninglife has better luck with Kobo anyway
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:04 AM   #12
runninglife

the reply from kobo Japan:

Dear Customer,

This is Kobo Customer Care.
Thank you for your reply.
Also, thank you for sending us the copy of the file.

Confirming the information you gave us,
we are afraid to tell you that there is a limit for our warranty of Kobo Aura H2O.

The warranty only supports internal defects caused when reading Kobo eBooks purchased at Kobo Store.
If your error was caused by your original files, our warranty will not be applicable.
Also, the warranty covers the use and replacement inside of Japan.

To confirm your situation, please answer the following questions.

- What was your last operation before the problem occurred?:

- Your Kobo account ID (e-mail address) you used for signing in to your Kobo Aura H2O:

- Purchase # of Rakuten online shop or if possible, please attach a photo of your receipt:

We look forward your reply.

Yours sincerely,
Kobo Customer Care Japan
Old 03-16-2015, 06:41 AM   #13
runninglife

the previous email:
Dear Sir and Madam,

I have also done a manual factory reset as follows:
Reset #2 - For use on a device that can or cannot be powered on
1.Press and hold the power button for 5 to 6 seconds to turn it off
2.Press and hold the power button
3.With two fingers, simultaneously and repeatedly tap the bottom corners of the touch screen
4.Continue to tap the corners repeatedly until the device begins to reset
5.Complete the device setup after the reset completes

And reset successed. You can find the version file I copied from folder .kobo of H2O.
the device has been reseted to version 3.7.0

Best Regards,

Liu jun

2015-03-16
jowett_liu
sender: jowett_liu
sent date: 2015-03-16 10:05:41
received: "koboカスタマーケア"
topic: Re: 【Kobo】お問い合わせの件につきまして [インシデント: 150314-004316]
Dear Sir and Madam,

Thanks a lot for you reply.

I have operated according to your instructions.
But it still doesn't work.

More information:
1. I have mainly read my own files, e.g. epub and pdf files using aura H2O.
2. I purchased it on Rakuten online shop(http://books.rakuten.co.jp/event/e-b...oulumn_ereader ).

Best Regards,

Liu Jun

2015-03-15
jowett_liu@hotmail.com
sender: "koboカスタマーケア"
sent date: 2015-03-15 18:26:24
receiver: jowett_liu
topic: 【Kobo】お問い合わせの件につきまして [インシデント: 150314-004316]
件名
---------------------------------------------------------------
【Kobo】お問い合わせの件につきまして
これまでのスレッド
---------------------------------------------------------------
回答 メール送信担当者(M Ando) - 2015年03月15日 19:26
Dear Customer
Thank you for contacting Kobo Customer Care.
We deeply apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
While we do not have an after-sales shop in Japan, we are here to help you.
First, try the following steps, which may fix the issue:
------------------------------
1. Charge your device with the provided microUSB cable.
Make sure to connect for a whole day, to a running PC.
2. Press and hold the power switch located to the top of the device for 10 seconds.
Try this a few times.
3. On the bottom of your device, under the port cover is a small hole.
Insert a paperclip gently until you hit and press the reset switch.
------------------------------
If the above doesn't work, please reply for further assistance.
Please inform us thei following as well:
1. Do you mainly use the device to read Kobo ebooks or your own original files?
2. Where did you purchase the device?
Yours sincerely,
Kobo Customer Care Japan
Old 03-16-2015, 06:55 AM   #14
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by runninglife View Post
The warranty only supports internal defects caused when reading Kobo eBooks purchased at Kobo Store. If your error was caused by your original files, our warranty will not be applicable.
I hope that's a translation error because they can't possibly be serious that reading books purchased elsewhere voids warranty. Maybe you'd have more luck in returning it to the store where you bought it...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:30 PM   #15
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
I hope that's a translation error because they can't possibly be serious that reading books purchased elsewhere voids warranty. Maybe you'd have more luck in returning it to the store where you bought it...
This may just mean that Kobo isn't responsible for problems rendering non-Kobo books.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote