Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-28-2015, 09:41 AM   #1
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
K3 running v3.4 jailbreak help?

I thought I'd experiment with my old Kindle 3 and try jailbreaking it, but does the jailbreak work for the last firmware, version 3.4? Looking at the "Font, ScreenSaver & USBNetwork Hacks for Kindle 2.x, 3.x & 4.x" thread that contains the info/files for jailbreaking, it talks about versions 3.0 up to 3.3 and has the relevant files for those, but nothing about 3.4. And I found an unanswered post in this forum from someone who had asked about the jailbreak failing on his 3.4 Kindle?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:38 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Try it and see...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2015, 11:27 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Same answer as the last time: read everything carefully.

If no version window is specified, it's because there's no need for one, it works on everything currently available.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:45 AM   #4
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, I just went ahead and tried it after reading further and seeing mentions of 3.4 in the text files, and it of course works just fine.

Sorry, first attempt at jailbreaking anything, didn't want to muck it up!

Installed the screensaver hack so I can get the current book cover as my screensaver (wish I could do this for my PW2, but it auto-updated on me a while back). Not sure what else I want to do, might try the fonts next...

In saying that, at the moment this K3 is unregistered (I originally planned to give it away to a relative but instead I've loaned it out to a couple of people with a handful of DRM free books on it for them to try out). I could just re-register it to my own account but quite like the idea of having it as an "off radar" Kindle. Is there anything I need to do to it to help with that? Is there a simple way around registering to get collections to work? The thread I found in here looked like it involved a fair bit of work, and, well I think I'll take the easy option and just register it in that case!
Old 01-28-2015, 01:56 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The Kindle Collections plugin should work even without the jailbreak, for the K3.

It should work even when the Kindle is deregistered.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2015, 02:15 PM   #6
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
I am glad the screensaver hack worked for you. I just tried it a couple of days ago on my Kindle 3....I have had the K3 for 2 or 3 years and just now got up the nerve to try the jailbreak and I know how you felt about the mucking up fear! I put on some fun and funny screensavers and am enjoying them so much more than the wonky ones that came with the K3. Are you going to go for the fonts too??
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:17 AM   #7
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre

OK the Kindle Collections plugin works fine even without it being registered, thanks.

Kaysclie, glad you took the plunge and it worked ok for you too! I've waited until I upgraded to a PW2 and not even used my K3 for 6 months before attempting to jailbreak it. Who is the biggest scaredy-cat!

I have now installed KUAL and the font hack, not sure I will make much use of the font hack though, I've tried it and it looks a little different, but fonts aren't a biggie for me (though I do like the few extra fonts you get on the PW)...

All good fun though, and I like that I can see exactly what the battery is at now via one of the KUAL extensions too.