Notices

Old 12-16-2007, 07:14 AM   #1
pemilahu
CyBookeen Bubus
pemilahu began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook Gen3
Question SD Card won't work...

Dear All,

Last Friday was really a nice day for me: I received my brand new CyBook Gen3. It works fine , better than expected (based on posts I have already read here )...

However: my SD card won't work . If I connect my CyBook Gen3 to my laptop Windows XP Explorer hangs, MobiPocket Reader hangs and neither the main memory nor the SD card of my eBook reader is accessible. As soon as the SD card removed, everything is fine.

I have the Deluxe version with 2GB SD card from Bookeen.

I do hope the problem is in the SD card and not in my new toy, CyBook Gen3...

Anyone can help?
Thx
pemilahu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:43 AM   #2
ggendel
Connoisseur
ggendel is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook 3
If you have anything that can read an SD card, then you should be able to figure out whether it's the card or reader's problem. This includes a computer, pda, camera, digital picture frame, etc. Just plug it in and see if the device has an issue.

If you have a computer that accepts it, and doesn't see the contents, you might want to check the disk manager to see if it shows up. If so, it might just need to re-format the card.

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by pemilahu View Post
Dear All,

Last Friday was really a nice day for me: I received my brand new CyBook Gen3. It works fine , better than expected (based on posts I have already read here )...

However: my SD card won't work . If I connect my CyBook Gen3 to my laptop Windows XP Explorer hangs, MobiPocket Reader hangs and neither the main memory nor the SD card of my eBook reader is accessible. As soon as the SD card removed, everything is fine.

I have the Deluxe version with 2GB SD card from Bookeen.

I do hope the problem is in the SD card and not in my new toy, CyBook Gen3...

Anyone can help?
Thx
ggendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2007, 06:56 PM   #3
divory
divory began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, Gen3, Sony 700, Opus, PB360
SD card just hangs

I love the Gen3 -and I have had an iLiad for a year and a half (I was among the early ones) - and I find the Gen3 far, far better as an ebook. However I am confined to the internal memory for it just hangs if I put an SD card in the machine. The cards are OK - I have tried a few cards, all 2GB - but none seem to work. If I put the card in once the book is open then the SD card does not register on my computer.

Any ideas?

David
divory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:49 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by divory View Post
I love the Gen3 -and I have had an iLiad for a year and a half (I was among the early ones) - and I find the Gen3 far, far better as an ebook. However I am confined to the internal memory for it just hangs if I put an SD card in the machine. The cards are OK - I have tried a few cards, all 2GB - but none seem to work. If I put the card in once the book is open then the SD card does not register on my computer.

Any ideas?

David
I think the problem is that of dynamic mounting. Try shutting down the unit and see if the card works after that. Be sure the card is in when you boot up.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:35 AM   #5
divory
divory began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, Gen3, Sony 700, Opus, PB360
SD card

I have tried formatting both one and two gig cards, turning the book on with the card inserted or inserting it later with an identical effect - the book hangs as soon as the card is inserted or turned on. It is a great pity because I love the book and it really works as an ebook reader. I have tried all of them over the years and this is by far the best.

I have now gone back to Bookeen and since few have complained about this fault must only assume that it is a hardware failure.

However nothing will part me from it over the holidays!

David
divory is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2007, 08:23 AM   #6
pemilahu
CyBookeen Bubus
pemilahu began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook Gen3
Bad news: my SD card wokrs fine in my computer's card reader and a different SD card won't work in my CyBook hardware... I am totally disappointed: spent the big money, waited for many weeks and now I have a defective device.
pemilahu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:13 PM   #7
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by pemilahu View Post
Bad news: my SD card wokrs fine in my computer's card reader and a different SD card won't work in my CyBook hardware... I am totally disappointed: spent the big money, waited for many weeks and now I have a defective device.
That is bad. Bookeen definitely needs to figure out why and issue a patch.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:15 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sounds like a hardware issue. A patch I don't think will do. What I think Bookeen needs to do is send out a new unit and when the shipper is there to deliver the new unit, take back the defective unit.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:05 PM   #9
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sounds like a hardware issue. A patch I don't think will do. What I think Bookeen needs to do is send out a new unit and when the shipper is there to deliver the new unit, take back the defective unit.
Jon,

I had a reply back from Michael at Bookeen that I thought I should post and share with the rest of you at MR... Talk about rapid response!

So to answer your question, the SD slot *is* tested before shipping...

Derek

Hello Derek,

Sorry we have been a bit unresponsive on the issues raised by our customers and I hope that we will enhance this part of our company very fast.

We follow very closely these issues, the SD card problem is very annoying and we try to understand form where it can come from and how. In theory, it should not be possible, at least just after receiving the device because we always test the SD card reader.

The Library frozen issue, is also under investigation. We will clearly answer all these issues. And we will leave no one with a defective unit. We have been clearly surprised by our success and we are strengthening our support team to answer these questions and offering a good service support.

Regards,

Michael

Old 12-20-2007, 10:19 AM   #10
Arakin
Arakin began at the beginning.

Device: none
I ordered my Cybook without a memory card, but recently had reason to try using one.

The first one I used was not read by the Library. It showed up (and worked) fine as a storage device when the Cybook was plugged into my PC, but the Cybook did not register it.

I have had similar problems with a Garmin device - in both instances I was using a Kingston Ultra II card, which the Garmin explicitly mentions as being incompatible (I'm not sure why).

Sure enough, replacing with a Fujifilm 1GB card, it worked fine.

Not sure if this helps at all,
Stuart
Arakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 03:38 AM   #11
leeloo
multipass
leeloo began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Another data-point - the 1GB Sandisk SD card (just an ordinary SD card - not an Ultra or anything fancy) works perfectly. It does take a wee bit of effort to push the card in, and it might take a few seconds for the CyBook to get fully comfortable with it all, but after that things were fine. CyBook + SD card recognised as two drives by my Mac, and as a CyBook with lots of memory by MobiPocket Reader on WinXP (on Fusion, on my Mac).
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 03:46 AM   #12
delphidb96
Wizard

I use the older 2GB San Disk...

And it works fine. I've also tried, and found works, the newer 'generic' 4GB that kinda-sorta looks like a SanDisk, but without the actuall SanDisk name. It works fine as long as I've only put <=2GB of files on it. Go over that 2GB limit and it can't access the other files.

Derek
Old 12-22-2007, 03:53 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Best to avoid "Ultra" and other such fancy cards. The cheap basic ones are pretty much guaranteed to work; the fancy ones may not. Stick with 2GB cards as a max.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 05:36 AM   #14
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I use a SanDisk Ultra II 2G and it works perfectly.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:45 AM   #15
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
I had a problem with the sd card that arrived with my Gen 3 last week but this is now solved. It didn't stop my Gen3 from working but the card did not appear to be recognised.

I thought it was because there were no books on it so I connected it via a card reader to Windows. When I tried to drag some books onto the card Windows gave some cryptic message (can't remember what it was) that it could not do this.

So I formatted the card (FAT), created three folders: eBooks, Music and Pictures and then copied and pasted some ebooks into the ebook folder.

I then removed the card correctly from Windows (using the "safely remove hardware" icon) and inserted it into the Gen3 and switched on.

Perhaps I was lucky because the card has worked perfectly ever since.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote